Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #1

How to clean gas tank for generator - Help needed

I'll give a brief intro 1st, I found this forum last year while shopping for a Work and Play, joined, gained a plethora of info, then the Toy Hauler I was buying turned out to be less that was advertised - the floor was rotted in 3 places. Kept shopping and found what I wanted, But it is a Starcraft. I :

Anyway, I read daily this forums posts and enjoy it, knowing there is a ton of knowledge waiting, and that leads me to my 1st thread post. I bought this late October 16' and have not used it. Seller informed me he had not used the onboard Onan 2800 for 2 years, and I can smell the "old gas odor when I pull the gas cap. I do plan to do a complete service, oil change, and filter, but I am not sure what to do with the fuel tank. It is a 16 gallon poly tank, has about 14' of rubber fuel line going under belly fwd to the generator, then up behind the genny with a clamped split just before it goes up. No inline filter. All of this appears to be original. The 2nd tank is for the toy fueling station and it has never been used, and I won't likely use it either.

Is it necessary to clean this nearly empty tank with a ?? solvent, gas, then drain and fill, or would it be better to install a filter inline, add gas, drive around to mix, and attempt to run the genny? Am I forgetting anything? I could not find anything online about cleaning a poly fuel tank, but figure someone here may have experience with this in the past, and might share their wisdom.
Here is my TH.
Thanks, for any advice on my issue with the fuel tank.

JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #2

J, If it was me, I would disconnect fuel line at the genset and with air blow whatever is there back into the tank... then siphon or pump all the gas out via the fill spout that I could; remove and clean out the carb; replace fuel filters. I would fill tank to 1/2 or more; then add the proper stabilizer brand of your choice. I have used both Stabil and Seafoam. IMO you don't have to thoroughly / immaculately clean the tank. I prefer to empty a tank for long term storage and then run engine carb dry... or keep it full and run every week with Stabil always in there. I don't like gas that's 6 months old either way, but my brother has a tank with year old gas that at least smells okay.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd start by draining the tank and the lines. You said it was nearly empty so you're not out a lot or have much to dispose of. Install a good inline filter. Add fresh gas, (with stabilizer of your choice) and try to start. If the genny runs, just leave it run a while and the fresh gas will do a good job of cleaning out whatever was left in the carb.

If it won't start, you're going to have to pull the carb and clean.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator, tank