Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Do TH's hold their value better than TT's

Shopping for our first RV - which will presumably be a TH bumper pull. I have heard the TH's hold their value better than TT's - is this true? What would you say is the most popular/desirable length of bumper pull TH? Seem like there are a lot more TH 5th wheels than bumper pulls for sale in my area. Can I expect to get 15 years out of a TH if it is garaged since new? Looking at the WNP line.
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #2

I have the 26rr Grey Wolf. It's 31' long. I like it. I had my last tt for 8 years. Was still in great shape only traded because bought motorcycle and needed TH.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

I bought a 3 month old 27hfs from the dealer that sold it new and it was returned to buy a bigger 5th wheel toyhauler. We camped with it for 22 months (12 trips) and sold it for $900 less than I bought it for. ($18,600 to 17,750)

Stored it inside and kept it looking pretty good. Washed every trip and waxed it a couple times.

Overall it was a good entry into camping for my family. We got into RZRs so our 27hfs became too small pretty quick. My wife would not be willing to buy an open floorplan toy hauler like a work and play bumperpull as she required the separate garage (for the kids bedroom). Guess it depends on what your after.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Supply and demand...... there are less THs made so yes I would say they MAY hold their value longer...... Depends on the area and the TH...

The life span is like any camper depends on usage, care and maintenance.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

I would say no simply from having a few friends who bought TH's then tried to sell them. Its a niche market. You need to find a buyer with toys to put in it. No one is going to buy one who does not have bikes or ATV's. When you get down to it its just another RV. It could also be a regional thing.

I wouldn't expect to get 15 years out of any lower / middle range laminated fiberglass or stick and tin anything made today.

Don't fall into the first time buyer traps.

1- Do your research, especially when it comes to dealer and price.
2- Do not pay some inflated price or MSRP.
3- Don't finance a 20K to 45K trailer for 8/10/12 years.
4- Don't expect it to be something its not from a financial perspective.
5- I personally would not buy one outright cash even though I can. I'll put a decent down payment but finance at a good rate and only for 60 or 72 months. I usually then throw some extra at the payments to keep the value I know I can out of it above water, in relation to amount owed.

If you pay a fair price you still lose 25% to 30% the day you sign the papers and pull it away. If you attempt to sell privately you're going to be lucky to get the low book value at the time. Sometimes people make out better from a selling perspective, but that's the exception rather than the rule. If you trade on another trailer you're going to get wholesale, the low book at the time less 30% to 35%. That's why you do not want to be upside down on financing.

RV's are terrible from a financial standpoint, but great from a fun standpoint. Forget about holding value, you'll be better off.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I would say no simply from having a few friends who bought TH's then tried to sell them. Its a niche market. You need to find a buyer with toys to put in it. No one is going to buy one who does not have bikes or ATV's. When you get down to it its just another RV. It could also be a regional thing.

I wouldn't expect to get 15 years out of any lower / middle range laminated fiberglass or stick and tin anything made today.

Don't fall into the first time buyer traps.

1- Do your research, especially when it comes to dealer and price.
2- Do not pay some inflated price or MSRP.
3- Don't finance a 20K to 45K trailer for 8/10/12 years.
4- Don't expect it to be something its not from a financial perspective.
5- I personally would not buy one outright cash even though I can. I'll put a decent down payment but finance at a good rate and only for 60 or 72 months. I usually then throw some extra at the payments to keep the value I know I can out of it above water, in relation to amount owed.

If you pay a fair price you still lose 25% to 30% the day you sign the papers and pull it away. If you attempt to sell privately you're going to be lucky to get the low book value at the time. Sometimes people make out better from a selling perspective, but that's the exception rather than the rule. If you trade on another trailer you're going to get wholesale, the low book at the time less 30% to 35%. That's why you do not want to be upside down on financing.

RV's are terrible from a financial standpoint, but great from a fun standpoint. Forget about holding value, you'll be better off.
X's 2 on this. It's really not an investment, it's to have fun same as boats. I have had both..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

I originally bought a toy hauler because I wanted something to haul the Harley with. But, I've decided that if/when I upgrade and no longer needed to haul a toy around I would still get a toy hauler model. That would give me the opportunity to complete the 10-12 foot garage area to a "custom" room designed the way I want it done. I would also like the option of dropping the rear door to have the "patio" deck.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I originally bought a toy hauler because I wanted something to haul the Harley with. But, I've decided that if/when I upgrade and no longer needed to haul a toy around I would still get a toy hauler model. That would give me the opportunity to complete the 10-12 foot garage area to a "custom" room designed the way I want it done. I would also like the option of dropping the rear door to have the "patio" deck.

X2 on still a TH even if I did not have toys.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
If you "have the cash," this only makes sense IF the interest rate on the loan is less than what you're getting on your cash. Otherwise, you're losing money.
Unless your plan is declare bankruptcy before the loan's paid off and stiff the loan company.

