Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Fuel Station - First Time use - XLR

I've got a 2016 XLR Nitro 23KW (bought in Summer 2017) and I'm planning on filling and using the Fuel Station.

Do any of you recommend any start up procedures? Maybe put a few gallons of fuel in and pump it out, to rinse the tank a little?

I'm using it to fuel my Street Glide, so I'll want to not pump a bunch of garbage into my bike.

For reference, I use Star Tron Fuel Additive, in my bike, generator and anything fuel might sit in. It does a great job, in case you go a few months without running something. I plan on using this in the tank.

Thoughts in startup and maintenance?

Thanks!
BikerMikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #2

I have zero experience with fuel stations. I thought they were for dirt bikes and ATV's. As easy as it is to pull up to a gas station there is no way I would fool around with one to fill my Electra.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I have zero experience with fuel stations.

Then maybe you shouldn't reply, since my post was for people WITH experience.

Have a great day!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMikeyB View Post
Then maybe you shouldn't reply, since my post was for people WITH experience.

Have a great day!
I think my point was mine sat empty for years and I never felt the need to pump gallons of flammable stinky fluid into my camper when I ride a road bike and can pull up to a pump.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I think my point was mine sat empty for years and I never felt the need to pump gallons of flammable stinky fluid into my camper when I ride a road bike and can pull up to a pump.

That was way more articulate then your first post. Should have said that!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #6

I bought my Toy Hauler last year, after it sat for 4 years without use. There was some fuel in the tank that had STABIL in it. When I looked at it, the owner fired up the generator and it ran well. He said that he had recently put a few gallons of fresh gas in it. (He did just recently rebuild the carburetor. I suspect from sitting without any use)
The fuel transfer pump impeller was locked up because the nylon had swollen a bit. I fixed that and replaced the emergency cut off switch. Pumped some gas into my mower to test it out. No problems.
Later, I put Sea Foam into the tank and filled it up. No problems.
Just a note though. Before pumping fuel into anything after the unit has sat for awhile, I pump several gallons through the hose back into the tank. Just to make sure that any fuel in the hose isn't bad.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrtrucker View Post
I bought my Toy Hauler last year, after it sat for 4 years without use. There was some fuel in the tank that had STABIL in it. When I looked at it, the owner fired up the generator and it ran well. He said that he had recently put a few gallons of fresh gas in it. (He did just recently rebuild the carburetor. I suspect from sitting without any use)
The fuel transfer pump impeller was locked up because the nylon had swollen a bit. I fixed that and replaced the emergency cut off switch. Pumped some gas into my mower to test it out. No problems.
Later, I put Sea Foam into the tank and filled it up. No problems.
Just a note though. Before pumping fuel into anything after the unit has sat for awhile, I pump several gallons through the hose back into the tank. Just to make sure that any fuel in the hose isn't bad.
Excellent points. Make sure the pump works. Its amazing how quickly these things go bad by the swelling of the nylon. I guess water from ethanol causes this. The first time I tried to use mine, it blew a fuse. Come to find out, a shorted wire. Entire pump had to be replaced.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

I use mine to fuel my bike without any problems. If it is sitting for some time, I will use Stabil in it. If I have not used it in awhile, I normally will pump fuel back into the fuel tank to circulate it. If one is really worried, put an additional filter on the fuel hose. Not that hard to do. Remember, the fuel in that tank is also used for the generator. I usually carry about 10 - 15 gallons in it.

I make sure to run my generator at least every month, so the fuel doesn't sit much.

I like the convenience of having that available fuel when I come back from a long ride and the local gas station is 10+ miles away, and I did not fuel up because of the route back.

If you are worried about crude in it, pump some into a glass jar and look.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

I have a TH with fuel station and I don't like using it. The fill pipe to fill the tank is too horizontal and when you are trying to put fuel in the tank it runs out and all down the side. Hopefully you will have better luck with yours.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMikeyB View Post
I've got a 2016 XLR Nitro 23KW (bought in Summer 2017) and I'm planning on filling and using the Fuel Station.

