Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

Forest River warranty in Canada

Hey guys I'm buying a new forest river RV in the US and was wondering if there was any non bios canadian (edmonton area) RV dealers out there that will service my unit without any hassle? I know buy local to support your business but when they are 15k more than down south I'd rather line my pockets than someone else's. thanks guys'll
MOZDZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior moment Junior Memb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOZDZL View Post
Hey guys I'm buying a new forest river RV in the US and was wondering if there was any non bios canadian (edmonton area) RV dealers out there that will service my unit without any hassle? I know buy local to support your business but when they are 15k more than down south I'd rather line my pockets than someone else's. thanks guys'll
You must decide what tolerance you have for living with a major purchase without dealer support. Most of the systems of an RV are warranted by the manufacturers, not FR. The frame, structure, and assembly is warranted by FR. First, in my mind would to be contact FR to see who in your area will support their warranty. Possibly an independent RV repair facility with an agreement with FR. Likely no dealer will be thrilled to perform service being that they make their money on the sales end. If you did find one to support you, i would be prepared to be on the low end of their priority chain, understandable. You have to roll the dice, live with the results. 15K sounds good now. Possibly not so good if you find that your roof was installed on friday before a major holiday.
:
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Canadian dealers will not touch your RV. I purchased my trailer in USA, and the local dealers here will not even work on it if I paid them. It was well worth the 9K I saved though
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOZDZL View Post
Are the two units apples to apples exact same options? That seems like too big a price difference to be same options.
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Yes actually more options I custom ordered it to a Canadian spec.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Ensure that your unit meets or exceeds Canadian and Provincial codes.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #7

Here's a thought... ask your local dealer to sell you that US model. If they ask for $1500 more markup is that unreasonable?

I just bought, and I priced in the US for the sake of pricing... Identical option for option, my model was $3000 cheaper in the US. I spent the $3000 and didn't have to make the long trip to go get it... and now have dealer support, and an appreciative dealer who will want to see me in for servicing.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

The Canadian sales people claim that they can't even buy them for the price I claim. I have given many Canadian suppliers the opportunity to even come close and I've seen them as low as 10k diff. And everything is good to go I've checked with Canadian gov and this units will come across with out any issue. I was at a dealer on Utah that had 40 units a month coming across the border every month. They tell you exactly how to get it across the border with out any hassle.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Then your dealer is lazy. I'm a Canadian new car dealer... if 1 of my clients gives me the opportunity to bring something in from the US for them, I do it. My OEM manufacturer doesn't like it, but too bad for them. Local matters and I have many customers that realize it. It's just too bad that local doesn't matter to as many as it should matter to.

All that said, it's typically only on high end products that have a big difference, low to mid range products are usually within the cost of freight to one another... so if you buy in the US cheaper, it costs the same once it's shipped home
Old 05-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

Ridersfan I agree I'd buy Canadian in a heartbeat but when I see prices in high the 50s - 60s and the one I ordered stateside delivered to border for high 40s it's a no brainer. I'd rather keep the $$ in my jean pockets than someone else's. and no offend to you I'm a sales person as well.