Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Fuel Station blowing Fuse

Looking for a little help.

Using my fuel station for the first time on my 3 year old 356QLB TH. I turned the master switch in the garage, turned on the pump switch at the control station outside. Heard the pump start and filled a 2 gallon can. Next can I tried the pumped didn't work. Found I blew the 7.5 amp fuse.

Replaced the fuse and it blew again.

Replaced again and this time I opened the nozzle before starting the pump switch. It worked fine.

I have found that this is the only method that will work. Open nozzle, switch on pump.

I feel that this seems to not be the way I would think this should work. I wonder if there maybe a pressure switch that should stop the pump once the hose is pressurized when the pump switch is turned on. Does that sound right?

Anyone out there with suggestions, I'm all ears. Let me know what you think.

In all my manuals I don't see anything about how the fuel station is supposed to work.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Can you post info on the pump itself? There should be a data plate on the pump itself.

Sounds like the pump isn't relieving internally and therefore deadheading and blowing the fuse.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

My dad had a 10 amp fuse installed in his pump and kept blowing fuses. When I looked at the specs for the pump it had a 13 amp draw. Replaced it with a 15 amp fuse and it's all good.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgabe View Post
My dad had a 10 amp fuse installed in his pump and kept blowing fuses. When I looked at the specs for the pump it had a 13 amp draw. Replaced it with a 15 amp fuse and it's all good.
Looks like I may have simular setup. Near as I can tell (by comparing it to photos at manufactures web site) it looks to have an 11 amp draw. I'll put a larger fuse and try it out. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

A larger fuse can work with that said check the wiring to ensure it is large enough for the extra amps. Starting with the nozzle closed would cause a higher starting amp draw.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

I have a 2012 356QLB. I also had issued with the pump, but it wasn't blowing fuses. It should be a GPI pump. I don't remember what the amp draw is but 7.5 sounds way too low. I need to run some stuff out to the camper anyhow and if I remember I will look at what fuse is in mine.

FYI, it is a very common issue for the impellers inside the pump to swell when they are soaked in the wonderful ethanol that is in our gas now. They sell rebuild kits that have a new type of plastic impeller that is supposed to not swell. I replaced my entire pump assembly a year ago and have not had any problems. Some people have had luck carefully sanding a bit off of the impellers. I would just get the rebuild kit, its cheap and the rebuild can be done without pulling the pump out. I would also add a 1/2" inline filter to the line from the tank to the pump. It is a metal tank and while the inside of mine still is clean, I would hate to pump some rust or trash into things like dirt bikes and generators.

I also have found that if I turn on the pump switch without the valve open, it will pressure up and then stop. Once it stops, even opening the valve doesn't usually re-start it. I have just learned to open the valve then hit the switch.
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Ok, I didn't have a chance to get out to the camper, but I have my owner's manual handy for the pump. Per the manual, current draw is 11 amps. Manual says to use a 20 amp slow-blow fuse. The wiring is 14 gauge, which shows to be good for 65 feet allowing for a 10% voltage drop.

Also the line from the tank may not be 1/2". It's been a while since I did mine, but that sounds too small. It's probably 3/4". Either way, it's easy to cut then measure to get the correct filter. I found mine at an auto parts store.
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Ok, I didn't have a chance to get out to the camper, but I have my owner's manual handy for the pump. Per the manual, current draw is 11 amps. Manual says to use a 20 amp slow-blow fuse. The wiring is 14 gauge, which shows to be good for 65 feet allowing for a 10% voltage drop.

Also the line from the tank may not be 1/2". It's been a while since I did mine, but that sounds too small. It's probably 3/4". Either way, it's easy to cut then measure to get the correct filter. I found mine at an auto parts store.
Thanks for all your help. I'll get new fuse installed and check into the filter setup. I appreciate all the help from you and the others!

Tags
fuse