Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

fuel station tank replacement

Has anyone replaced the cheap fueling station on their Forest River toy hauler?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

I have not replaced mine, just quit using it. The hose is so short we have to pump gas into a can then pour into our bikes. So i just fill a can at the station. I suppose its great for a serious off roader but otherwise just a waste of space

Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Ya I know what you mean I probably wont use mine to fill the dirt bikes either, however the generator is also fed from the same tank.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

I'm able to pull up next to the station and fill my tank with no issues while sitting on the bike.

The hose could be a bit longer but seams to work fine on my 300x12.

My issue is remembering to turn on the main switch inside the trailer.

I did notice that some of the hose slips through the hole and back under the trailer. I was able to pull a extra 12"-16" more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

I just purchased a 2016 28 tqdl xlr nitro and noticed this same problem, I intend to buy some hydraulic quick connect fittings and a longer hose, I intend to remove the nozzle and replace it with a fitting, then add the other fitting and nozzle to the new hose, thus giving me a longer hose and be able to disconnect it when not in use.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

I ended up abandoning my idea of attempting to remove my onboard fuel tank because some of the brackets holding the tank onto the frame were welded making the removal from the "bottom" almost imposable. It appears that the fuel and water tanks were installed from the top before the body of the trailer was completed. So what I ended up doing to fuel my onboard generator was to use a small 6 gallon boat portable plastic fuel tank ( EPA & CARB Certified Portable Boat Fuel Tanks By Attwood Marine) and adding the appropriate amount of fuel hose and it works great. One other benefit of using this tank is that I always have fresh fuel. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfor2 View Post
I ended up abandoning my idea of attempting to remove my onboard fuel tank because some of the brackets holding the tank onto the frame were welded making the removal from the "bottom" almost imposable. It appears that the fuel and water tanks were installed from the top before the body of the trailer was completed. So what I ended up doing to fuel my onboard generator was to use a small 6 gallon boat portable plastic fuel tank ( EPA & CARB Certified Portable Boat Fuel Tanks By Attwood Marine) and adding the appropriate amount of fuel hose and it works great. One other benefit of using this tank is that I always have fresh fuel. Good luck.

I was concerned about fresh fuel for my genny too. I have just been putting the leftover fuel in my wife's car when we get back home from trips. Obviously with the short hose this is a real pain. I like the boat fuel tank idea.
ifish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish24 View Post
I was concerned about fresh fuel for my genny too. I have just been putting the leftover fuel in my wife's car when we get back home from trips. Obviously with the short hose this is a real pain. I like the boat fuel tank idea.
The boat fuel tank works really well for me. When you need to refill it just take the tank to the gas station not the whole trailer lol also, my fuel is always fresh and ready to go. I usually add a bottle of Seafoam fuel additive to a fresh tank to keep the generator carburetor happy.

I have yet to run out of fuel while on a weekend trip
Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

We took the 18 gallon out to verify the draw straw was in fact near the bottom... when running jenni could get 3 to maybe 4 hours before running dry.
After removal discovered how tank was only about 8 inches deep but 4 foot long maybe 1 foot wide. Draw straw was ok. It appeared any tilt of trailer to curb side caused fuel to run away from pickup point on road side of camper.
We normally run jenni / air conditioner while traveling to keep animals cool .
It was a PIA to stop ever 3 hours when I carry 115 gallons for the truck.
Anyway after the discoveries, I switched the fuel line to the 30 gallon tank and added another fuel pump to.help augment the distance to jenni.

Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tank