Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

Handy 2016 and Matthewlove 444 are correct. I dealt with this issue for a long time. Mine also came down to procedure. I hook up my parallel cables to my generators, put my homemade neutral-ground switch into one of the unused receptacles. I fire up the generators and leave them out of Eco mode for the time being. When they stabilize THEN I plug my 30 amp power cord into the parallel cable. If I don't do it this way, my hardwired EMS will not get through the countdown without giving me an open ground readout. It's as if the rig wants the power from the generators stabilized before having the the rigs 30 amp cord plugged in. This is what works for me after much trial and error and beating my head against the wall. Everything was working as it should it was just a matter of procedure. Hope this is helpful to you.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #22

if it was me I would start with the battery converter
westerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #23
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlove444 View Post
Is this something that comes with the TT or is it added?
Typically dealers do not install electronic monitoring systems - they are added after the point of sale.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
Handy 2016 and Matthewlove 444 are correct. I dealt with this issue for a long time. Mine also came down to procedure. I hook up my parallel cables to my generators, put my homemade neutral-ground switch into one of the unused receptacles. I fire up the generators and leave them out of Eco mode for the time being. When they stabilize THEN I plug my 30 amp power cord into the parallel cable. If I don't do it this way, my hardwired EMS will not get through the countdown without giving me an open ground readout. It's as if the rig wants the power from the generators stabilized before having the the rigs 30 amp cord plugged in. This is what works for me after much trial and error and beating my head against the wall. Everything was working as it should it was just a matter of procedure. Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

If I just go get a standard genny will I still need the EMS. I had a champion and it ran this trailer no problem.

This must be just related to having the paralleled configuration?
matthewlove444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #25

I went back to the RV store where I bought these and they couldn't get them to power up a camper either. First they tried on my camper. Didn't work. Then they tried them running on one of the campers on their lot. Didn't work. Then they got two new generators out and a new parallel cord. Still didn't work.

Moral of the story, I'm buying a standard Ford gas generator. I will post what happens. Of course since I started with a champion generator that powered no problem until age and use got to the best of it, I suspect that it will work.

My felling is that these generators over state their capabilities as someone else noted in this thread.

I did keep one because I really like the ability to pick it up and use anywhere. However, it appears they do not have enough power to run a trailer, despite the manufactures claim.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlove444 View Post
Thank you.

If I just go get a standard genny will I still need the EMS. I had a champion and it ran this trailer no problem.

This must be just related to having the paralleled configuration?
No one actually needs an EMS but they are highly recommended to protect your rig. Available in mobile or hardwire and 30 or 50 amp, they definitely will protect your electrical system. It just depends if you want to roll the dice everytime you plug in to power.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrowsboy View Post
It is imperative that one generated is started first and establishes the second one as the slave. If not you will get an overload condition. I was told this by a Yamaha corporate repersentative. I encountered the same problems. I turned off all breakers in the fifth wheel. Started one generator. Let it warm up and go to Eco mode. Then I started the second unit. I then turned on the ac breaker. Everything worked fine after that
Which one did you start first? The one the trailer is plugged into or the one with nothing plugged into?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Which one did you start first? The one the trailer is plugged into or the one with nothing plugged into?
For the Yamaha you plug into the parallel cord and it plugs into both generators and they are the same model.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
No one actually needs an EMS but they are highly recommended to protect your rig. Available in mobile or hardwire and 30 or 50 amp, they definitely will protect your electrical system. It just depends if you want to roll the dice everytime you plug in to power.
I am on a seasonal site...
My EMS HW50C shut down the power to our trailer last night. Error code E6 -
Line 2 (L2) Voltage low (under 104V)
Highly recommend a Progressive Industries EMS.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I am on a seasonal site...

My EMS HW50C shut down the power to our trailer last night. Error code E6 -

Line 2 (L2) Voltage low (under 104V)

Highly recommend a Progressive Industries EMS.

I hAve also purchased the EMS and although we didn't test the generators with the EMS I decided it wasn't worth the further hassle when I can easily find a powerful enough generator to run all the power on the trailer with ease.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #31

What exactly do you mean they shut down? Does the engine stop or does the acc or overload light come on? I had this same problem when my gens were brand new. I contacted Yamaha direct and was told the gens have to be broken in and warmed up/hot if attempting to run the AC. I did a 10 hour break in at 75% percent load. After this as long as my gens were warm I never had a problem again.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #32

Thanks for all this !! I have a twin Champion 2000 set and I’m new to all this.. I would have been Up a dry creek with a paddle on this is issue... best to all !
makomyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #33

I have 2 of the Honda 2000W generators (1 was the companion gen) with the parallel cables and had no issue powering a 36' Montana 5er with AC and everything running in the trailer.

You must be doing something wrong.

I always plugged in the parallel cable to the gens, with the trailer plug disconnected from the 1 gen. Then start 1 gen on eco and let it stabilize.
Start the companion gen on eco and let stabilize. Then plug trailer power cable to Companion generator. Start AC and Generators will ramp up a bit.

Never had any problems. The Yamaha's are almost exactly like the Honda generators.
Force0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #34

Following

Tags
generator, power