Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Help me choose weight distribution hitch please

We finally purchased our toy hauler. It is the Flagstaff T12SDTH hard side A-frame pop up with the toy deck up front. I'm posting here because most A-frames aren't toy haulers so the owners don't use a WDH.

We are picking up the trailer next Saturday in Walcott, Iowa which is about a six hour drive. There is no way I can take my ATV with me to get an accurate tongue weight. We will be bringing it home dry.

I would like to get the WDH from the dealer because he will give me a Reese WDH with dual sway control for $400 which seems like a good deal. I'm concerned about an underrated or overrated WDH and want to be well informed so that doesn't happen. I'll be stuck with the WDH since the dealer is so far away.

The trailer dry tongue weight is 335 lbs. The toy deck is well forward of the single axle, just behind the propane tanks. My ATV weights about 850 lbs. Tow vehicle is a 2011 Jeep Cherokee Overland with the factory class IV hitch and air leveling suspension (I have the Hemi V8 but the gross trailer weight is not my issue; just the tongue weight). Cherokees max tongue weight is 720 lbs. Trailer is 22'1" long. Trailer dry weight is 2,294 lbs (without options) and GVWR of trailer is 3,385 lbs.

The trailer has a storage compartment behind the rear axle. I figure maybe 200 lbs in there max which should eliminate some tongue weight.

Do you think I will be safe with one of the Reese WDH that has a tongue weight range of 600-1200 lbs or should I skip the WDH from the dealer and buy it from Etrailer after I know my actual loaded tongue weight?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

I would go with a 1200/12000 Equalizer. I have one for my toy hauler, its not like yours I have the rear garage rather than front deck. But my tongue weight is about the same. I pull with a half ton, the sway control works great. It's more expensive hitch but well worth it.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. My dealer has the equalizers as well. Equalizer seems to only give a maximum tongue weight, not a range.

The salesman tells me that the Reese will be easier to adjust for different tongue weights. He says I would add or subtract chain links.

Sometime I will haul the 850lb ATV, sometimes a 400lb dirt bike and other times no toy and a couple hundred lbs of cargo on the deck. I plan to buy the tongue scale from Etrailer so I know my exact tongue weight before heading out. I would like one WDH to cover all these scenarios if possible and easy adjustment. I'm pretty anal about safe towing.

Can an equalizer cover all these scenarios and is it easy to adjust like my dealer says the Reese is?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Not pullin' a TH, but love my Reese dual-cam set-up.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

The chain style is probably easier because no tools are required. But If you have different tongue weights it's easy enough to get a 3/4 wrench and move the L brackets up or down. It is very easy to adjust that way. Just depends on if you want to do that. Seems a lot love the chain style hitches but more love the Equalizer. I am sure you will be fine either way. I have towed with both and I will always have the Equalizer.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #6

You might need this site for hitches. Got one from them. Nice customer service:
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts
Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Here is the part I don't understand " Cherokees max tongue weight is 720 lbs. " Now with the tongue weight listed on the trailer which is wrong on the light side, You have 1200 pounds of tongue weight, on a hitch rated at 720 lbs. You also mentioned the Jeep has a Class IV hitch, those are 12,000 pound trailer, 1200 pound tongue weight. Not sure about the numbers. As for loading the rear compartment with 200 pounds of stuff, might get 75 pounds off the tongue, so don't even look at that, as battery and propane will weigh more than that.

Now with that said, Get the Reese Dual Cam with 1200 pound bars. You are going to need them. It can be adjusted lightly for the tow home, and readjusted when you get home, and no tools required. Get a copy of the setup instructions, and make sure the dealer sets it up right. I love mine, works very well, and you will need one.

I am speaking of the Reese Dual Cam, or sometimes called the Reese Straight Line. Don't settle for a Reese with the sliding brake for your set up.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

I agree with Windrider, the slider brake systems does work well but only if you have apretty standard trailer tow weight most of the time. You will be varying your trailer weight a lot so the dual cam will be better for your application.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I cancelled the purchase of the a frame. The deck was only rated for 650 lbs. We bought a 19rr gray wolf and the reese straight line with 800 lb bars. Pulls great.