Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Pin box changed during production Vengeance 396V

Hi, new to the forum. I just purchased a 2014 Forest River Vengeance 396V. I'm very happy with the unit but I had an issue after I took receipt. The issue involves the pin box. I put the deposit on this while viewing it at our local RV show. They displayed it at the show as it having the Tri-glide Trail air pin box. I was told I would get the exact same unit that was displayed at the show as long as I put the deposit down that day. Fair enough I thought. I took receipt and when I got it home I realized it had the Roto Flex Trailair system. This is about a $650 downgrade. I contacted the dealer and informed him of the issue. The were aware the pin box had been changed but neglected to communicate that with me. He said I should call Forest River and complain to them. I did that and they told me it was up to the dealership to correct it. I went back to the dealer and he said since Forest River wouldn't do anything that there wasn't anything he could do. He said the factory makes changes all the time to their models and he has no say in the matter. I find that hard to believe...once he realized the pin box had been changed he should have let me know. Instead, he let me find it on my own. I'm just curious if any of you have experienced the factory making changes during the production process and not letting the dealers know until they take receipt. Thanks! Looking forward to being a full time RV'er.

Jerry

Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

One thing I have found out is they are all about you getting "Off the Lot" and then the ping pong match starts.

Sorry to hear your problem. I would try to find any info on the unit you saw at the show and push the matter with the dealer.

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

Doing my best to put up the good fight.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

So- yes, changes DO occur all the time. Many times within the same model year. I've read of furniture getting changed mid-year. Heck, the my camper is an early 2012 - on the later ones, the front cap is very different (less rounded and curvy and a bit more angular)- to be honest, I wouldn't have been happy if mine came that way.

But- the manufacturer truly does make changes. And, I don't know what recourse/options that we have if we don't like what's new.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Do they have another unit with the pin-box you would prefer on their lot? If so, perhaps you could convince them to swap it with yours.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum1989 View Post
Do they have another unit with the pin-box you would prefer on their lot? If so, perhaps you could convince them to swap it with yours.
Yes they do but the dealer won't swap me...says they are matched at the factory by serial number...only thing he is willing to do is give me a good price on a Mor Ryde pin box. I think the Trailair Rotaflex (what is on now) are basically the same since they both have rubber plates and are designed to do the same thing. I don't think the Mor Ryde will give me much benefit. Just my opinion though...
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So- yes, changes DO occur all the time. Many times within the same model year. I've read of furniture getting changed mid-year. Heck, the my camper is an early 2012 - on the later ones, the front cap is very different (less rounded and curvy and a bit more angular)- to be honest, I wouldn't have been happy if mine came that way.

But- the manufacturer truly does make changes. And, I don't know what recourse/options that we have if we don't like what's new.
I know the factory is at the mercy of their vendors who supply them but normally changes usually mean an upgrade. Here the change was a downgrade and made by the factory without any vendor issues and the cost didn't change either. I think I should have received what was promised at the show and not have to fight to try and get it. I guess I'm just upset. I know the quality of the pin box is key in helping to protect the investment of the fifth wheel. I'm sure I will end up footing the bill for the Tri glide pin box...just seems really wrong to have to do that.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

I would guess that neither the tri glide or the roto flex pin boxes are the "standard" factory pin box, and either one would have to be ordered as an option. I would go back and check the original order the dealer placed with FR and check to see what pin box they specified when they ordered it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Good point... I will check it out and see what was ordered.