Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #41

A swinging tail is signs of too much weight in the rear. Plenty of physics videos on you tube and weigh distribution
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #42
rrg

too heavy on rear. Either try moving bikes forward as u can or add more weight on front end,
rrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel1 View Post
Yes it was installed by a mechanic, me. No, I did not know that there was a certain way to redistibute it being that Blue Ox WDH says how to install it. I used all parts in box and put them all exactly where the instructions said to put them. Nothing about certainies. If the weight is behind the axles, which they obviously is and Forest River engineered this Toy Hauler knowing that the weight is behind the axle and without them telling me exactly what maximum weight capacity is allowable, then so how do I "redistribute" the WDH? Only one way for all WDH to be installed unless there is some magical way. Please someone explain in full or send me to a link with solving problems and not just giving me equations. Practicality works wonders. Thank you
Adjusting the tension on the bars is how you distribute the weight. Is your set up with or without the bikes? If without and you add the bikes you must change the bar tension. It ain't rocket science. If you haul the trailer without the bikes you need to readjust the tension again. Listen to the people you are asking help from. Apparently you do not understand how a WDH works.

Also you must install a Sway control system of some sort. WDH alone does not control sway. Note the sway control in the picture below.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Serie...iABEgJUKvD_BwE
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #44

Quote:
My brand new grey wolf 22r toy hauler with 2 450lb motorcycles in the storage back and tied down is a handfull while towing. doing over 60mph they trailer is all over the road and I have that tow hitch brace that is suppose to prevent it. Its the best Blue Ox makes. What did Forest River do wrong on their calculations? How much weight did they figure on behind the axles cause thats where the tiedowns are. help
Hi I have a Blue Ox sway Pro WDH. I have 1500 lbs torsion bars and set it at eight chain links. Give Blue Ox a call they may provide some advice. I just purchased a new TT and the dealer reinstalled the system, I had them watch the video and read the instructions before they started to install the WDH, they never installed a Blue Ox system. They wanted to give me a new WDH as part of the deal but I said no. The mechanic started to give me a hard time about the set up, and after some conversation he decided to follow the instructions. He was surprised how level the travel trailer was. I don't have a problem with sway at any speed. But I'm not towing a toy hauler.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #45

So in real engineering design,Forest River flawed big time. They did not engineer the axle back far enough. That is actually the bottom line, especially since both of mtrcyles weighs less than a golf cart. It shouldnt have to be that i put so much stuff to weigh the tongue down. When empty i can drive 70 if i wanted to with no swaying. My Blue Ox WDH IS THE BEST MADE. I WISH people would stop trying to my equipment. And my 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn is more than enough truck for hauling that camper. All of the numbers work!
manofsteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #46

So if you do not want help don't complain. Your bikes may weigh the same as as golf cart but have you weighed your set up??. You just jump to blame the engineers at Forest River.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
So if you do not want help don't complain. Your bikes may weigh the same as as golf cart but have you weighed your set up??. You just jump to blame the engineers at Forest River.

Wait, do something to try and help his own problem? AGHAST!

If it's a design problem, I don't know why the OP hasn't called Forest River and explained this to them. Or gotten a lawyer to get his money back. Or filed a NHTSA complaint.

And because of all of this, I'm out.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #48
Get me outta here!

Quote:
So in real engineering design,Forest River flawed big time. They did not engineer the axle back far enough. That is actually the bottom line, especially since both of mtrcyles weighs less than a golf cart. It shouldnt have to be that i put so much stuff to weigh the tongue down. When empty i can drive 70 if i wanted to with no swaying. My Blue Ox WDH IS THE BEST MADE. I WISH people would stop trying to my equipment. And my 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn is more than enough truck for hauling that camper. All of the numbers work!
Brother, I have the same hitch and I agree it is great. However, when I first started using the Blue Ox system, it took me some time to get it dialed in. What some of the other guys have mentioned is true; you can adjust the amount of tension you put on the lift bars by increasing/decreasing the chain length thus changing the amount of weight that is being redistributed to your Dodge. Now after saying that, I think you mentioned you have three links visible after turning the cam as the instructions recommended; that is really a recommendation and you can adjust it as per your needs -- I have five links exposed on my rig and that is ideal for my setup. But adjusting up to three links means they are very tight and must look like a bow, so like someone else mentioned perhaps you need a different (heavier) set of lift bars for your hitch. The goal is to get a straight and level line from the front bumper of your truck to the rear bumper of your trailer. If you have anything else but that, you are going to have issues in one way or the other. I hope this helps and doesn't frustrate you even more.

