Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #1

Motorcycle tie downs

I have a 18ft Blast 150 toy hauler - I want to haul my Street Glide so only have 2 tie downs up front nothing in the rear, and I need to a chock or the bike bar. Question is - I think I will have to drop on of the bladders to install the chock or bike bar and depending on which wheel chock will have to add 2 rear tie downs?? Anyone done this add on? TIA
Larryob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #2

If you are going to install a wheel chock or the biker bar to the floor (best method), at the same time I would also install tie downs at the rear of the hauler. The wheel chock I use is not mounted/secured to the floor. Bike sits in it, and front is secured with tie down straps to the upper tree of the bike. I have rear tie downs, and using those with straps to the rear of my bike (600 lbs) has worked for over 10K miles.

Not sure I would tow without somehow securing the rear of the bike. 800+ lbs is a lot of bike when the road is not smooth.

Just make sure whatever you do, it is secured to the frame cross member, or a big flat metal plate underneath to secure and disperse the load. I would do the same for tie downs in the rear to keep the rear of the bike moving.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

check out these tie downs and chock. i used harbour freight's chock with these straps and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Load-BK1...7D6Y9HXTTX7M3E
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Team

When I set up my bike trailer ( 3 large bikes). I used recessed tie downs secured to the floor. Under the floor I used an 8" 2 x 8 and a 4" x 4" piece of 1/4'" steel plate to secure each tie down. I would not count on a wheel check to prevent forward motion you need to have rear tie downs. If the garage is not visible form the cab, add a remote camera or baby monitor. Really nice to have visibility and not have to stop to check after every good bump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If the garage is not visible form the cab, add a remote camera or baby monitor. Really nice to have visibility and not have to stop to check after every good bump.

I use a camera that plugs into my charging plug on the motorcycle and hang the camera on the TV mount. The wife just uses her phone wifi to connect to the camera when she starts to worry about anything inside.

Picture of the bikes in my shed for the winter (zero light inside).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6080.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	194444  
Jetlag_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Grey wolf 22r

My 2019 only came with 4 tie downs....2 on each side, front and back. I haul 2 motorcycles and I want to add 2 more tiedowns, front and back in the center. What is the framing configuration?? How thick is floor. Can I just use 1/4 in lag bolts or is a frame support going down the center? Where? How should i handle this. I haul Suzuki 650 vstroms adventure bikes. Only 425lb each. How big is that framing member if there is one. I really do not want to cut into the bottom fabric if I don't have to but I want safe! How did Forest river intall their tiedowns? contact me at : vagabondslr42@aol.com
thanks
manofsteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
REL

I use this for my dirt bikes..they have a Harley set up also..2 j hooks into 2 d rings and I can fit 3 bikes...The rack takes 2 minutes to install and uninstall..

https://beastracks.com/store/
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

so you get two bikes in a 22rr? I'm looking at getting this TH & I have a HD Street Glide (825 lbs) & the wife's Honda rebel 300 (370 lbs) & didn't know if they'd fit. do you put your two side by side or one up towards the front of the trailer & one behind?

thanks
Loren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

Make sure u put the heaviest towrd the front due to not enough weight on tongue. If u dont the trailer wil be very squirley. Then load the other back behind. All should be good then. Why Forest River didnt set wheels back farther for a toy hauler, i will never know. My 2 bikes combo weight is only 900 lbs so what is a golf cart?. Forget asking FR for they dont know themselves nor do they care!. So now i do 1 forward and 1 back near door
Very inconvenient ! Danm FOREST RIVER
manofsteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle