Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

New 5er Toy Hauler - What Wheel/Tire Essentials?

Hey all --

My wife and I just bought a new Shockwave 5er this past weekend. We've never had one of these before. We went to Camping World and got a number of items for the inside, etc.

One thing that I don't know about are the needs of wood blocks, those things that go between the tires to keep them from moving, etc. I saw that you can buy bright orange or yellow stackable blocks. I'm guessing that you want to put the landing gear under some sort of block? Why? Also, do I need to get blocks for the tires as well to help level the unit if it's not on flat ground? It's a dual axle trailer so I'm not sure if that is difficult to put blocks under both tires on one side or not.

What about covering the wheels? I see a lot of people cover the wheels and tires. Why is that?

Anything else that I may be missing in regards to this type of stuff?

Thank you,

-Allistah

Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

On soft ground you may want to put 2 x 10s under the landing gear for more surface area. I use 2x 10s under the wheels to level it is very easy you need a carpenters level (or other level). Just pull the trailer onto the 2xs )

The lego levelers are nice but for me 2x 10s are much cheaper & if you loose them no big deal

You need wheel chocks to keep the trailer from moving or rolling off........

Been discussed just do a search.......about leveling. The trailer needs to be side to side level as well as front to back level.

Covering the wheels in storage is a good idea the sun is your enemy

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Are those things that bind between the wheels to prevent them from moving bad for the axles? I would think that putting pressure side to side like that where it's not meant could be bad for them over time? I guess when you put tires up on 2x10s, you can really use the wedges that go behind the tires. I guess if you use the thing that goes between the tires you should have one on both sides?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Congrats on the fifth wheel. Mine is being delivered tomorrow. Search the forums for answers to many of your questions. I spent months searching all the RV forums I could find and found answers to questions that I didn't even know to ask yet. It was a lot of time spent reading a ton of posts but time very well spent. My dealer is great and has been doing this for years and I found things that he hadn't heard of. Good luck with your new toy hauler

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #5

Thanks.. I've been searching and learned a lot about chocks and all that. I'll probably start out with a couple sets of 10 of the orange blocks and the tire chocks that go with them as well as the flat caps. Will also get a set of the deluxe BAL tire chocks to minimize movement when moving around inside. I'm sure there will be a lot more to learn about this thing once we get it.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new unit and welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

I cover my tires with covers from Walmart online.
The covers are to protect the tires from UV damage.

What Causes Dry, Rotted Tires? | eHow

Classic Accessories RV Wheel Covers, White - Walmart.com

Be sure you get the right size for your units tires.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Lol, I'm in the same boat. It's my first fifth wheel so let the learning begin.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Remember the yellow block only fit yellow covers ans so on.
And Orange blocks only go with orange covers, etc.
They don't interchange.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

I suggest only buying the minimum amount of stuff until you've used the TH some. I prefer boards over the plastic blocks and with a TH you have room to store them. There are lots of good products, but you don't need ALL of them! My previous trailer was a 43 foot 5th wheel TH that was used as a winter home in Fl. IMO, if the trailer weight is supported on rubber tires, you will always have some motion. For long stays I carried large cribbing (big wood blocks) and 4 screw jacks under the frame in addition to all the other factory installed jacks.

Tags
tire, toy hauler, wheel, 5er