Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Layout help?

We currently have a Salem 27dbk travel trailer. It's not a toy hauler, we have been looking into toy haulers but do not so far like any of the floor plans.

We would like it to be like our current camper with the addition to the trailer space for our dirt bikes.

Fixed kitchen table is a must, and would not want beds in the back trailer/storage space. We have yet to find a layout that is more mellow and not "party" central type of layout. I guess were just dull, but we are a low key quiet family and dont need the flashy entertainment system with sounds systems and flashy lights.
Lee Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Most people want something in the garage area after the toys are pulled out. The majority of TH RV's are going to have a top bunk that can be pinned to the roof area and a set of opposing couches that face each other and a table can be put between them for a picnic table type dinette or the couches can be folded flat for a second Queen width, longer bed.

After pulling up your floor plan to see what you are trying to match and add a garage, the best suggestion I can offer you is may be able to talk to a dealer and tell them you want to order a TH without the happi-jack system in the back. That said, you are going to be looking at a maximum length 42'+ toy hauler to have a master bedroom, fixed dinette and sofa area + a 10'-12' garage.

Likely a 1 ton truck to pull it with also if you don't have one already.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

Yes we have a ram 3500 1 ton. Truck isn't the issue for now.

I dont get why so many TH have removable kitchen tables. I guess our focus when we are camping is eating, riding dirt bikes and site seeing. So the party theme doesn't work for us and we like to cook so we need the kitchen space and a good solid kitchen table for everyone to eat around. Heck we dont even use the TV in our camper.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #4

I hope you find the tt you need with your requirements. I haven't seen one with your layout and a garage attached. I would add a lot of length to the unit which might limit where you could camp. A fifth wheel might give you a similar length to your current unit, but you're going to have to search a bit to see if anyone makes it.

As to removable kitchen tables, we like ours because it gives us more leg room when we're relaxing (and watching tv). Those entertainment centers are a lot of 'bling' for not a lot of money for the manufacturers and appeal to people who like to listen to music or want to watch the videos of their bike rides and site seeing.

I agree that bunks in an area where you're going to be hauling dirt bikes might be a problem.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Check out my model below. It gives us a ton of counter space and a lot of interior room. Room for camp chairs or they sell those gravity recliners if the seating in the opposing couches isn't your thing. I've had 6 people seated in the camper during a rainy day without feeling crowded which isn't easy with some floor plans.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

Do you want a TT or a 5th wheel? How many kids? I can tell you the many things we saw and learned in our multi-year search for the right model for us. We had similar requirements as you....but we were looking for a 5th wheel.

Butch and Sharon
Goldsboro, NC
2020 Wolfpack 365Pack16
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC in back
2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD DRW
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:12 AM   #7

Lee, one more suggestion. Watch a bunch of Youtube review/walkarounds on toyhaulers. There are a ton of floor plans out there and hopefully that slaps the right one in front of you. Good Luck in your search.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Thanks a bunch for your insight.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #9

We looked at this when we decided to fulltime, but ultimately kept our 26RR and got a fifth wheel. Will only hold 1 or 2 motorcycles and maybe a golf cart, but its a similar layout

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/