Born to be in wide open spaces!

2018 25' Keystone Bullet
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE (6.6L)
TheRoosterCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #49

Possible quick and easy test is to fill up your fresh water tank (assuming it's ahead of the axles) and do a quick road test. Fishtailing reduced? Then it's time to recalculate the hitch.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief55 View Post
Hi I have a Blue Ox sway Pro WDH. I have 1500 lbs torsion bars and set it at eight chain links. Give Blue Ox a call they may provide some advice. I just purchased a new TT and the dealer reinstalled the system, I had them watch the video and read the instructions before they started to install the WDH, they never installed a Blue Ox system. They wanted to give me a new WDH as part of the deal but I said no. The mechanic started to give me a hard time about the set up, and after some conversation he decided to follow the instructions. He was surprised how level the travel trailer was. I don't have a problem with sway at any speed. But I'm not towing a toy hauler.
I'm not knocking your system, I have a Blue Ox Sway pro with 1500 lb torsion bars. I was just suggesting that you call Blue Ox, when I purchased a smaller and lighter trailer I called Blue Ox for advice. I experimented with the chains to find the best ride. How many dots do you have on your bars. I really like this system, I've had for seven years.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #51

I have a 2018 22RR also and a Harley full dresser in it. Towing with a 2016 F150. I'm using the Equilizer hitch set up. I Have no issues and cruise around 70 MPH. Trailer dosen't even move when getting near a trailer truck either. As everyone else has said, your WDH is set up wrong.
smithmx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #52

Quote:
*cut*.....my 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn is more than enough truck for hauling that camper. All of the numbers work!
Hello, thought I would pop in here since I have a similar truck, 2017 Ram 1500.
I also own a travel trailer in the 30'-35' range that is rear heavy, we have a rear slide and a large outdoor kitchen.

You definitely need to go to a scale, you would be quite surprised when you're loaded what your weights will be.
I went off "brochure" weights when I purchased my setup. Loaded, we are over weight on our payload by 200 pounds.
I removed front weight and shifted it back to improve my payload, but it made the trailer really unstable, and sway was a real issue.
We've sinced parked it in a seasonal spot as we can't afford to replace the truck right now.

If you have available payload I would load as much as you could up front, tools, water, mature beverages, whatever you can to increase your tongue weight.

I purchased a tongue weight scale to play with my setup, not a necessary item, but definitely useful in diagnosing what's going on.

As others have urged, you need to invest some time into looking at your weights, and possibly adjusting your weight distribution hitch
For the most part we've all gone through it, it's a necessary part of this process to make sure things work well, and tow correctly.

Best of luck!
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #53
REL

Weigh it fully loaded first. First just the TV ( full of fuel and passengers...Then with your fully loaded trailer without WD bars. Lastly with WD bars attached..then compare results to your axle ratings and payload of your TV and trailer...
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #54

You must have 10%-15% of the weight of the trailer on your tongue to prevent sway. Looking at the specs for that trailer it says it has a dry weight (completely unloaded) tongue of 600 pounds. The trailer is 4871 pounds dry. 600 pound tongue weight is perfect, for the dry unloaded trailer.

You just put 900 pounds behind the axles. Through teeter totter physics, you just lifted several hundred pounds off the tongue which is not good. You will get sway. Weighing the trailer would get you a good understanding of what is going on.

