Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Garage floor

I installed a wheel check in my puma qs 373 to haul my goldwing around with. With the check I thought I could just step down front forks and put 1 strap on rear wheel to keep it straight. Well after 350 miles I pull goldwing out and find the floor has gave way to the weight of rear wheel. I guess by not strapping it down it bounced and busted the floor. Time to install some diamond plate.

aspayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

If it's still under warranty, have the dealer check it out. The floor should not have given way like that.
If it's not under warranty, a patch of aluminum diamond plate would be a good investment. After fixing the sub structure.

otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

2 straps in the front and 2 straps in the rear. Compress the shocks slightly front and rear.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

No wheel chock is sized to handle a 900# bike without it being strapped down while towing. It might be fine when the trailer is stationary but not while moving. The chock serves two functions. First it holds the bike upright to allow you to tie it down. Second it takes the forward surge of the bike when you are stopping the trailer. I agree with "cavie"; two straps front and rear.

The floor should not have given way due to the ~400# rear tire sliding around. I would question the structural strength of the trailer. I would have expected it to twist out the bolts where the tire chock was mounted to the floor. I am surprised the bike didn't tip over.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

I had 2 straps to front forks at 45 degree angles and 1 strap on rear wheel
aspayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

I had used the same method on my 2 toy haulers, first was an XLR bumper pull, current one is a Spartan 5er. I pull 2 straps down on the front handle bars with soft straps, then one through the back wheel. My wifes Fatboy has solid wheels and required tying off of the swing arm on each side.
I have never had floor problems like that.
I also put a block of wood under the frame so when I pulled the straps down in the front the frame is sitting on the block of wood and I dont bottom out my suspension. It also makes it more stable and less likely to kick out to the side.
I now use Biker Bars. I agree maybe the dealer should look at the floor. I dont see that you did anything wrong.

-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor