Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

How much clearance do I need?

We are looking at purchasing our first ever toy, a Honda Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe. At the widest point it is 59 1/2 at the rollbar. We have 60 1/2 between the oven handle on one side and the stereo cabinets on the other side. I am worried that while traveling, the machine will rock and sway enough to do some damage. The Honda dealer says 1/2" on each side is plenty as long as I tie it down securely.
Am I worrying needlessly, what is anyone's experience with a close fit?

rodigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #2

I've got a lot more room than that and it would also make me nervous. The salesman may be right but I tend not to believe much of what come out of salesmen's mouths as they have an agenda to make a commission. Some still watch out for their customers, regardless of that and others will throw your happiness out the window to get that $$$$.

The salesman that I bought my truck from told me it would tow any RV I wanted to tow with it. He was previously an RV salesman too. I told him not to tell people that as it showed his ignorance and then schooled him on payload restrictions on the door jam sticker and educated him. Maybe he'll be honest now and maybe he won't.

I'm not familiar with your toy but my major concern would be that assuming it has a significant suspension and flex associated with it for off-roading, that it will rock and sway as that suspension absorbs bumps and potholes and such while traveling down the highway.

Trying to press down on each corner and ratchet the travel out of the suspension to minimize the risk when tying down would likely stress the tie downs badly in the rv floor after a bit of time.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully someone with that amount of space on each side chimes in and gives you real world experience.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:04 AM   #3

I would guess that not only should you worry about the machine shifting but parking it as well. With only a half inch per side to spare?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #4

I haul a Polaris Ranger Crew in my Boost Toy Hauler. I have an inch clearance on each side. It is tricky to load and tie down, but we have hauled it from North Alabama to Southern Illinois twice with no problems.
RollTideRam is offline   Reply With Quote