Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Best way to tie down Ultra Classic

We have a 2017 PrimeTime Spartan 3210 toy hauler. Just purchased 2 WheelDocks for an Ultra Classic and a Heritage Softail Classic. Going to tie down wheel to WheelDock using their wheel strap, and tie down front end from forks to D rings pulling the ratchet straps forward. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to attach tie downs to the rear of the Ultra, pulling back to D rings on hauler? Yep we be newbies at this!
2harleysnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2harleysnus View Post
We have a 2017 PrimeTime Spartan 3210 toy hauler. Just purchased 2 WheelDocks for an Ultra Classic and a Heritage Softail Classic. Going to tie down wheel to WheelDock using their wheel strap, and tie down front end from forks to D rings pulling the ratchet straps forward. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to attach tie downs to the rear of the Ultra, pulling back to D rings on hauler? Yep we be newbies at this!
Passenger floor boards or rear crash bars. I have used either one. I have the WheelDock and bike is solid.
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyster View Post
Passenger floor boards or rear crash bars. I have used either one. I have the WheelDock and bike is solid.
Do you have your WheelDock bolted to the floor? Our hauler has a heated and enclosed underbelly and we are not bolting it to the floor (don't want to open up that can of worms) .. have it up against a 2"x4"x8' along the frame of the front wall of the garage. The way the Wheel Dock is built, there is nowhere for it to go. Thinking we may put rubber on the bottom of the WheelDock ... rubber on rubber floor, it won't slide anywhere. Your suggestions?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Do you have your WheelDock bolted to the floor? Our hauler has a heated and enclosed underbelly and we are not bolting it to the floor (don't want to open up that can of worms) .. have it up against a 2"x4"x8' along the frame of the front wall of the garage. The way the Wheel Dock is built, there is nowhere for it to go. Thinking we may put rubber on the bottom of the WheelDock ... rubber on rubber floor, it won't slide anywhere. Your suggestions?
Same as you heated underbelly. I put a 4x8 rubber mat down(kind of like a bed matt) and set the Dock on top and use straps from D-rings to the WDock. Then strap bike down. Looks like a maze with the straps but only takes 10 minutes to get bike loaded doing it this way.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

Strapping from floor D-rings to rings on wheeldock?
2008 Anniversary Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
*** Proud of our 3 Eagle Scouts! ***
Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Strapping from floor D-rings to rings on wheeldock?

Yes. >D<.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

I always use straps on my wheel chock (not bolted down) to the D rings on the toy hauler even though the bike (600+ lb beast) is also tied down from the forks to the D rings. I hit a "bump" on the freeway once that dang near sent the trailer airborne. The bike's front tire actually moved sidewards about 3" with the wheel chock. Now, no worries.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
our wolf13

Send a message via MSN to ourwolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to ourwolf13
strap down front wheel to eyelets on wheel dock then strap down from rear running boards forward and backwards with ratchet straps. hauled several thousand miles with no problem. I don't pull the front forks down since I went to the wheel dock.
ourwolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

What is this wheeldock you speak of? Where might I see one? I am looking to put my Ultra in my toy Hauler as well.
Thanks
johns3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns3962 View Post
What is this wheeldock you speak of? Where might I see one? I am looking to put my Ultra in my toy Hauler as well.
Thanks
Google WheelDock.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyster View Post
There are no such things as crash bars on a motorcycle. Those are engine guards and saddle bag guards. "Crash" and motorcycles are not a good match. This is where I insert LOL, I believe it is. Anyhow the way I do it is with Condor wheel chocks bolted to the deck and using the front engine guards attached at the top either crossed over the top of the frame or at least closer to center so as not to put too much strain on the guards. For the rear I have found that the foot pegs are the way to go as here again no strain on the bag guards. I just now took a look at the Wheeldock chock on the tube here and will be looking into that for the future.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #12

Titan Bulldog chock attached to angled metal which is then attached to the D-rings. The Bulldog chock uses a cam mechanism that clamps down on the tire as the bike is rolled in and then has a locking pin to keep the bike from rolling back.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Get yourself a Bar Harness. Problem solved.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Get yourself a Bar Harness. Problem solved.
What is a Bar Harness?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #15

Quote:
What is a Bar Harness?
Try Goggling it up. This is the 'electronic age'...

Hint, Bike Bandit sells them, so does Wallmart online.

All I tie my 3 bikes down with and I haul 2, to bike shows all over the country.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #16

WheelDock wheel chock

We installed 2 WheelDocks in the garage of our Spartan 3210 yesterday. It has a heated/enclosed underbelly; we didn't bolt it to the floor. Put a 2"x4"x8' under the door seal of the sliding glass door, fits really tight and won't move. Then put the WheelDock up against the 2"x4"x8'. We purchased 4 sets of tie down straps with wheel straps from WheelDock. Strap the wheel strap thru the wheel and hook it onto the eyes on the WheelDock and tighten. We strap both bikes (02 Ultra Classic and 08 Heritage Softail) the same way: Front:Take the soft tie end of the tie down and wrap around the lower forks and then hook to D-ring (pull forward) Rear: Take soft tie end of tie down and put around rear floor boards then hook to D-ring (pull back) Viola! Very easy.

Took the Spartan out on a test drive to see if the bikes would move around. Our driveway is quite long and extremely bumpy and there is a dip at the end where it meets the main road. We were rocking side to side like crazy. Went about 25 miles on another very bumpy road. Pulled over and checked the bikes. THEY NEVER MOVED and the ratcheting tie downs didn't loosen up a bit. Money well spent. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a good quality, well made product. www.wheeldock.com