Do any of you recommend any start up procedures? Maybe put a few gallons of fuel in and pump it out, to rinse the tank a little?

I'm using it to fuel my Street Glide, so I'll want to not pump a bunch of garbage into my bike.

For reference, I use Star Tron Fuel Additive, in my bike, generator and anything fuel might sit in. It does a great job, in case you go a few months without running something. I plan on using this in the tank.

Thoughts in startup and maintenance?

Thanks!
We use ours to fuel our four wheelers as well as the generator. The dealer had put a few gallons in and ran the generator before purchase. We don't use it very often, a couple times a year, but have gone through a few tanks and never had an issue. I add Stabil 360 to it every time I put gas in.

2013 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5

2017 F350 Lariat DRW 6.7L Power Stroke
Gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

I use mine to fuel my harley and to run my generator. Have never done anything special but put gas in the tank. I do get my fuel from Cennex that is alcohol-free. Looks like moonshine. Never had an issue in the 3 years I've owned it.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

We always fill the tank with gas & stabilize , we had the trailer for 4 years now and have two street bikes.
It’s great filling the bikes up at the camp site and starting a ride.
Great idea about putting some in a glass container to see what’s going on.
They say to fill the tanks with treated gas for winter storage. The
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
I have a TH with fuel station and I don't like using it. The fill pipe to fill the tank is too horizontal and when you are trying to put fuel in the tank it runs out and all down the side. Hopefully you will have better luck with yours.
I have the same issue with the shallow angle of the fill pipe also. I just had to fill slower. It could have been designed much better, in my opinion.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobec View Post
I use mine to fuel my harley and to run my generator. Have never done anything special but put gas in the tank. I do get my fuel from Cennex that is alcohol-free. Looks like moonshine. Never had an issue in the 3 years I've owned it.
In TN, there are a LOT of little gas stations that have ethanol free fuel. I was planning on only using this.

Mine didn't come with a generator, I have a Honda EU3000 from my old TH. I need to install one, it's easier.

It will make it easier this year at Sturgis, to ride the next morning.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #15

We have a new to us 375amp and have the 2 tanks. 18 gallon for genset and 30 for fuel station. I am going to run out all the gas and fill with non-ethanol with sta bil in both tanks, then as I run generator at least monthly I will cycle gas to front tank. I will also try and fill my lawn equipment as well to keep it changing- my experience with gas equipment (including pump parts) is when used regularly less issues. Since I need the gas for the genny (and would like to have more than the 18 gallons) not filling at all is not an option so while I would have preferred an lp Onan we will make the best of what we have.

But to OP i would indeed put the first fill into something other than the bike and then as long as you use the fuel regularly I wouldn’t flinch a bit running it through whatever you need.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
But to OP i would indeed put the first fill into something other than the bike and then as long as you use the fuel regularly I wouldn’t flinch a bit running it through whatever you need.
Thanks. This is sound advice and I will do it.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #17

I have a 2019 Vengeance 25v I just got in June and I have the same problem. So Forest River never fixed it for you? I have a Factory Installed Generator and i can't put fuel in the Fuel Station
JJOHNSTON1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #18

Thanks all. I did run a few gallons of fuel, a quart at a time in a mason jar, until it ran clear.

It’s all good. I’ll use it to fuel my genny at Sturgis.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJOHNSTON1257 View Post
I have a 2019 Vengeance 25v I just got in June and I have the same problem. So Forest River never fixed it for you? I have a Factory Installed Generator and i can't put fuel in the Fuel Station
Had the same problem under warranty. Two inch blocks were used to lower tank and all was well.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #20

I have a fuel station and use it quite a bit. Wife likes to fill her sportbike. I also had the swelling impeller issue which I fixed. At the same time I added an inline fuel filter. Also replaced the switch at one point. Those of you with fill stations keep an eye on your fuel filler hose. Mine cracked after 5 years.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_142213.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	178345
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, fuel, xlr