Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Here's what I want, where do I get it?

OK, I have a 21rr and many talk about and are using the tailgate as a back porch by placing stand under it or suspending it with chains. This is what I would like. If I had a pair of front landing jacks from a fifth wheel and they were mounted in a bracket that could be fastened to the tailgate that could be dropped vertically when the tailgate was opened level and adjusted for height that would be the perfect solution. Does anyone make these?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1
OK, I have a 21rr and many talk about and are using the tailgate as a back porch by placing stand under it or suspending it with chains. This is what I would like. If I had a pair of front landing jacks from a fifth wheel and they were mounted in a bracket that could be fastened to the tailgate that could be dropped vertically when the tailgate was opened level and adjusted for height that would be the perfect solution. Does anyone make these?
So like an adjustable kick stand on a hinge?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

After you unload your toy you raise the door up until it's level. Then you lock the landing jacks in the down position and drop the extensions until they contact the ground. That's it. When you are ready to leave you raise the door, lock the jacks against the door and return the extensions.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Short answer, NO. Long answer, most fifth wheel jacks are about 4~5 feet long when fully retracted. You only see the foot part when looking at a camper, the rest is behind a door in the nose, along with the battery, and propane tanks. You also have an electric motor, either mechanical or hydraulic, and all the extra weight to go with it. A set of fifth wheel jacks could weigh several hundred pounds, in which case, you would never be able to lift and close your tailgate.

Now, I did look at some of the flip down jacks, as used on some pop ups, and thought about mounting those on the corners of the tailgate, but was going to be tricky to get the right spot, where the tailgate would go all the way to the ground.

I finally got a piece of 2x4, hollowed it out some to fit the rubber bumpers, then attached two scissor jacks to it, the same ones as are on the corners of my camper. Once I get set up, I can the lower the tailgate, place the board and jacks under it, and just use my electric drill to get the jacks set for level. When I want the gate closed, I just close it, and leave the boards and the jacks alone. Have to set up and tear down once per trip. Carry the board and the jacks in the ruck. Have pics posted in one of my albums
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

I would go with cable supports from the top down. You never know how un-level the ground will be behind your trailer. This guy just used automotive jack stands...

Pimp my 19RR!

(scroll down most the way on page 20)

Did you see that post? I am not sure, the 19RR-25RR's don't have that big of a gate like some of the big 5th wheel toy haulers, so when doing this, your "deck" is going to be fairly small.

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Short answer, NO. Long answer, most fifth wheel jacks are about 4~5 feet long when fully retracted. You only see the foot part when looking at a camper, the rest is behind a door in the nose, along with the battery, and propane tanks. You also have an electric motor, either mechanical or hydraulic, and all the extra weight to go with it. A set of fifth wheel jacks could weigh several hundred pounds, in which case, you would never be able to lift and close your tailgate.

Now, I did look at some of the flip down jacks, as used on some pop ups, and thought about mounting those on the corners of the tailgate, but was going to be tricky to get the right spot, where the tailgate would go all the way to the ground.

I finally got a piece of 2x4, hollowed it out some to fit the rubber bumpers, then attached two scissor jacks to it, the same ones as are on the corners of my camper. Once I get set up, I can the lower the tailgate, place the board and jacks under it, and just use my electric drill to get the jacks set for level. When I want the gate closed, I just close it, and leave the boards and the jacks alone. Have to set up and tear down once per trip. Carry the board and the jacks in the ruck. Have pics posted in one of my albums
I love your scissor jack and 2x4 idea. I may just steal it But I was wondering if those two support cables running from the top down were already installed on your trailer or if you added them?