Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Well, today was the day! Finally got the Salem down to the dealer, did the paperwork on the XLR, and hauled it home. First time pulling a 5-er, I can't believe how much better it towed than the Salem (and its 1400# heavier.) I know, it didn't happen without pics...
Congrats on bringing your new XLR home! Nice looking setup with the truck too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #22

Congrats Taranwanderer, great looking combo!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Site Team

That's a good looking rig. I like how the awning covers both doors (it doesn't on my trailer).

Let us know how your shakedown trip goes.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's a good looking rig. I like how the awning covers both doors (it doesn't on my trailer).

Let us know how your shakedown trip goes.
Plan is for this coming weekend, a dry camping trip at RC Off-Road park for RCrocs event #2 for the year.

DW and I spent the better part of two days restocking it with all the stuff that was in the Salem, it's been fun! The storage in the XLR is...well, different. Like, there isn't a drawer to put silverware in kind of different. So it's been a weekend of "where are we going to put that?" The other mild PIA is that this unit came with generator prep, which is great, except that they put the gas tank for said generator directly under the floor in the garage where I need to bolt down wheel chocks. So it's been a weekend of figuring and brainstorming as well. All in all, the unit looks great and I can't wait to get out in it.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
Infractee

My buddy uses industrial velcro for his chocks in his toy hauler along with two ratcheting tie down straps. Hauls two full dress Harleys and they have never moved an inch.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #26

Congrats...
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Camper Less Camping

Looks great...I speak only of the camper of course! LOL

Happy Camping ,)

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #28
2014 XLR 27HFS

Very nice looking, congrats and welcome to the XLR family. I picked up mine in January and like it more every time I use it.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #29
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Well, today was the day! Finally got the Salem down to the dealer, did the paperwork on the XLR, and hauled it home. First time pulling a 5-er, I can't believe how much better it towed than the Salem (and its 1400# heavier.) I know, it didn't happen without pics...
By the picture I'd say it was worth the wait! Nice!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Plan is for this coming weekend, a dry camping trip at RC Off-Road park for RCrocs event #2 for the year.

DW and I spent the better part of two days restocking it with all the stuff that was in the Salem, it's been fun! The storage in the XLR is...well, different. Like, there isn't a drawer to put silverware in kind of different. So it's been a weekend of "where are we going to put that?" The other mild PIA is that this unit came with generator prep, which is great, except that they put the gas tank for said generator directly under the floor in the garage where I need to bolt down wheel chocks. So it's been a weekend of figuring and brainstorming as well. All in all, the unit looks great and I can't wait to get out in it.
Don't bolt the chokes down, trust me.

Watch this video;

Then go to Harbor Frieght and buy a couple of these chocks;
Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock

Using the ones from harbor frieght, use straps to keep them (the chocks) from moving forward, put the bike in the chock and pull it forward with a couple more straps. Add two straps to the back of the bike to control side to side movement, your good to go.

No new holes in floor.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Don't bolt the chokes down, trust me.

Watch this video;

Then go to Harbor Frieght and buy a couple of these chocks;
Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock

Using the ones from harbor frieght, use straps to keep them (the chocks) from moving forward, put the bike in the chock and pull it forward with a couple more straps. Add two straps to the back of the bike to control side to side movement, your good to go.

No new holes in floor.
This is the chock I use but for some reason you can't buy the larger one anymore. At least, last time I checked it was no longer available. Not sure what happened. The website EZCHOCK.COM looks like one of those "I bought your domain" sites.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
This is the chock I use but for some reason you can't buy the larger one anymore. At least, last time I checked it was no longer available. Not sure what happened. The website EZCHOCK.COM looks like one of those "I bought your domain" sites.
Yeah, I wasn't advocating the EZ Chock, just the concept of using straps to contain the forward movement.

I have (2) of the Harbor Frieght chock / stands. Use straps, that way, the floor is quickly clear, when needed.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Yeah, I wasn't advocating the EZ Chock, just the concept of using straps to contain the forward movement.

I have (2) of the Harbor Frieght chock / stands. Use straps, that way, the floor is quickly clear, when needed.
Yea I know and I agree. My father did bolt one down and on his first trip, when he got home he found the bike leaning on the stove. Now he is trying to build an EZ Chock type setup out of his Pingel chock so that nothing would be bolted down. I found a nice thick rubber mat helps too. I've never had an issue with my EZ Chock. Sure wish I could get another one though.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #34

Wow, that's...intriguing. Never considered NOT bolting the chock down. Only concern is what happens if a strap breaks? My Suzuki Boulevard was in my buddy's trailer last year, in a Harbor Freight chock (bolted to the floor,) and one of the straps broke. Bike leaned a little, but the chock kept it upright. I don't think it would have done that if it hadn't been bolted to the floor.

The EZChock sounds like one of those "Boy, that's a good idea" ideas until you have a strap break on you. Then it's like one of those "Why didn't I trust my gut and bolt the chock through the floor securely" ideas...

Looks like Kuryakyn might have bought them out...?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Wow, that's...intriguing. Never considered NOT bolting the chock down. Only concern is what happens if a strap breaks? My Suzuki Boulevard was in my buddy's trailer last year, in a Harbor Freight chock (bolted to the floor,) and one of the straps broke. Bike leaned a little, but the chock kept it upright. I don't think it would have done that if it hadn't been bolted to the floor.

The EZChock sounds like one of those "Boy, that's a good idea" ideas until you have a strap break on you. Then it's like one of those "Why didn't I trust my gut and bolt the chock through the floor securely" ideas...

Looks like Kuryakyn might have bought them out...?
I guess I feel like if a strap breaks, bad things are going to happen? If it's one of the ones attached to the bike, or the chock?

I mean, even if you bolt the chock down, your still going to use straps on the bike, correct? One of those could break.

But, I'm not using the EZ Chock, it does not have the legs, with the rubber feet, that the Harbor Frieght chock does. The Harbor Frieght Chock is designed as a free standing unit. You could use strap your bike right to it, if you wanted to. I chose not to.

I use (2) straps holding the chock from moving forward, then (4) straps on the bike. (2) in the front and (2) in the rear. (6) total straps (tie downs) per bike. If I lose (1) hopefully the other (5) hold it until I notice the problem.

I use these;
Rider Cargo Soft Loop Buckle Tie Downs | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Tags
forest river