Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Grey wolf 22r all over road

My brand new grey wolf 22r toy hauler with 2 450lb motorcycles in the storage back and tied down is a handfull while towing. doing over 60mph they trailer is all over the road and I have that tow hitch brace that is suppose to prevent it. Its the best Blue Ox makes. What did Forest River do wrong on their calculations? How much weight did they figure on behind the axles cause thats where the tiedowns are. help
manofsteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Sounds like most of your weight is on the rear and you might try getting more weight towards the tongue. Have you towed without the bikes ? How was it then ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
RV There Yet?

I have the smaller version of this (17RP) and filling my water tank (behind the rear axle) causes this issue as well. it sounds like you will probably have to take some time and start weighing your tongue weight. i have a sneaking suspicion that you are removing quite a bit of weight from the tongue. the article below really helped me figure out what was going on with all the sway i was getting. turns out i was removing close to 100lbs of tongue weight from filling my fresh tank.

if you can weigh your rig loaded up with supplies (minus bikes) and then again with bikes, that will give you a good idea what is going on.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Always Learning

First things first, you need to weigh the rig and figure out your overall weight, tongue weight, and tongue weight percentage.

Here's how to do it:
https://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-travel-trailer/

Once you have the weigh slips, here is a calculator for "crunching the numbers" from the resulting slips:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Once you know that, you can start looking to see if it's the rig or the truck or what.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.

If you are at the correct allowable weight in your "garage" area, in my opinion your hitch is set up wrong. You max load is usually posted in the garage area.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Now how can I possibly load my tongue wrong. It is what it is
So the answer I want what is the allowable weight allowed behind the axles. Suppose it was a golf cart.... it could NOT go any further forward than the cabinets which is the axle.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel1 View Post
Now how can I possibly load my tongue wrong.
I'm not saying that you're doing it wrong, I'm just saying that you're pissing in the dark without having hard data to work with.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Now how can I possibly load my tongue wrong. It is what it is
So the answer I want what is the allowable weight allowed behind the axles. Suppose it was a golf cart.... it could NOT go any further forward than the cabinets which is the axle.
If your WDH was set up with the bikes and you used the same settings then your WDH transferred weight to the trailer and you also added the bikes. The WDH needs to be readjusted for the redistributed weight.
This reply shows you should really read up on the information others have posted. Plenty of help on the forum to explain stuff.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #9

22r

Not sure of WDH is. How would I possibly redistribute it? What is the allowable weight designed by Forest River which no one is capable to give me. What does a golf cart weigh? That probably what they first designed it for. My 2 bikes are only 450lb each.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure of WDH is. How would I possibly redistribute it? What is the allowable weight designed by Forest River which no one is capable to give me. What does a golf cart weigh? That probably what they first designed it for. My 2 bikes are only 450lb each.
A WDH is a weight distribution hitch. You probably just had the dealer install it, without verifying the setup.
You really need to provide more info of your combo.
What tow vehicle and its specs and make and model of WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
What is the allowable weight designed by Forest River which no one is capable to give me.
You need to contact Forest River if you want that kind of information. This site isn't affiliated with Forest River. It's just a bunch of owners who help each other out- kind like sitting around a virtual campfire.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A WDH is a weight distribution hitch. You probably just had the dealer install it, without verifying the setup.
You really need to provide more info of your combo.
What tow vehicle and its specs and make and model of WDH.
This.

Changes in load likely will require adjustments to the hitch.

DON’T count on the dealer setting it up properly. I had to go through mine front to back to get it right. There is a lot to doing it right and a CAT scale is required.

Bob

This was my first WDH and it was an eye opener for me.
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #13

You cant help the helpless! He doesnt want help he wants to place blame. I was going to explain it but afyer reading his replies i was like nope nope!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #14

Yes it was installed by a mechanic, me. No, I did not know that there was a certain way to redistibute it being that Blue Ox WDH says how to install it. I used all parts in box and put them all exactly where the instructions said to put them. Nothing about certainies. If the weight is behind the axles, which they obviously is and Forest River engineered this Toy Hauler knowing that the weight is behind the axle and without them telling me exactly what maximum weight capacity is allowable, then so how do I "redistribute" the WDH? Only one way for all WDH to be installed unless there is some magical way. Please someone explain in full or send me to a link with solving problems and not just giving me equations. Practicality works wonders. Thank you
Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #15

Too much weight in the rear of the trailer will cause it to fishtail. You need to find a way to get more weight in the front, near the hitch. Hopefully there's enough storage up there. WDH is mainly for the tow vehicle. I'm sure that the weight of heavy toys is calculated into the design of most toy haulers, as you said earlier. A friend of mine had the same problem and luckily had enough storage in the front to put most of his heavy supplies. Good luck
Old 07-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
Always Learning

You need to weigh the rig.

You then need to adjust the WDH (change # of links on the chain, change the amount of drop to the hitch, etc).

Until you’re willing to do those 2, no one can help you. This isn’t a FR problem, this is a you problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #17

As others have been saying, if you connected the same number of chain links on your blue ox whether the bikes are in the trailer or not, that is the problem. With the bikes in, you need to use different chain links and that depends on your set up.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #18

I think the OP has a bumper pull.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #19

What are you towing with?

You seem to be at reasonable trailer weight etc. Payload issues?

A small vehicle can be an issue. The tail wagging the dog.

That trailer could have a pretty good hitch weight.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I think the OP has a bumper pull.
Bumper pull toyhauler TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf