Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

heating question - Wildwood

ok - I will be first to admit it. Its me!! I need help!! We have a 2006 Wildwood and yesterday afternoon the heater stopped heating. I can do the reset of turning it off, waiting, turn on and slide it up to temp and it will kick on.
It will run cold for about 3 min. then shut off. Everything is under the kitchen counter with the only thing outside being the valve openings.
Everything i read talks about the "lighting" of the furnace. Hubby is saying it has an electric heating element that it uses when plugged in. We are docked at my parents property. We had heat yesterday but colder today and very windy last night and no heat. I had to plug in a portable heater to warm things up today.
Can someone - or several - explain the heater to me. Again we are plugged in so not using propane.
Thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewdarnhot View Post
ok - Again we are plugged in so not using propane.
Thanks
The furnace needs propane to work, even when plugged into shore power. It is a gas furnace. Make sure the gas valves on the propane tanks are open.

You are most likely out of gas, and need to switch tanks if you have two (or get a refill on one or both).

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Assume you are talking about the build-in furnace.

If your are, the furnace requires propane and 12v electricity. When the thermostat is turned to heat, the furnace goes through a sequence of making sure there is not gas build up and combustion air is moving through the furnace. Then the gas valve opens allowing gas to enter. At the same time, an electrical ignitor will spark lighting the gas. All these things must happen in sequence

If the above does not work, check the furnace intake and outlet ports on the outside of the trailer to be sure they are not clogged or infested with bugs. The ports must be clean.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Hubby is saying it has an electric heating element that it uses when plugged in.
You may be confusing the hot water heater with the furnace. The water heater can run off of propane...or electricity (it does have an electric heating element).

The furnace just runs on gas.

Your furnace can also have what is called a DSI (direct spark ignitor). A DSI lights your gas when the furnace turns on....thus eliminating the need for a constant pilot light. A lot of newer ovens have this feature too. Our 12 year old household oven does.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
jdadoug

Heating Problem

Sounds like you need to go out and turn on both LP tanks, turning the valves counter clock wise. (are they full?)
Then go in and light the kitchen stove (to verify you have LP)
If the stove lights, raise the thermostat and it should light. (again, if you have LP) jdadoug
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

OHHH!!
Ok - I know that we do not have the propane connected. Could it have had enough in the line to run it for a night or two and a few min in the morning??
really not that long being we are in AZ.
I was told that the hot water was only off propane.?.? We have tried the hot water switch and have not been able to get the hot water to work and only have less than about 1/3 gas in the tank. We have 2 tanks but other is empty.
Neither were hooked up though.

We are real new at the rv-ing as we normally just have the pop up for camping but we are now living in the travel trailer. My dad just got it 2 months ago and we are learning as we go. Ok - Off to check the tanks again and see if I connect if I get something.
We are using strictly the micro and toaster oven for cooking so haven't tried the stove either. Hubby out of job for a few months so we are waiting to get $ for the tanks.
Thanks for the help!!

*** Edit - I just checked both tanks are empty. They were connected so we must have been using the last 1/3 that was in it.
Still wondering about the water heater now though. We were thinking we would need to get a stinger or heating element for it. Does the Wildwoods already have it??? Off to search posts!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OHHH!!
Still wondering about the water heater now though. We were thinking we would need to get a stinger or heating element for it. Does the Wildwoods already have it??? Off to search posts!
If the WH is both gas and electric, they'll be a breaker in the 120V AC panel for it. The gas/electric also has a small on/off switch in the outside panel, bottom left mostly hidden.

If it's gas/electric but no hot water on electric, the element is probably burnt out. That's what happens when the electric element is powered when the WH is empty.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm sending you some detailed private messages.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #9

Yay! Thanks to your help I was able to get the heater working last night for the kids!
The only issue now is the water heater. I tried to light the pilot light, and it won't light.
We were able to light the stove so that is good. Maybe I'll boil some water for a bath tomorrow.
Off to read and learn more about our new temporary home
sewdarnhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #10

I'd be surprised if you have to "manually" light your water heater, but you may have tripped the Overtemp protection device. Sometimes they will trip for no apparent reason like a voltage spikes on the power line.) if so, there should be a reset but in the outer water heater compartment above the burner tube. Check the manual or the website for your partcular model. Good luck!

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood, heating