Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Anyone haul a jet ski in their toy hauler?

I'd like to be able to take my jet ski on the single trailer and load it in my toy hauler. I have enough room if I stick the front end of the trailer into the bathroom. I'm thinking of mounting a hand crank or electric winch to the front floor of the garage to be able to pull the whole unit into the trailer without having to push all the weight myself. Then thinking of ways to strap it down so it doesn't move during travel.

Anyone do anything similar?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

I know when I asked about carrying a small boat in ours someone chimed in and said they had done a jet ski in theirs. They said it worked but was hard to load and unload. And strapping it down was a pain. My plan is to get a 11'6'' Boston Whaler and put a folding tongue trailer. Then get one of Warn's portable winches to pull it in and out. Just saving up the extra money to get what I want.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Put a hitch on the back of the toyhauler and pull the jet ski behind it. Get a camera and monitor if you want to see it back there. I do it with a BBQ pit, there's a pic of it as my avatar.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

You could probably get away with an inexpensive ATV winch from Harbor Freight. Would I use that for recovery on my ATV? No. But for infrequent loading/unloading as you're describing? Yes. I also might put some strips of e-track down on the floor to give you some more versatility as to where and how you strap it down. I'd block the trailer wheels too...you don't want the trailer tongue acting like a battering ram on a hard stop. Good luck!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Fast murray, I can't do the double trailers here in NY.

Taranwanderer, that's what I was thinking about, a cheap ATV winch from HF. My ski only weighs 1,000 lbs with a tank of gas, trailer can't be more than a couple hundred pounds max. Thinking I could get away with one of their lighter duty winches.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Just wondering. How do you plan to launch the jetski?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Just wondering. How do you plan to launch the jetski?
With my truck. My plan is to load the jet ski on its trailer, into my toy hauler. If I can figure out a safe way to load and unload it, I can then launch it with my tow vehicle.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

I think you're onto something with a 'folding tongue', but what about adding a removable front axle with swivel wheels and a removable trailer tongue? Install the 'front axle' before dropping the trailer from the tow vehicle, remove or fold the tongue, push the jet ski rig into position, use a winch (electric or manual) which has a strap or rope (steel cable would need a fairlead roller to protect crest of the ramp) to pull the now 4 wheel trailer/cradle up into the toy hauler. With jet ski strapped to it's cradle prior to loading, may only need to strap the 'cradle' into it's position. Be sure to use major straps to the rear in case of panic stop. Hope this helps your ideal. Should also add, after unloading from the toy hauler ~ install the tongue or fold down, attach to tow vehicle and remove the temporary 'front' axle and wheels .. launch the jet ski and have fun!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

A jet ski dolly may work for you. images of jet ski dollies
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

I want to still keep the ski on it's trailer so I can then launch it or take it to the local launch if we're at a campground that doesn't have their own. My biggest issues are how to mount a winch to the floor that I can remove when not bringing the jet ski. And how to chock\strap it down during travel.

Tags
toy hauler