Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Anyone haul a jet ski in their toy hauler?

I'd like to be able to take my jet ski on the single trailer and load it in my toy hauler. I have enough room if I stick the front end of the trailer into the bathroom. I'm thinking of mounting a hand crank or electric winch to the front floor of the garage to be able to pull the whole unit into the trailer without having to push all the weight myself. Then thinking of ways to strap it down so it doesn't move during travel.

Anyone do anything similar?

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

I know when I asked about carrying a small boat in ours someone chimed in and said they had done a jet ski in theirs. They said it worked but was hard to load and unload. And strapping it down was a pain. My plan is to get a 11'6'' Boston Whaler and put a folding tongue trailer. Then get one of Warn's portable winches to pull it in and out. Just saving up the extra money to get what I want.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Put a hitch on the back of the toyhauler and pull the jet ski behind it. Get a camera and monitor if you want to see it back there. I do it with a BBQ pit, there's a pic of it as my avatar.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

You could probably get away with an inexpensive ATV winch from Harbor Freight. Would I use that for recovery on my ATV? No. But for infrequent loading/unloading as you're describing? Yes. I also might put some strips of e-track down on the floor to give you some more versatility as to where and how you strap it down. I'd block the trailer wheels too...you don't want the trailer tongue acting like a battering ram on a hard stop. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Fast murray, I can't do the double trailers here in NY.

Taranwanderer, that's what I was thinking about, a cheap ATV winch from HF. My ski only weighs 1,000 lbs with a tank of gas, trailer can't be more than a couple hundred pounds max. Thinking I could get away with one of their lighter duty winches.

No camper, currently
Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Just wondering. How do you plan to launch the jetski?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Just wondering. How do you plan to launch the jetski?
With my truck. My plan is to load the jet ski on its trailer, into my toy hauler. If I can figure out a safe way to load and unload it, I can then launch it with my tow vehicle.

No camper, currently
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

I think you're onto something with a 'folding tongue', but what about adding a removable front axle with swivel wheels and a removable trailer tongue? Install the 'front axle' before dropping the trailer from the tow vehicle, remove or fold the tongue, push the jet ski rig into position, use a winch (electric or manual) which has a strap or rope (steel cable would need a fairlead roller to protect crest of the ramp) to pull the now 4 wheel trailer/cradle up into the toy hauler. With jet ski strapped to it's cradle prior to loading, may only need to strap the 'cradle' into it's position. Be sure to use major straps to the rear in case of panic stop. Hope this helps your ideal. Should also add, after unloading from the toy hauler ~ install the tongue or fold down, attach to tow vehicle and remove the temporary 'front' axle and wheels .. launch the jet ski and have fun!
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

A jet ski dolly may work for you. images of jet ski dollies
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

I want to still keep the ski on it's trailer so I can then launch it or take it to the local launch if we're at a campground that doesn't have their own. My biggest issues are how to mount a winch to the floor that I can remove when not bringing the jet ski. And how to chock\strap it down during travel.

No camper, currently
Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
I want to still keep the ski on it's trailer so I can then launch it or take it to the local launch if we're at a campground that doesn't have their own. My biggest issues are how to mount a winch to the floor that I can remove when not bringing the jet ski. And how to chock\strap it down during travel.
No worries for strapping down, as mentioned already -- install the track system go the floor. Same thing as installed in the mega toy haulers. You can buy it at Tractor Supply.
As for the the winch, it could be mounted on a base plate which could either slide over bolt heads or be restrained by a load strap attached to something else. Agàin, just more thoughts.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

I have done it before with a friend who uses it all the time. My father had a battery operated trailer mover which we used to do exactly what you are describing with a friends travel trailer toy hauler. He has since moved, he bought the mover from my dad and continues to use it. I don't know the exact name but is looked a lot like this. It also allowed him to move his trailer into extremely tight spots. Good luck.
https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...CIZm9CM_CkM%3A
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

So I picked up the winch from Harbor freight today. I have a few ideas on how to mount it so I don't have track on the floor when I'm not using it. Does anyone know what these toy hauler floors are made out of? I have the industrial rubber floor in the garage, is it just that on top of OSB or something? All I can see from the bottom is the tarp like material they covered the floor in.

No camper, currently
Old 09-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #14

XLR are plywood not sure about wolf pack

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Wolf pack

Wolf pack is also plywood
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #16

If I mount the winch on a hitch receiver plate, I'm wondering if I could use something like this. I can get a piece of steel tube to use between the floor and the receiver plate to make up the gap where the bumper typically is and it would get my winch up off the floor a little. Then use the bottom steel plate of this mount underneath my floor to add some strength. I would have to remove it completely when not using the winch, but might not be a bad option and would only need to drill 4 holes in the floor. Any thoughts?

No camper, currently
Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #17

If you peel back that plastic tarp-like material underneath, you'll probably find a few inches of insulation, and then the plywood above that.

If you want to make the winch removable (a good idea IMO,) maybe bolt a steel plate to the floor that has a receiver-type tube (maybe smaller) welded onto it perpendicular to the plate, with a cross-hole drilled in the tube and a cross-pin. Then you make a mount for the winch that slides down into the plate/tube, insert the pin so it stays put during use or transport, then pull the pin and unplug the wiring for removal when not in use. You could use heavy-duty plugs (like for snowplow use) for the electrical plugs to handle the amperage the winch needs. Good luck, post pics!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #18

Finally got around to this project. After a lot of thought of how I could mount a winch and not have holes in the floor or mounting brackets when the winch wasn't being used, here's what I came up with.

I mounted the winch to a steel plate, then connected that to two 1.5" square steel tubes.

I used these tee nuts that are secured with 3 screws. I found the floor joists in the garage and mounted these above them. I cut a 1 inch hole out of the rubber floor and mounted these to the plywood. I drilled the hole through the plywood and into the joists so when the winch is in place, the bolts I will use to secure it go all the way through the nut and into the joist.

Came out great, as the nuts and holding screws are flush with the rubber floor, so when not in use there's nothing on the floor to trip over. I may add 1 more nut in the middle to make sure it's good and secure before I try pulling the jet ski in.

No camper, currently
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #19

Great idea

Where did you get the hardware
And an update on how it works out
This is a great idea
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec1382 View Post
Where did you get the hardware
And an update on how it works out
This is a great idea
The Winch and plate that it's mounted on is from harbor freight. All the other hardware is from lowes.

I added the third nut in the floor. I feel confident it will be strong enough to pull the jet ski in.

Tags
toy hauler