Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Buying new toy hauler and dealers

Hey Y'all,

My DH and I have been looking at buying a new toy hauler. We have decided on a make and model and have a few optional items we want to have added.(We have been told it can be done)

We have contacted 4 dealers. Its been six weeks or so since we have been able to get ANY kind of a price on a unit. We do keep in touch with them weekly (sometimes two threes times a week) both by email and phone.

My issue is they want us to plop down money and sign a contract WITHOUT the benefit of a final price. I dont THINK SO!
And when I ask for a itemized quote sheet/price list...I get deer in the head lights. I am NOT signing anyhting until I see what I am getting!!

Has anyone else had an issues trying to buy a new unit? This has been the most drawn out process I have even been through. Worse than buying a house!

We are thinking about contatcing FR direct! Any suggestions, words of wisdom? Comments? PLEASE HELP

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Apparently business must be really good for RV dealers where you live.

When we bought our toy hauler, we did exactly what you described. We found what we wanted, customized it, and then e-mailed dealers that carried that model within a 1,000 mile radius. We got "out the door" prices from the dealers within 10 days. We decided to purchase our trailer from RV Wholesalers in Ohio.

Maybe you need to let the dealers you contacted that you are ready to buy now and they need to provide you with a price within xx days if they want to be considered.

It is difficult to do business with people who don't care. Imagine the type of service they would provide for your toy hauler down the road!

Best of luck!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

I know this is rare but

When we ordered ours ........I went to shows / on line / etc.........so had an idea of what the price should be ......... then...... Our dealer sat down with me, we worked up a option sheet he added his dealer prices (what ever that was) added a percentage.... said this is our price..... It was the best price I had seen we ordered it from there he threw in a few extras Puma up graded the TV ( probably because they did not have the standard size) ..... and we had a contract with all the options listed that were ordered. (35.5 ft toyhauler for under 30K that was even with the state sales tax & tags) No dealer prep cost no extra add ons.........
That was a year ago & all has been great!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We would like to deal with local dealer if possible. Last time we purcahsed an rv we wentto Indiana...got a great price and it was pain free. Noone around us even wanted to deal. Told us we could order and pay for a rv site unseen and they would get it for us. Nice people.

RV Wholesalers does not carry the work & play. We have told them we want to order ASAP.. Would have been nice to show up at the rally in a NEW rv.... but that;s not going to happen.

The only quote we have gotten is froma dealer in Florida and he want 37K and will not give me an itemized list and will not return my emials or phone calls when I have questions about the unit. Tuff tacos to him!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #5

Check with John at RVoutlet in Danville Va. Very good prices and excellent to deal with.
Superdutykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Always Learning

To be completely honest- I only cared about an "out the door price". I didn't need nor care about an itemized pricing list- I didn't care how they got to my price and that was it (heck, I saw a $5 "online fee" listed when I was signing papers). The price they quoted me was what I went to my bank for and got my loan for - not a dollar more.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

I know my Dealer (Norman Campers in Marietta, GA) can't help with your model of RV your wanting but he did review my order sheet line item by line item on pricing...very communicative & one of the best experiences getting what "I" wanted & not how they wanted the process to work out.

Just keep searching for the Dealer that fits your needs & go from there...Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
To be completely honest- I only cared about an "out the door price". I didn't need nor care about an itemized pricing list- I didn't care how they got to my price and that was it (heck, I saw a $5 "online fee" listed when I was signing papers). The price they quoted me was what I went to my bank for and got my loan for - not a dollar more.

We were the same way. Once we speced out the trailer and options, we just wanted to know the final price. I would certainly want a written quote signed by the sales manager or owner so things do not change after the order is placed.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
I would certainly want a written quote signed by the sales manager or owner so things do not change after the order is placed.
Yes, I 100% agree.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

I've bought 3 RV's new, I ordered the first one, wife just had to have it her way, the next two we bought off the lot. Your most likely going to pay 20-30% more if you order one now days.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Always Learning

James, I can't say that I disagree- but I feel differently. With ordering a unit, you're able to pit dealers against each other for them to come up with the best price. You're comparing apples-to-apples with units and prices offered.

I did my truck the same way and approached 4 local dealers and calmly explained that they weren't the only ones that I was contacting.

Maybe it makes me a jerk (or maybe many other things do ) but it worked for me.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

In our situation, we ordered our 5'ver we have now, paid $4-5K less than units sitting on the lot & those units were "priced to sell"...wink, wink!

Our Dealer we choose, explained he can offer a better price to those who order due to him knowing the unit is sold vs one sitting on the lot for months or longer as he pays his floor space fee on it.
That's the route we're taking from now on after making purchases boy ways in the past...only my 2 cents (with inflation, worth about 1.25 cent)!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
I've bought 3 RV's new, I ordered the first one, wife just had to have it her way, the next two we bought off the lot. Your most likely going to pay 20-30% more if you order one now days.
Sorry I disagree......We got a much better deal ordering it than from our dealer than the other dealers quoted on their on the lot trailers ......
Our dealer just did not have any THs on the lot he beat their prices by thousands & was closer to home

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hey Y'all,

My DH and I have been looking at buying a new toy hauler. We have decided on a make and model and have a few optional items we want to have added.(We have been told it can be done)

We have contacted 4 dealers. Its been six weeks or so since we have been able to get ANY kind of a price on a unit. We do keep in touch with them weekly (sometimes two threes times a week) both by email and phone.

My issue is they want us to plop down money and sign a contract WITHOUT the benefit of a final price. I dont THINK SO!
And when I ask for a itemized quote sheet/price list...I get deer in the head lights. I am NOT signing anyhting until I see what I am getting!!

Has anyone else had an issues trying to buy a new unit? This has been the most drawn out process I have even been through. Worse than buying a house!

We are thinking about contatcing FR direct! Any suggestions, words of wisdom? Comments? PLEASE HELP
The XLR team would be more than willing to help you out on this if we can. You can PM me and let me know where you're located and what you're searching for.
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #15

Before you buy check out RVOutlet in Ringgold, Virginia. Website is: www.rv007.com. I have compared dozens of other RV dealers and have yet to find a competitive price.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.beck.7737 View Post
Before you buy check out RVOutlet in Ringgold, Virginia. Website is: www.rv007.com. I have compared dozens of other RV dealers and have yet to find a competitive price.
This is where we bought our XLR from. These guys rock. Especially Zach Reeves

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote