Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #21
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Well, today was the day! Finally got the Salem down to the dealer, did the paperwork on the XLR, and hauled it home. First time pulling a 5-er, I can't believe how much better it towed than the Salem (and its 1400# heavier.) I know, it didn't happen without pics...
Congrats on bringing your new XLR home! Nice looking setup with the truck too.
__________________

__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,506
Congrats Taranwanderer, great looking combo!
__________________

__________________
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,019
That's a good looking rig. I like how the awning covers both doors (it doesn't on my trailer).

Let us know how your shakedown trip goes.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's a good looking rig. I like how the awning covers both doors (it doesn't on my trailer).

Let us know how your shakedown trip goes.
Plan is for this coming weekend, a dry camping trip at RC Off-Road park for RCrocs event #2 for the year.

DW and I spent the better part of two days restocking it with all the stuff that was in the Salem, it's been fun! The storage in the XLR is...well, different. Like, there isn't a drawer to put silverware in kind of different. So it's been a weekend of "where are we going to put that?" The other mild PIA is that this unit came with generator prep, which is great, except that they put the gas tank for said generator directly under the floor in the garage where I need to bolt down wheel chocks. So it's been a weekend of figuring and brainstorming as well. All in all, the unit looks great and I can't wait to get out in it.
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #25
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
My buddy uses industrial velcro for his chocks in his toy hauler along with two ratcheting tie down straps. Hauls two full dress Harleys and they have never moved an inch.
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 188
Congrats...
__________________
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #27
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Looks great...I speak only of the camper of course! LOL

Happy Camping ,)


Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #28
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 332
Very nice looking, congrats and welcome to the XLR family. I picked up mine in January and like it more every time I use it.
__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #29
Incheon, S. Korea
 
BigBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Well, today was the day! Finally got the Salem down to the dealer, did the paperwork on the XLR, and hauled it home. First time pulling a 5-er, I can't believe how much better it towed than the Salem (and its 1400# heavier.) I know, it didn't happen without pics...
By the picture I'd say it was worth the wait! Nice!
__________________
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Plan is for this coming weekend, a dry camping trip at RC Off-Road park for RCrocs event #2 for the year.

DW and I spent the better part of two days restocking it with all the stuff that was in the Salem, it's been fun! The storage in the XLR is...well, different. Like, there isn't a drawer to put silverware in kind of different. So it's been a weekend of "where are we going to put that?" The other mild PIA is that this unit came with generator prep, which is great, except that they put the gas tank for said generator directly under the floor in the garage where I need to bolt down wheel chocks. So it's been a weekend of figuring and brainstorming as well. All in all, the unit looks great and I can't wait to get out in it.
Don't bolt the chokes down, trust me.

Watch this video;

Then go to Harbor Frieght and buy a couple of these chocks;
Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock

Using the ones from harbor frieght, use straps to keep them (the chocks) from moving forward, put the bike in the chock and pull it forward with a couple more straps. Add two straps to the back of the bike to control side to side movement, your good to go.

No new holes in floor.
__________________

__________________
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forest river

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.