Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 2,381
Angry Insurance Include Toys?

Hello all, having just purchased my first toy hauler, and getting insurance, I was looked at very strangely when I gave a value of the contents over half as much as the value of the trailer. When I explained the motorcycles, the answer came back, you already have insurance on them. Here the chase begins: What's inside the camper may not be covered if it has tags and insurance on it already. A motorcycle being towed in a trailer will not be covered by the motorcycle insurance, but rather by the tow vehicle insurance. Read carefully, your camper insurance may not be in effect if it is connected to the tow vehicle. You may need to get load insurance on the tow vehicle, just like a tractor-trailer.
Oh the world of insurance, has to be run by lawyer wanna be's.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Justin, Tx
Posts: 2,671
Yeah, we've found the same here so we don't have any insurance on the trailer at all. While at the house it's covered under the homeowner's and while being towed it's covered under my TV. We just have beefed up on each.

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
MtnGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,276
Our auto insurance policy provides liability insurance on any towed vehicle, but not collision or comprehensive while being towed, so we have the trailer insured for lose of value....just in case.

MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist
Radio's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,779
I have real RV insurance.

This covers physical damage to the trailer while being towed and covers the contents for theft. My deductables are $1000 so the premium is only $400 and change each year. Also, if the trailer it totaled for any reason, weather, fire, accident, theft...I get a brand new trailer (minus $1000) for the first five years of ownership.

It would be nice if the TV insurance and the RV insurance were with the same people. Having just ran over the dealers gatepost with the trailer (oops!) I have found the RV insurance carrier to be way more competent than the TV people.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
I recently had my trailer broken into. My TV was stolen as well as a bunch of damage. The insurance company covered the TV only because it was installed by the manufacturer. Any after market items such as adding a TV, "toy", grill, etc. are covered under your homeowners policy and subject to an additional deductible.
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 74
Ok now you have me wondering, guess I better check my coverage. I do have separate coverage for the the TV, TT and full coverage on my two ATV's.

lets see how ling it takes to figure this out.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Junior Member
ES4Me's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 7
After having just gone through the theft and subsequent destruction of our travel trailer and it's contents in January - I can honestly say I am VERY glad I had separate RV insurance rather than relying on my auto or home owners policies. We are purchasing a new 5'er to be picked up in May and again - we will have specialty RV insurance. Unlike Radio, we did not have a replacement coverage (DH thought it would be a 'waste of money') but he agrees we will have replacement this time!

Victoria, TX
ES4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Avid outdoorsman
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Logan Lake Canada BC
Posts: 29
I actually have a home owners policy on the trailer itself. It covers the contents and replacement value of the trailer. We also have road insurance for just the trailer itself . IE trailer plate. The trailer plate is something like 75 $ for the year and the other policy is around 400$ a year.As far as I know I am covered under the HP even while traveling.

2007 3500 Dodge quad cab 5.9
2007 Suzuki King Quad
2009 29FBSP Sandstorm Toyhauler
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.