Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Hello All, looking for some help.

Hello, and my wife and I are new to this forum. We are planning to buy a Grey Wolf Toy Hauler, bumper pull, that would fit a 4 seater Rzr, and we are looking for recommendations on models from people that actually own them. We have heard good / bad things about the build quality of the Forest River Toy Haulers, and never having owned one, we would really appreciate hearing from anyone that has one (that would fit a 4 seater rzr, 12'4" by 5'4") and what they see as the pros / cons of the model they own.

So, we appreciate anyone that would take a few minutes and tell us the good, the bad, and the ugly of their model and what we should take a look at. Thank you all in advance, as I said, we are new and could use a little guidance.
31NDONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #2

You don't say what your towing with but that would fit in mine easily.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...pack15-tr36048

I just bought mine in the fall and only got one trip in it before I had to winterize but we love it so far. Ton of space once you back the toy out (Ours is a golf cart) in the main living area. Sleeps up to 6 between the two happi-jack queen beds and the master queen (2 each), plenty of counter space, storage is pretty decent, decent sized bathroom and walk around bed in the master.

Looking forward to getting a lot of trips in it this year and using it a bunch, maybe even full timing it in when I retire in a handful of years.

One other thing I love about Toy Haulers in general and specifically ours is the versatility they allow. If I want to haul the big grill from home for a huge group, I can. If I want to bring a dog crate (which my dog finds comforting when alone), I can. If I'm packing the super huge cooler that we lovingly call the mini morgue for a 20 person cookout at the race track campgrounds, I can. Bikes for the wife, daughter and I along with our kayaks instead of the golf cart, yep, that works.

There, I've explained why we went with a toyhauler. Now the reason I picked this one is because of all the stuff it doesn't have.

No neck straining weird mounting spot for the TV.
No Slide out on the campsite (Passenger side) eating up half the awning space that we use when it's drizzling or hot and need shade.
No bumping and grinding with others as you try to pass them in a narrow passage, usually near the kitchen counter space.
No uncomfortable bunk beds for your guests you invited to come with you without remembering how bad those 2" mattresses that are shoved into "Bunk Caves" really are.

I'm sure others will come along and share their campers too and there are plenty that fit people wanting different things but I'm very pleased with mine and I should be as I looked hard for one that eliminated all my irritations with my previous campers.

Best of luck finding the perfect one for you.

Here's a video review of mine if it does fit your needs. I actually got the fiberglass siding, a residential fridge and inverter, electric stabilizer jacks, heated holding tanks as options.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #3

Just make sure that the height of the garage area is enough to clear.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

We have the toyhauler in my signature and are very happy as we just nailed buying a trailer that fits our needs. We are active and take two motorcycles, two bicycles, two kayaks, grill, chairs, table, generator and can add the atv +all the gear needed to use them. (long bed truck helps)

We wanted bunks...not for kids or visitors but for storage (visitors can use the queen bed from above the garage area). We have all our motorcycle/kayak gear/fishing gear on one bunk and use labeled totes on the other for dry storage that doesn't need to be refrigerated. -I have no idea where we would put all our stuff to keep it out of the way without bunks. Another bonus is under the bottom bunk there is room for motorcycle boots/hiking boots/water shoes and regular sneakers without being on the floor in the way of foot traffic. (I don't like things to be in the way)

We also really enjoy the patio deck that uses the ramp...what a great way to finish off the day eating dinner and then some adult beverages.

Couple of possible down points...toyhaulers tend to be tongue heavy to ensure folks don't get to light up front when loading. Mine is no exception. I measure the tongue at every pull and have had from 950 to 1500lbs. -this can make the trailer problematic for matching a tow vehicle and adjusting a wdh every load...it is best to have a HD truck.

As far as build quality...we had a couple minor things. I let the dealer take care of one (took about 1hour) and have had no issues since.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

[QUOTE=CincyGus;2050781]You don't say what your towing with

Smart move on his part. Keeps the weight police away.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Can't help with your question but Welcome from SoCal!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

Thank you all for responding to my question. Yes, I was a dummy for not listing my tow vehicle... we ran off to an R.V. show in Scottsdale, Az. , we are back now, and No, I didn't buy anything yet.
My tow vehicle is a Ram,H.D. 3/4 ton with a class 5 hitch and tow package, Gas, 6.4 Hemi, rated to tow 12,440, with a 3.71 tranny. So, any suggestions on the toy-hauler options would be appreciated... and comments about the durability of the units also. Thank again.
31NDONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

With a 3/4 ton, generally your going to be good to go. Check your payload on the sticker on your door to identify how much room your going to have for tongue weight after subtracting you and your passengers and anything you haul in the bed of the truck or cab.

That will tell you how much tongue weight your going to be able to handle. Empty Toy Haulers are notoriously heavy in the tongue weight because they are designed to put something heavy behind the trailer axles which lightens the tongue weight (Think Teter-Totter).

With a razor, I'm guessing around 1500 lbs so being over tongue weight is unlikely to be a problem. Getting enough might be the issue which can be overcome if the fresh water tank is in the front half of the camper. Kinda use it as ballast to find the perfect balance/weight/comfortable towing spot.

I don't think Forest Rivers TH Quality is any better or worse than other RV manufactures in their price range. You get what you pay for basically. Small stuff is all I have found on my camper, much of it very simple to correct which made it even more aggravating because it was simply a lack of attention to detail causing most of it, not something structurally or designed badly.

As far as durability, Here is my take. 90% of the people that I know that have had a problem with their camper lasting a couple decades had issues with water damage. Some of this is because a lack of the inspections that they as owners were supposed to do or pay to have done. I've had 3 campers now. The first one was well on it's way to slowly rotting from a water leak when I bought it and I was too late to save it by the time I learned what I was looking for. Thank goodness it was an inexpensive, used popup. I got 3 years out of it.

I bought a new smaller TT and took great care of it and after 7 years, it looked better than the day I bought it considering all the upgrades I did inside it when I traded it in. That was a 13.5k TT so not a high $$$ one.

The new one in my signature, I bought this past fall and as soon as the weather breaks, I will be putting eternabond tape around the 4 edges of the roof along with all roof mounted accessories (AC, Antenna, Vents, Skylights) as I truly believe if you can keep a camper dry (Leakproof), put good tires on them and check the tire pressure before every trip, do the maint as you are supposed to (Pack Bearings, Lubrication, Treat the seals on slideouts, Keep your batteries in good shape), they'll last two decades. That's regardless of if you spend 18k or 250k.

So are RV's built as sturdy as a home? No. Are they built with a ton of attention to detail on everything? Nope. Can almost everything I have found wrong on my 2 new campers be fixed by someone with a tool box and some basic handyman skills and some basic knowledge (or a Youtube account)? Yes. I've never taken either of my campers for warranty service or otherwise, Never had a installed appliance fail, never had anything go wrong that either I caused or could fix more easily than hooking it up and dragging the camper 5 miles to the local RV Dealer.

Hope my ramblings and opinions help. Feel free to reach out in PM if there is something else I can help with.

Good hunting.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Do It Yourselfer

As mentioned above, check your Rzr heighth and the door opening, plus any upper cabinets. My Cub Cadet 'Challenger' has to angled in to avoid the side-in sofa. Angling then caused the roof to graze the cabinets on the right side.
Tongue weight is around 1200 pounds without the UTV. Loaded tongue weight only drops a couple hundred pounds.
We have the exact same Ram as you, pulls fine handled the weight great thru the Rockies.
My Cherokee 294rr is 35 feet long with drivers side Slide.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote