Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigger62 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to all this and a new member. Question regarding propane tanks. I have a Toy Hauler and need to travel a couple of hours to a boondock. I ought (3) 100 lb propane cylinders and a rack to run my portable generator. I bought the big cylinders so as to avoid having to go into town to refill. If I can haul the tank inside the Toy Hauler, I will unload them to the outside as soon as I reach camp. Is it ok for me to haul these cylinders for a couple of hours inside the Toy Hauler for about 120 miles? I wanted to put them on the tongue up next to the front wall and remove the (2) 30 lb cylinders but my dealer says he advises against that as the net weight added would be about 350 lbs.

I appreciate any advice you folks can give me. Thanks.
That is a whole lot of propane. You ought to be checking laws. We carry a hot air balloon and as much as 45 gallons of propane and some carry 60. If I am correctly informed, some states and parts of Canada limit you to 60 gals. Fire safety and explosion issues I suspect. I believe the tanks must be DOT or FAA certified to even be transported. Just saying, you might look at the law.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
Old Enough to Know Better

Build or buy a headache rack and carry them upright and strapped securely in the back of the truck. Do not exceed 1000# total weight of tanks and gas or you will need to be placarded and have a haz mat CDL. It is extremely unsafe to carry them inside.
Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
It will be fine to haul these large tanks in your unit. make them none movable (strap to walls?) Open up the air vents flaps to get air movement.
Since propane is heavier than air, your ceiling vents are of little value if you're transporting propane inside. The only vents that may be of help are the floor level event that are present in many toy haulers. Always safest stored upright. No way I'm going to store 25 gallon tanks indoors
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, toy hauler