Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
Conclusion to My 40D12 Frame Screw-Up

40D12 Lippert Frame Screw-Up

Well. Just an update in case anyone ever comes across this issue. Its been almost a year. FR said the typical, "Its Lippert's frame, its Lippert's warranty issue."

So they gave me Lippert's number and I talked with Tom at LCI. He seemed fairly interested but he said if the frame was built to FR's specs, its not their problem.

Last Friday, I sent him all my pics of the frame bracket location and the damaged tire with all my info. like VIN and frame numbers, etc..

Today I received an email from him stating "This outrigger is located to the print. This concern will need to go to Forest River the outrigger is to print."

In other words, they built it like FR told them to.

Not sure what to tell others with this issue. Its an obvious safety issue but nothing's going to happen. My guess is if they haven't fixed this, they will be doing so in the future on future models.

Just wrapping up how this all turned out. I've had a few other issues that FR has been very difficult to work with so now its time to move on. The only power I really have is to take my money somewhere else in the future. Safe travels.
__________________

KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Blackrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Arizona's Gila Vally
Posts: 1,176
I went from FR to a Keystone 5th wheel. So far so good.
__________________

__________________
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,515
Did you ever hear anything about the NHTSA complaint?
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
A guy from the NHTSA called me but he was more interested in my weights. My guess is they are having numerous complaints about stated weights (go figure). But if my one little complaint gets no more attention from others, my guess is they just let those go.

After I took the Vengeance to a local dealer and one of the things to tackle was this bracket, FR did say the bracket just needed to be ground down to provide clearance for the tire. Of course, when I told Tom at FR, he about flipped a lid. But I told him it was either that or cut all the way through the tire. He acknowledged I had no other recourse but the idea of cutting away a support bracket really bothered him.

What is left of the bracket appears to be doing fine. So as I said (and Blackrock) added, we'll run this Vengeance until its time to go. Then it'll be a Fuzion, Raptor, Momentum, etc. in my future.

Sad though. We've always been done pretty well until now but with all the discussions I've had with FR, its as if there's a whole different mindset there. Now its the old, "save a dime at the expense of a dollar". In other words, deny or pass off as much as we can, even though that customer will probably take his $75,000 elsewhere the next go round. This $325 tire claim will certainly cost them my next RV purchase. But its cool. Not bitter. There are other toy haulers out there.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 162
That is a sad story, something really minor to fix and FR really doesn't seem to care about their customers.

Years ago I had a fiver (different brand) with too much frame flex. Another forum member found the same issue. The manufacturer and Lippert listened to us, checked out his unit at the factory and agreed a fix was needed. Part of the fix was defined by me. Within 6 weeks, there was a permanent change to the frame design for new units and at least 2 more units were repaired. But I couldn't get them to do a general recall, it would have cost a lot of money since front cap removal was required.

Anyway, you have done the right things to protect yourself and seek help for others. I would only add that any welder can reinforce your 'L' outrigger with 1/4" plate steel welded to it to compensate.
__________________
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer since '01
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS toyhauler
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Orlando
Posts: 669
I guess we lucked out with our Rockwood TT, no problems. However, in 2019 we plan on a 5th wheel and were considering a Riverstone. It's concerning when you see stories like this though. Might have to check out the reviews on a Jayco Pinnacle.
__________________
2018 Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW
2019 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 441
Went from 2015 Forest River Salem to 2011 Wind River made by Outdoors RV. No comparison and couldn't be happier with the quality of build and assistance from their factory!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hurst TX
Posts: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to jallen02
Suspension Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
40D12 Lippert Frame Screw-Up

Well. Just an update in case anyone ever comes across this issue. Its been almost a year. FR said the typical, "Its Lippert's frame, its Lippert's warranty issue."

So they gave me Lippert's number and I talked with Tom at LCI. He seemed fairly interested but he said if the frame was built to FR's specs, its not their problem.

Last Friday, I sent him all my pics of the frame bracket location and the damaged tire with all my info. like VIN and frame numbers, etc..

Today I received an email from him stating "This outrigger is located to the print. This concern will need to go to Forest River the outrigger is to print."

In other words, they built it like FR told them to.

Not sure what to tell others with this issue. Its an obvious safety issue but nothing's going to happen. My guess is if they haven't fixed this, they will be doing so in the future on future models.

Just wrapping up how this all turned out. I've had a few other issues that FR has been very difficult to work with so now its time to move on. The only power I really have is to take my money somewhere else in the future. Safe travels.
Try contacting Trailer Life Resolutions, 2750 Park View Court, Suite 240 Oxnard, California 93036. This is a add in trailer life magazine and they have solved alot of issues with manufactures, give them a try and see if they can assist you. Best of Luck
jallen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 369
FR Cooperation

Just to be clear, I've had a few issues with Forest River (things that FR was responsible for, not appliances, etc) and I have talked to FR reps in Rialto, CA. Although they are obviously very busy, they have always been polite and have helped.I recently was shipped a replacement small appliance that had failed on my 2014 Wildwood. All of my complaints in the past have been with supplied items that the do not build themselves.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
Had issues with my Flagstaff. Things the dealer did poor work on plus other issues. Contacted Forrest River. TT went back to factory and all issues were fixed. Very satified with the service.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
My 2017 40 D12 does not have those brackets. It is not in my yard right now but I remember looking when you first posted.
Jim
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 77
When the RV business is booming, as it is right now, all they care about is sales. It will cost them when sales eventually slows down.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Storm View Post
My 2017 40 D12 does not have those brackets. It is not in my yard right now but I remember looking when you first posted.
Jim
Imagine that. I just emailed Tom at LCI to confirm this change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
When the RV business is booming, as it is right now, all they care about is sales. It will cost them when sales eventually slows down.
It does appear this way, doesn't it?
__________________

KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
frame

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


×