Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Fresh water tanks problems - Sierra

My 21ft Sierra Toyhauler's water tanks do not fill and empty evenly. It has two 45 gal tanks that connect together with a small hose. I'm pretty sure of this because my brother has the exact trailer that does not have the "northwest package", so I can clearly see it on his. When I go to fill it up, I noticed it filled fairly quickly for being 90+ gallons. However when I pulled open the second tank's drain valve, a huge blast of air came out and no water! I listened with the valve still open and could hear water trickling in, but I must have waited 5-10 minutes before I saw any water coming out. Even then it was just a small dribble. So I wait overnight to try filling it again and was only able to put a small amount of water in. Keep in mind my trailer only has one fill spout for two tanks. So I go camping anyways and run out of water only after 3 days of normal use. My guage says it was empty. But when I get home I pull the second tank's drain valve and a bunch of water comes out! So for some reason water is not transfering over to the main tank. Since I really don't want to take out all the insullation from the bottom, I was hoping someone has a easy solution. If I had to guess at this point, I would say either the small connection tube is plugged or its a venting problem. Like I said, it seems to fill one tank just fine, it just not overflowing into the second tank like it should.

Thanks for your time.
orange69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You have to fill the tanks very slowly.
You cant just shove the hose in it and turn water on fill.
My tank I just let it trickle in and takes 20 minutes.
Water flow coming in overcomes air coming out.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You have to fill the tanks very slowly.
You cant just shove the hose in it and turn water on fill.
My tank I just let it trickle in and takes 20 minutes.
Water flow coming in overcomes air coming out.
More likely than not, that is a defective vent.

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Im guessing we all have um then
Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it is just a vent issue, but why isn't the two tanks balancing out? Is there an air pocket not letting the water flow evenly between both tanks? I would have thought the tanks would balance out after a couple days camping, any trapped air would have escaped by then.

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange69
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it is just a vent issue, but why isn't the two tanks balancing out? Is there an air pocket not letting the water flow evenly between both tanks? I would have thought the tanks would balance out after a couple days camping, any trapped air would have escaped by then.

Thanks again.
You would think it would.
Sounds to me like theres an obstruction between the two tanks.
Ron
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

I'd look at a partially blocked hose between the two tanks. 1. because the 2nd tank fills so slow, and 2, because you run out and the gage shows empyt yet you still have water in the 2nd tank. If you can get to both ends of the line at the tank, I'd try running a piece of water hose between the two tanks and see what happends then, in place of the existing tube.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I'd look at a partially blocked hose between the two tanks. 1. because the 2nd tank fills so slow, and 2, because you run out and the gage shows empyt yet you still have water in the 2nd tank. If you can get to both ends of the line at the tank, I'd try running a piece of water hose between the two tanks and see what happends then, in place of the existing tube.
That's what I was wondering too. I just don't wanna tear out the insulation to get to it. Any tips to removing it? I can see there's several bolts to remove the plastic cardboard looking stuff. Will this insulation fall on my face or is it secured?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

To me it sounds like you have issue with the vent on the second tank. Each tank will have to be vented separately or the second tank will never fill or empty properly.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra, water, problems