Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #1

Living full time in a Work and Play 18EC

Hello, I am a new poster and have never owned or lived in a toy hauler or RV.
I am purchasing a large commercial steel building and want to either build a small apartment in it or buy a travel trailer to live in full time. I really like the Utilitarian features of the Work and Play 18EC and think I could live in something like that with no real space issues. However, I have questions about the trailer.
1. It will be kept inside a large metal non-insulated warehouse type building will I hurt myself running the propane water heater and furnace?
2. How can I prevent the plumbing from freezing? Do trailer skirts do the trick or do I need to insulate somehow the plumbing and tanks underneath the trailer? Our temps here can get down in the 20's a few days a year.
3.Are there any other people that live in a W&P 18EC full time?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Answer 1. Depends on air tight the building is. I would run the water heater on electric and use electric heaters. Put CO2 alarms outside the camper if really worried.

Answer 2. If in a building in Texas I would worry about water freezing except maybe the hose going to camper. If outside or in a different place maybe.

Would make sure you can dump your tanks being inside having the right connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #3

Hello, Thank you so much for the reply!
Looking at the specs for the 18EC I'm not sure it has a dual fuel water heater?
I also am assuming all the water lines are inside the trailer and the only exposed plumbing, under the trailer, would be the holding tanks? If that is the case I would really only have to worry about the tanks freezing as long as I kept the inside of the trailer above freezing. I suppose RV antifreeze would solve the problem of the tanks freezing. Also I see heated hoses with thermostats available online so that solves the inlet problem.
The building has a septic system and I think I could fairly easily hard plumb the trailers waste dump to that septic system? Then the only issue would be getting used to managing the tanks because as I understand it I could not just leave the black tank open because it would cause it to clog.

Are there any other issues that I should be thinking about?

How well would you expect the appliances, water heater, air conditioner, and so on to hold up?

Again, thank you for your help. I am unfamiliar with all of this and am just trying to think it all through before I jump in. I am very fascinated with these trailers and think it would be a wonderfully simple solution.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

More than likely the tanks will have heaters and be enclosed. Your septic will need to be thread to sill off the smell in the shop.

I would have a electric/gas water heater. That way if one goes out you have a fall back till repaired.

In Texas for the summer I would have two ACs.

I stay in mine in MI and MA till the end of the year. In Ohio and WV have been year round. Not saying it's the funniest but still doing it.

You have to get more information about the camper to see if it meets your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

Bryan123, I researched all that in 2010. Opted not to build a commercial metal building (cost biggest reason), but constructed 50'X60' 13-run block building with remaining superstructure of 2x6 and metal skin. Works great. Used free-span trusses. The building is plumbed and wired and has two 50amp hookups; one outside and one inside. I'm a fulltimer and this is my base in middle Tennessee (Cookeville). I stayed in the building in a Rockwood Ultra light 8265ws 5er last winter, but expect to head south this year. There are some winter issues and precautions, but very do able. You can pm me for more details of an RV in a building during winter (below 32) temps. Hershell
2Bushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Outside Vent for Black tank

You'll want to extend the black water tank vent on the roof to run outside, either through the roof or wall of the building. Otherwise, you'll building will start to stink.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Thanks again for all the reply.
2bushes, here in Texas we will only have a ha full of super cold days, normally, sometimes it can stay cold longer. I would love to hear your thoughts because you have wintered in a much colder climate inside a building as I am researching.
I do not believe the W&P 18EC has heated tanks or a dual fuel water heater. Maybe it is safe to run the propane water heater inside the metal building but I question the use of the propane furnace. I would probably just run an electric heater all winter long.
I bet I would be ok if I used a heated supply hose and built a skirt to go around the trailer and put a small low temp heater under the trailer on supper cold days, maybe even a drop light that will just warm up the area.
I didn't think about the plumbing vents, I suppose I could try without venting them outside the home building and if it starts to stink vent them outside.
Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

A large uninsulated Metal building is Only a Windbreak! The inside Temp is same as Outside! Only advantage is after a real cold night then the Sun comes up you will get a Free Shower Inside the Steel Building! Youroo!!

Tags
work and play