Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

mounting D-rings to the wall in the garage

I'd like to mount some small d-rings to the wall of the garage. This isn't to support a toy. I just want to put a strap across my tool chest to hold it in place. I'm unable to find anything on the external walls using a stud finder, although the dealer said there are aluminum I-bars in there. I found studs in the front wall and probed them with a very small drill bit, but only dust came out so I suspect they're particle board and unusable for this.

Any suggestions?
dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

You say you found studs in the front wall and using a small bit to check them out will produce dust. The studs will be made of 2x2 lumber. Particle board is not a good structural component for any wall. You can find the aluminum studs using a electronic stud detector made for use with metal studs. The older ones that detect the iron/steel nails in the wall will not work.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

If you have a side mount couch, or drop down bed maybe you could follow those down the wall...their drilled into the studs.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Always Learning

If you wait for a cool dewy morning, you can usually see the studs from the outside. Take measurements:
Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #5

i used e track in my toy hauler on sides , used a stud finder to find the studs. to hold my tool box and tables, chairs and other things. i can use e track straps and d rings.
festis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Old Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you wait for a cool dewy morning, you can usually see the studs from the outside. Take measurements:
Clever idea!
Like it.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #7

Here's what I did

IN a Puma Unleashed, I found the upright stud in the wall merely by pressing on the wall. I placed a 3/8 in plywood panel along the stud, and since what came next was wider than the stud I did this: I placed a E-track (horizontal slots) inthe center of the plywood, and marked everything so that one edge of the E track would run along the stud. I placed a film of heavy glue on the back of the ply, then held both items up to the proper point and drove 1.5 inch self-tapping screws into the stud along the one side of the E Track. A 24 inch track has a hole every 3/4 inch, so there are a LOT of them. I then drove 3/4 inch self tapping screws into the part that is just wall board. The placement is rock solid. I use their d ring on a small strap, to attach two ratchet straps, and hold up all my "flat" stuff against the wall. Chairs, tables, ladder, etc. NEVER moves.
I also placed 4 long (5ft) E tracks on the floor, and two small ones at the front of the garage to put the tire holders for the Quad. That is rock solid too. I had posted photos of all this, in another thread, but can go back and take some more if you really don't understand what I am talking about.
Now, the tool box. I Don't have a ton of tools in it, so it doesn't weigh much. the top 3 drawers are my Wife's, for stuff she couldn't put in the kitchen, and the bottom three are mine for fishing stuff, and a few tools. I took out all the drawers, and didn't install the wheels when I bought it. It sits flat on the deck, so I just ran 1 inch self tapping screws through the bottom sheet, into the deck (3/4 inch decking) and through the back wall into the stud along the wall behind it. VERY solid. A perfect installation, and I am really pleased with it.
Two last items: I found a folding bookshelf at Bi Mart, and put it at the front of the Quad. It can stay open with the quad in place! so that's where all the cereals, and bottled waters, and kids drinks go. I had to run a 1X3 from the header above the glass door, to the floor, to screw the shelf to on one side. The other side is into a stud on the wall.
Above the sliding glass door that separates the garage from the kitchen, I put some wire shelving. Again, a piece of plywood to bridge the studs at one end, and several self tapping screws, and viola, a place to fix the wire shelving to. It bridges across to the box cabinet on the other side of the garage, above the tool box I mentioned earlier. Light stuff like empty duffles, TP, and paper towels, a light tackle box. When we fish on the Gulf Coast, I place all my rods between the two bunk beds, and raise them up. I use a flat bungi cord from one side to the other to hold them in place.

Loving it!
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
IN a Puma Unleashed, I found the upright stud in the wall merely by pressing on the wall. I placed a 3/8 in plywood panel along the stud, and since what came next was wider than the stud I did this: I placed a E-track (horizontal slots) inthe center of the plywood, and marked everything so that one edge of the E track would run along the stud. I placed a film of heavy glue on the back of the ply, then held both items up to the proper point and drove 1.5 inch self-tapping screws into the stud along the one side of the E Track. A 24 inch track has a hole every 3/4 inch, so there are a LOT of them. I then drove 3/4 inch self tapping screws into the part that is just wall board. The placement is rock solid. I use their d ring on a small strap, to attach two ratchet straps, and hold up all my "flat" stuff against the wall. Chairs, tables, ladder, etc. NEVER moves.

I also placed 4 long (5ft) E tracks on the floor, and two small ones at the front of the garage to put the tire holders for the Quad. That is rock solid too. I had posted photos of all this, in another thread, but can go back and take some more if you really don't understand what I am talking about.

Now, the tool box. I Don't have a ton of tools in it, so it doesn't weigh much. the top 3 drawers are my Wife's, for stuff she couldn't put in the kitchen, and the bottom three are mine for fishing stuff, and a few tools. I took out all the drawers, and didn't install the wheels when I bought it. It sits flat on the deck, so I just ran 1 inch self tapping screws through the bottom sheet, into the deck (3/4 inch decking) and through the back wall into the stud along the wall behind it. VERY solid. A perfect installation, and I am really pleased with it.

Two last items: I found a folding bookshelf at Bi Mart, and put it at the front of the Quad. It can stay open with the quad in place! so that's where all the cereals, and bottled waters, and kids drinks go. I had to run a 1X3 from the header above the glass door, to the floor, to screw the shelf to on one side. The other side is into a stud on the wall.

Above the sliding glass door that separates the garage from the kitchen, I put some wire shelving. Again, a piece of plywood to bridge the studs at one end, and several self tapping screws, and viola, a place to fix the wire shelving to. It bridges across to the box cabinet on the other side of the garage, above the tool box I mentioned earlier. Light stuff like empty duffles, TP, and paper towels, a light tackle box. When we fish on the Gulf Coast, I place all my rods between the two bunk beds, and raise them up. I use a flat bungi cord from one side to the other to hold them in place.

Loving it!

Great ideas...thanks!
ibabble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount