Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
As a guy who went from a 29' Bumper pull TT to a 30' 5th wheel TH, here's my take.

You don't necessarily need toys to enjoy the benefits of a TH. It's great having that garage out there! Store stuff, strap it down to the tie downs, have a little garage fridge, enter that way if it's raining/muddy out to keep the dirt out of your living quarters, and most of the new ones have the happy jack bed that winches down from the ceiling to store the kids at night.

The garage area is water resistant, but I wouldn't wash my muddy ATV in there, that's what the outside shower is for. Which, BTW, is just a hose with hot and cold faucets on it, it's not an enclosure. You could use it to shower yourself, but the neighbors might look at you funny.

The 5-er vs bumper pull: I'll never go back to bumper pull if I can avoid it, the 5-er tows so nicely! Also, X2 on the B&W turnover ball and B&W Companion. It can be removed so you can have your bed flat for other uses, just be careful on your total weight as the Companion set up isn't rated as high (weight wise) as some other, permanently mounted hitches.

My TH has the fuel tank (for the generator and fuel station.) I don't have either of those options. I bought an external, portable generator, but I wish I had ordered the fuel station.

Truck: my 2500 diesel tows and stops my rig fine (X2 on the exhaust brake!) Don't let anyone talk you out of diesel. It's more expensive, no two ways about it, but it's worth it. Plus good luck pulling a rig that large into any gas station or truck stop and trying to find a GAS pump to pull in to, when the big rig pumps (that you can easily fit into) are all diesel. It's the right tool for the job. 3500 will be nicer for the size you're dealing with, and has a better payload to deal with not only the weight of your camper (pin) but also the weight of your family (I am not trying to imply that anyone in your family is fat, just saying that when you start piling adults, kids, dogs, firewood, and other gear/crap into your truck, you can exceed it's payload in a hurry, and 3500 is better equipped for this.)

Good luck, and have fun shopping! The longer XLRs at Hershey had me drooling...

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
if a new truck is needed, the price between a 3/4 and 1 ton is under $1,000. Not enough to be an issue. No sense convincing yourself you can deal with smaller just to trade up on everything in a year like most of us have done. Do it once and do it big.
WE love our 42'er. LOL, go big or go home. I would buy what you want also you can practice pulling it before driving home in the dealers lot. You will get used to it just like anything else you havent tried. There's a first time for everything. We all had a first time or we would be on the front porch with the dog watching birds fly by. LOL Enjoy you only live once. Keep us posted and post pics of your new rig.

2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
As you have seen lots of suggestions. The price & quality of the Puma 351 is hard to beat.

I would go with the one ton truck. Have seen many towed with a 3/4 but not for me.

Having owned a little of everything I would highly recommend a Toyhauler over a standard trailer. Lots more versatility.

Our Puma 356 QLB has 4 queen beds plus the table bed. 3-4 separate sleeping areas. Ours has a sliding glass door between the garage & living area so larger living area.

Garage not water proof but some mud would not hurt the garage.

Pumas in the low 30K range a lot of TH for the money. See Country Roads RVs Web site for examples of pricing info.

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

I had the dealer hook up the trailer I wanted to one of his shop trucks and he let me drive it. I was anxious but not scared. I practiced in a no traffic industrial area for backing up. Much better than practicing on the fly at a site.

Good luck.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #15
Originally Posted by dustycoyote View Post
wow. thanks for the tips.

Also, you brought up a good point. There is only one Palomino dealer in my area, and they don't deal in toy haulers. I also don't know if they would be willing to match the pricing I am seeeing online from dealers in Ohio/Indiana area. What does everyone think about buying from a dealer in another region? I understand that service at the local dealer can be a problem....
I highly recommend you check with RVWholesalers. I've bought several campers from them in the past few years, as well as other family members, and we've always been well taken care of. They beat local dealers by several thousand dollars EVERY time. As far as warranty work: 1. RVW has a nationwide service network and you will have no problem getting work done. 2. Why would you pay thousands of dollars extra for a camper with no additional value other than being able to get warranty work done? (this argument doesn't even take into account point #1!) You could pay out of pocket(though you won't have to, see point #1) for a LOT of MAJOR repairs with what you save. I'm on my second Palomino Puma and my in laws have one- they've all been great and you really get a lot of camper for the money. I, too, was very nervous about buying from a dealer 1000 miles away on the first one. Glad I took the plunge as I've saved a LOT of money and had much better service than most folks get from their local dealers. Just read through the forums and you'll see lots of nightmares about local dealer service- and lots of threads where RVW went above and beyond to take care of their customers.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
What does the length have to do with the repairs? I will say that is a lot of trailer for a first timer but you are avoiding the upgrades from smaller rigs.
asquared, you took the thoughts right out of my head. I didn't understand what the connection was, either. Especially being one that quickly jumped up through the ranks from pop-up to 42' fifth wheel.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
Maybe he's implying that the bigger the rig, the bigger the boo-boos. Like if you take a corner to close with a pop up, it's going to be several hundred dollars damage, but with a 42' 5-er, it'll be more like thousands of dollars of damage. I guess it is easier to mess up and/or forget something with a bigger rig, esp if you don't use your checklist!
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
First, I applaud your research before the purchase. If you go with short box, then get an AUTOMATIC sliding hitch like the Pullrite Superglide. I agree on a 350/3500 minimum. I would also recommend DRW and 8' box if you can stand it. Then the truck will be the last one you need. My 1st camper was a 40' Titanium TH 5th wheel tat was well matched to a SRW F350 diesel. The 2nd 5th wheel was a 43' KZ Stoneridge so a Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW 8' box was needed. The dually was much more stable and comfortable to drive even though the trailer was larger and heavier.
You mentioned the desire to camp in more wooded, rustic settings - that probably won't be easy with a 37' trailer.
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
All I was trying to say is that it takes considerable skill to drive and maneuver a 40 ft rig plus the length of the tow vehicle. I had to go through a learning curve that included dropping my rig in the ditch as I was turning into my driveway, dropping the rig on the bed of my F-450 and clipping a sign post in a campground. After all of those trials, I think I have learned to be a fair driver of my outfit. There is a lot of difference between a 34 ft WildCat, for example, and a 41 ft XLR TH. JUST SAYING!
Using Tapatalk
robert.beck.7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #20

Don't need the toy hauler for toys right now but will get some in the next year or two. We really like the idea of a separate are for the kids that is easily cleanable.
Use your Imagination, Toy haulers can have many uses, not just ATV's and Motorcycles. Like you mentioned area for kids, nice for rainy days. Also makes a good wheelchair ramp, area for pets, etc.

doodler is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, first time, toy hauler, wheel