Only other reason would be that the cash you would be using is what you need for an emergency stash, in which case, maybe you're buying too much RV. (I know I'll lambasted on this statement!)

Here's another reason not to finance if you can help it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1049804

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you "have the cash," this only makes sense IF the interest rate on the loan is less than what you're getting on your cash. Otherwise, you're losing money.
Unless your plan is declare bankruptcy before the loan's paid off and stiff the loan company.

Only other reason would be that the cash you would be using is what you need for an emergency stash, in which case, maybe you're buying too much RV. (I know I'll lambasted on this statement!)

Here's another reason not to finance if you can help it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1049804
X4! Only use OPM when you can make money with it. Not likely with TT, MH, or Boat.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
X2 on still a TH even if I did not have toys.
X3 on TH. We do not haul toys but a couple of the kids use it and do. When we upgrade, we are thinking of 30ft Class A, but if we stay with a trailer we will stay with a TH. We camp a fair amount and when it rains or turns too cold outside, we enjoy that everyone can collect in our TH which although only 24 feet of house, allows us to seat and when necessary due to weather, FEED up to 8 all sitting. The Small Class A's in our group and the 20 to 25 TT's just do not have the entertainment space. (Oh and I can carry unlimited quantities of tables, chairs, things, tools, BBQs and Stuff -- over DW's objection)
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Exactly.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #13

Good question. In my area toy haulers are used harder and I think that generally drives the market price lower. Your mileage may vary.
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
Shopping for our first RV - which will presumably be a TH bumper pull. I have heard the TH's hold their value better than TT's - is this true? What would you say is the most popular/desirable length of bumper pull TH? Seem like there are a lot more TH 5th wheels than bumper pulls for sale in my area. Can I expect to get 15 years out of a TH if it is garaged since new? Looking at the WNP line.
I will address three of your questions. You see more th being sold because as people become older and their family grows the no longer need to haul their toys, they need to haul their kids, lol! As for 5ers compaired to ball hitches, 5er's are easier to pull so more popular.

As for 15 years, a lot depends on the model and where it was used. My 5er, an 08 so 8 years old, came up from Florida. Don't know if garage kept or not but shows very little wear and tear. I would guess it was not used that often. I am having the roof sealed right now because the roof is showing some stress cracks. This doesn't surprise me for an 8 year old unit. It is a Rockwood so not a cheaply made trailer. I don't care what you buy you can expect to have to do some maintenance on it over 15 years.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

I better get a good resale price when I upgrade. Mines only almost 2 years old and just as a precaution I am having the roof and actually the entire 295ULSBS resealed/caulked. It was already in the repair place for its second awning motor replacement 8(
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblack22 View Post
I better get a good resale price when I upgrade. Mines only almost 2 years old and just as a precaution I am having the roof and actually the entire 295ULSBS resealed/caulked. It was already in the repair place for its second awning motor replacement 8(
I just had the roof on my 08 8280ss 5er done. Product they used has a 50 year warrantee so basically life time. The sealer is called Gaco Roof Sealant.

Silicone Roof Coatings

They charged me $500.00 but I will never have to worry about leaks. That makes it worth every penny to me! Leaks are one of the major problems with any trailer.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

X4 on always having a TH even if I don't have any toys. The garage space is great to have even on trips where we don't bring the bikes--storage, "mud room" type of entry to keep dirty/wet shoes out of the main living area, "drying room" to hang towels or bathing suits--you name it. Having that space is awesome, even if it means less 'living space."
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #18

In May of this year we bought a 2016 Grey Wolf 27RR bumper pull TH. In July we upgraded to a 2016 Puma Unleashed 5th wheel TH. It cost us 800.00 to learn that we should have bought the bigger 5th wheel right off the bat. So far, I am amazed at how well the TH hold their value. We spent 6 months shopping for used first and it did not make sense for us to buy a used one in this area due to the crazy high prices they were fetching! We decided it made more sense to pay a tad more and get a new one.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #19

Its a good idea to know how you will use it. We have a WolfPack 27TH bumper pull with a 6000 lb cargo capacity. Its an open floor plan and we can carry 4 Harleys or 2 Harleys and our 32 Ford. We never spend any time inside except to sleep and bathe. If u r the camper who sits in a big recliner and watches TV in the ac dont buy a toy hauler.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
Its a good idea to know how you will use it. We have a WolfPack 27TH bumper pull with a 6000 lb cargo capacity. Its an open floor plan and we can carry 4 Harleys or 2 Harleys and our 32 Ford. We never spend any time inside except to sleep and bathe. If u r the camper who sits in a big recliner and watches TV in the ac dont buy a toy hauler.
I wouldn't go that far. We sit in the AC (or heat, depending on the season) and watch TV in our TH quite often. We just bought a floor plan that is comfortable to do so. It sounds like your toy hauler is more garage and less living space, especially if you can carry 4 Harleys in a 27 foot rig. Not all floor plans are like that.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote