Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Columbus toy hauler tires

I know there is much debate and views on tires. Has anyone changed their tires on the columbus toy hauler? Mine had a blowout being delivered from factory to Florida. To me that is not a real good sign of the quality of tires they put on these things. I don't want a blowout and I am looking to change out to a better tire. Not sure to go with the goodyear g614 or the michelin ribs. And which one would fit better. I know the 16" rims are rated for 110psi which helps increasing to better tire. Or should I spend even more money and go with the 17.5" rim with heavier rated tire?
Doctorj007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

How much weight are you carrying in the garage?
How much clearance will you have between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well with the 16 inch and with the 17.5?

Putting on to large of a tire solves nothing.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

I'm carrying a 1600lb golf cart. The load of tire is not what I'm worried about. It's the side wall strength. With a triple axle trailer there is a lot of stress on sidewall of tires when maneuvering.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorj007 View Post
I'm carrying a 1600lb golf cart. The load of tire is not what I'm worried about. It's the side wall strength. With a triple axle trailer there is a lot of stress on sidewall of tires when maneuvering.
How often do you turn your rig sharp enough for it to be a problem?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

I've had no problems with light truck tires on my Cougar 5th wheel trailer. We are long haulers being I drive from La. to Colorado two times a year for the past fourteen years. Every other year I would loose not one but several tires in route. I don't care if someone says they would never use anything but trailer tires on there camper but I'm not going to be on the side of I-40 anymore changing tires.
Loren Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #6

Thanks for your input. I am still deciding. I certainly don't want to be changing tires along a busy highway. As matter of fact, I don't want to have to change a flat at all. Now I have to decide which rims as well. I have aluminum rated for 110psi but everyone says to go steel.

Tags
columbus, tire, tires, toy hauler