I don't know where your fresh water tank is located but it shows up as 46 gallons. If it is in front of the axles, always towing with it full would be a good start. When loading the trailer, put everything in the bedroom. Basically, you need to get 900 pounds in front of the axles since you have 900 behind them. Again, that is the basic idea since the trailer is balanced correctly dry. You need to weigh it to get the exact numbers.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #55

You have lots of good suggestions here, and the scales are important.
You can probably do some less scientific things though…
How deep is the garage, and how long are the bikes?
Are you loading them side by side in the rear? If so, can you load them backwards to get more weight closer to the axles instead of behind?
Even better, can you load one in forward pulled all the way into the kitchen area, and the other backed in behind it?
The axles are acting as a lever, and will work much better if you can get the load closer to them.

It’s not rocket science. You have one or a combination of these problems.
The tongue is too light, your hitch is not adjusted properly, there is too much weight behind the axles, and/or it’s too much trailer for the truck.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #56

I too have this exact trailer, 2017 22rr. I carry a Can am ds 250 four wheeler and a Ktm 250f dirt bike in mine. We are always out in the middle of nowhere so I am also full of fresh water when I leave the house. I have pulled this trailer with a tundra crewmax and silverado 1500 and never had the sway issue your having except in high winds. I have the equalizer 4 point with sway control hitch. I also load the 4 wheeler as far forward as it will go, the bike sideways behind that and then my generator and cooler go right in front of the back door. If the first bike you are loading is next to the cabinets, it is sitting almost right on top of the axles. The bedroom, bath and kitchen are all in front and on top of the axles so the only thing behind them is the 2 fold down benches and empty floor. It has to be the way the trailer is loaded or the hitch needs to be adjusted.
dbhart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #57

Post #28:

Quote:
2019 Dodge Ram 1500
Post #45:

Quote:
You might want to first work out what truck you really have and then give us the specifics on it. You say “The numbers work”, but somewhere along the line, obviously, your math is flawed — show us “The numbers” and maybe, just maybe, somebody will find your errors. Then you might want to take the advice you have been given by all of these people who have taken their time trying to help you with YOUR problem. This is not a Forest River problem. This is not a weight distribution problem. At this point, the only problem is your refusal to provide more information and take the advice you have been given and use it.

You are frustrated that you can’t work this out yourself and you are trying to find a way to blame your lack of knowledge and experience on Forest River or somebody...somebody other than yourself.

I just can’t understand why you won’t listen to all of these people who really do know what they are talking about. Why are you trying — and you really are trying — to make this so hard on us...and yourself?

Bruce
Old 08-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #58

maybe he could stagger the bikes , one towards the front more.
JumpinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #59

I Have a 2019 22RR. I tow it with a 2008 Chevy 2500HD, 4wd. The water tank is behind the axle. I haul a Polaris 570 ATV that is 850 pounds. With the water tank full and the atv along with a generator in the back, I have no sway problems. I also do not use a WDH.

I would place one bike further forward between the pantry and stove area and see what that gets you. The table in this camper is a true pain in the a** when wanting to haul the toys. some say to lay it on the bed, which is not to easy due to the size.
Jamesgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #60

Cool BAD Engineering by Forest River!!!!!!

Pull the camper with 2018 ram 1500 with hemi. Also have the blue ox distribution hitch. Having said that i finally found out that I can not have two 450 motorcycles side by side and not have trailer all over the road. Numbers adding up....who know and don't care. There definitely was a flaw by Forest River when they engineered this 22r camper. Even with a golf cart that could not go forward of the wheel would not cause the camper to go all over the highway. You ask How a I know. Well I did it with a golf cart also and the same thing happened. Number....schnumbers! Now when I travel with 2 motorcycles its one forward and one back. Stupid way of having to travel due to Faulty Forest River engineering of where to put the rear axle and there is no way of moving it back couple of inches. BAD FOREST RIVER
manofsteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf