Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Hauling a Jeep in a Toy Hauler

Hello everyone,
I'm looking at upgrading from my current camping status which is a camper where I pull my Jeep behind with a trailer, what I would like to have is a toy hauler that would handle hauling the jeep which in turn gives us more living space than our current camper I have been looking at both the keystone and the forest river. The forest river seems to have enough cargo capacity which the ketstone I'm pushing the limit if not over. But what I would like to know is if anyone is hauling a jeep if they can give me their input along with anyone else.
thanks,
Rod

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I don't really know but I don't think toy haulers can hold the weight of a jeep. They are made for motorcycles and ATVs, but not full up cars. Perhaps a smart car or a mini? But I suspect that even that is maybe too much.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The main concerns, Ramp Door weight. and once you drive it in, you won't be able to open any door to get out. There are post on here where people have bent their ramp door with an 1100 pound motorcycle. Now a 3000 pound Jeep? Also take careful measurements on the with of your Jeep. If you have wide tires, you may be too wide to go in.

One last thing, BEFORE you buy anything, don't take the salesman's word. Make him give you te number to the factory, and get the specs from them.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Well... Not sure of the weight or length of your Jeep but a quick look at the available FR floor plans suggests you could do what you are suggesting - assuming that the ramp capacity is equal to the cargo carrying capacity. However, my assumption is that you would most likely end up with a very long and heavy trailer (38'-41') which would probably require something like a F-450 SD to carry the tongue or pin weight. You would probably need a diesel so you could fuel at truck stops, using the truck lanes. Additionally, there is the issue of finding campgrounds with pull-through sites that are large enough to handle the trailer, a large truck and the Jeep. Did I mention maneuverability, rear end swing, etc? Of course it might work out just fine if you have the space to store it and plan on using it in venues where lot size/availability/access will not be a problem. You did not indicate you level of towing expertise and, for all I know, you have spent years driving a tractor trailer and are well able to handle what you are proposing to do. I wish you the best of luck and would certainly like to see pictures of your rig if you ever put it together. Keep posting and welcome to the forum.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #5

The XLR by FR says their garage capacity and ramp door holds 3,000 lbs. That's the highest I've seen out there.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #6

not enough capacity to carry a jeep
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailertrash78 View Post
The XLR by FR says their garage capacity and ramp door holds 3,000 lbs. That's the highest I've seen out there.
Look a bit further at the Work and Play SB model fifth wheels. The largest has a cargo box that is 27'8" with a cargo capacity of 7000 lbs. True, getting a door open might be a bit of a problem, but you could always crawl in and out the back of the jeep. Width between the wheel wells might be a concern with some jeep setups and ramp capacity needs to be checked.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info and contacted forest river and they said the Work and Play would do the job as far as handling the weight, and so far that is the only model where the factory has said yes it would work, short of having a custom one built.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

I have the Forest River Work and Play WPT30WR Toy Hauler which has a 5000lb carrying capacity but I do not believe that it is all in the garage area. Mine has the 11.5 ft garage which I do not think that a jeep would fit in it. I would be afraid that the ramp door would no be able to handle it. Like the previous poster stated maybe a smart car would fit but you would not be able to open the doors. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #10

Know some people who transport jeeps this way but they are built on freightliner or peterbuilt chassis and more like a commercial solution than a consumer-type RV. One is a large RV freightliner towing a matching enclosed trailer that holds 2 jeeps plus extra tires and repair parts. This is for extended 4x4 trips.