Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

The Butch Bed Saver Review is in the product review area.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kit-22699.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #22

Our hitch has a lock pin that will not go into place unless the fifth wheel pin is fully captured. Simple, but 100% foolproof.
I like 100% foolproof!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #23

I cannot release my jaw inless the pin is fully fdw in the hitch head, so not worried about stupid people pulling the handle out plus it is locked, but I am going to install one of these butchservices asap. cheap ins..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #24

After making an incredibly stupid mistake the first year we owned a fifth wheel (2003), I now use a checklist all the time, every time. At the end of a very long day of driving I rushed myself trying to get unhitched and I actually unhitched without have the landing gear down. I really lucked out that time and only put superficial damage on the truck. Since then I use a checklist for hitching and unhitching all the time, every time, and never rush myself.

I also do a test pull after hitching up, put a lock on the hitch latch, and have paint on the locking jaws so I can see they have captured the kingpin.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #25

I dropped my 41ft XLR on my F-450 and did about $3500 damage. As a result I learned:

Do not put blocks under the front jacks more than 2 inches thick.

Put X chocks between the trailer tires to lock the trailer in place.

An alternative to the X chocks is to connect your electrical cable from the RV to the truck and lock down the RV brakes before you make the final backward movement to lock the pin into the hitch.

Purchase a Bed Saver. I purchased the one made by Blue Ox, though I may purchase the one by Anderson.

Do not depend on those orange or yellow plastic chocks to keep the trailer from rolling.

I agree that Hitch manufacturers should make the Bed Saver standard equipment on all fifth wheel hitches.

All RV Dealers should recommend that the buyer purchase a Bed Saver and have it installed by the dealer prior to leaving the dealership with a brand new and expensive Fifth Wheel RV until such time as the Bed Saver becomes standard equipment.

I like the idea of painting the closure jaws of the hitch yellow to make it easier to verify that the pin is locked in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #26

I stuff a 4X6 cement block between the tires on both sides here at home, on the road I use four rubber wheel chocks from Harbor Freight two behind and two in front of the tires.

I can hear the jaws lock but I GOAL just to be sure.
Tug test before lifting the legs.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #27

Man! I do the same thing you did and I haven't had anything go wrong but after reading this I will purchase wheel chocks that will do the job of keeping the rug in place. I do a tug test and GOAL before I ride. Thanks for the input. I feel for you.
Donnieburnett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #28

ok... I prolly wasted my $85.00, but I will feel better anyway. I ordered me one from Butch's. I don't think my hitch will close unless its coupled...

I am old and piece of mind is good...
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy51200 View Post
I just had my RV cover installed Friday 1-11-13 and need to move the trailer Saturday afternoon to do some prep work under the new cover . I backed the truck under the trailer as I always do, latched the Butch services bed saver , done a pull test and Boom , it came unhitched and the king pin caught on the bed saver as advertised . This was totally my fault for not checking and making sure the latch on the hitch was in place , I was in a hurry. This was a totally human error on my part because the latch never closed and I didn't check it . Thanks so much for this product !!!

No 5th wheel hitch should be without one !!! Best money I have ever spent !!!

get yours here :
Home Butch's Services
Out of curiosity - what made you latch the butch's bed saver, but not actually check that your hitch was latched? What made one stand out in your mind over the other?

(Just curious as I'm known to be absentminded. )
Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
I used a padlock to secure the latching handle on my BMW Hitch. I do this because in Yuma, AZ a few years ago, some kids were going through the parking lots (Walmart, Sams Club, etc.) pulling the latches on the hitches.

Now I'll be adding a B&W Companion Hitch to my hauler, and will see how that mechanism can be secured.

Never did find out how many suffered damage, but it was quite a few.

RodeoGeorge
This is seems to be impossible with a B&W Companion. I can't get my handle to budge if there is weight on the hitch at all. I have to see daylight between the two before I can open the jaws.

BUT- I've read people putting a padlock where the pin goes to lock the handle in place.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #31
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Out of curiosity - what made you latch the butch's bed saver, but not actually check that your hitch was latched? What made one stand out in your mind over the other?

(Just curious as I'm known to be absentminded. )
I keep looking at this thread and wondering the same thing but I did not want to be the first to ask that question...
You would still have to remember to latch Butch's saver device, wouldn't you? So if you forget one, why wouldn't you forget the other??
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #32
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is seems to be impossible with a B&W Companion. I can't get my handle to budge if there is weight on the hitch at all. I have to see daylight between the two before I can open the jaws.

BUT- I've read people putting a padlock where the pin goes to lock the handle in place.
That is one of the features I love about my B&W!! It is impossible to mis-hitch or high hitch a B&W and until you get most of the pin weight off you are not releasing the latch. And the fact that the latch bar will not move to the locked position unless the jaws are over centered AND locked is awesome. I guess if somebody was anal enough you could put a lock where the latch pin goes, would just be an impediment to a brilliant device IMHO.
And it is made in America, unlike some other stuff out there....
Old 09-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #33
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post

That is one of the features I love about my B&W!! It is impossible to mis-hitch or high hitch a B&W and until you get most of the pin weight off you are not releasing the latch. And the fact that the latch bar will not move to the locked position unless the jaws are over centered AND locked is awesome. I guess if somebody was anal enough you could put a lock where the latch pin goes, would just be an impediment to a brilliant device IMHO.
And it is made in America, unlike some other stuff out there....
Ditto on the PullRite hitches also...and made in USA!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #34

I also have the B&W and the DW insists I padlock the hitch lever once the jaws lock. I also do a test pull with the landing gear about 6", just to make sure. I can also testify that the B&W will not unlatch with weight on it.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Both the DW and I check the hitch, do a pull test each time. She reminds me to do so. I have also painted the latch on the Reese, it also has a flag built in that prevents the safety pin from being installed. The reese is one big claw that comes in from 1 side as opposed to 2 claws one from each side. Not sure if this is better or not. My dealer only sells 2 hitches, one is Reese 16k and the other is Reese Elite. I wanted pucks.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #36

I wouldn't be so sure about the B&W not unlatching with weight on the pin. Had the same thing as a previous poster happen with my brother-in-laws trailer. So used to a gooseneck it was just a habit to reach in and release the jaws before landing gear and chocks. Released the handle and moved around to start chocking the tires. As he lowered gears the jaws released and trailer started rolling. Fortunately very minimal damage to both.

Though you are right that the jaws won't open with weight, if handle was released would think that the wrong bump could release the jaws. Can definitely say I learned from that experience. I will also be using a padlock from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #37
Infractee

Not sure about yours but my handle will not move at all with the pin weight on the 5th wheel.
If the handle will not move the jaws can not release.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #38

I just got my Butch's 5th wheel hitch safety latch in the mail yesturday so going to install it today. Very nice kit, comes with everything you need except tools and drill. Let's see there were drill bits, a punch, ink pens, gloves and directions for the install. Very Nice kit!!!
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #39

I have a B&W. What I am I missing? I can unlatch it with weight on it.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #40

I have a Reese and I don't unlatch mine until the front landing gear are down and I don't raise the gear until I know the pen latch is closed, but I'm still installing the Butch's safety latch today case my old self ever messes up. LOL $85 with shipping to prvent $4000 in damages is good insurance for me.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, sierra, wheel