Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Lolol... I want to be safe and didn't want to get stopped so I upgraded to the dually

New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Infractee

Heck of a good read, leadhead!

Two things I am curious about.

You said that when you and buddies stopped you checked the razor did not move and transferred weight to front of trailer, which is good for sway, but then you said you loaded up the bed of the truck?? That is not good, that is NOT loading the front of the trailer, if anything you may have made it worse doing that. There is a huge difference in trailer handling with weight moved forward in trailer over weight removed entirely from trailer and put in TV.

Secondly, did you ever actually re-do the WDH hitch setup? I am hoping you actually opened the owners manual that tells you how to adjust it and set it up, with the trailer loaded BTW, and do a ground up set up? Trusting some dude at at the dealer is the last thing you should do when it comes to your life and property. I am not familiar with the the one you are talking about but if it was an actual WDH W/sway control it may have been rendered ineffective due to the air bags.
The reason I am curious, My buddy has a 28' toy hauler that is a wide body unit(102" wide, holds his Razor 1000 no problem) and he tows it everywhere with a 2002 Chevy 1500 2WD with a 5.7 in it and has no problems keeping up with me doing 70 down the interstate and zero sway.

Now all that said, I am a huge proponent of 3/4 tons over 1/2 tons and I am glad you made the switch but I can not help but think your setup was incorrectly adjusted or just plain old incorrect all together as I know it can be done, I have seen it many times.
I sure would hate for weight police types to use this story, while entertaining and informative as it is, as iron clad proof that 1/2 tons can do nothing but haul a pop up when in reality, it may be nothing more than anecdotal at best due to something as simple as an improper setup.
Again, glad you are in a 3/4 ton truck, it is a wise choice but not always the best choice for everybody.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #13

Agreed With RHO. In the end you made a. Great call going to 3/4 truck but there is obviously some confusion in your set up and helps prove multiple points. The first is the point of your story which is buy a HD truck, but the second is understand your hitch. Many times in your story you refer to the WD bars as the sway bars. These are not sway bars. These help distribute weight and while correct weight distribution really does help with sway, it sounds like you were either missing some sway control or that it was not set up correctly. I have a 33' travel trailer that I used to tow we a half to and it towed fine. I went to a 3/4 and it was worse because my entire hitch setup needed adjustment. Now it is much better than the old truck. Good storyt hough and glad you are now happy with your trailer!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

I like a 3/4 ton to two with as well, however I tow with a1/2 ton, but the differences between your and mine is that I have a 6.0 gas engine, heavy duty 4 speed transmission and a 4:10 rear, and it has the heavy duty tow package and factory installed brake controller. It is rated to tow 10,500 lbs, it's a 2008 Vortec Max heavy duty 1/2 ton.
The only thing I did was change out was the tires, I installed 10 ply (E) rated.

I towed a 2006 Forest River Rockwood 8314 SS and use a Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution And Sway Control hitch with 1,200 lbs Spring Bars and never had one problem with this set up.
Now with the same truck I now tow a 2013 light 5TH wheel minus the hitch system.
I am sure you had factory installed tires on your truck and they may not be LT's, this can make a differences with sway control and the other thing is that you can but the best hitch in the world, but if it is not installed correctly you will have sway problems....I know I have been there with a 3/4 ton GMC Suburban the very same hitch I used on this truck. With the GMC I was just about out of control at 51 mph on the PA Turnpike.
I do realize that a toy hauler is heavier and your load is more so in the rear.
The engine and the rear make a big differences, a3/4 ton comes with. 4:10 rear your truck if I had to guess has either 3:73 which is the minuim tow rear you can get or you have a high speed rear for fuel economy.
The dealers will tell you....yes you can tow everything on our lot......they want a sale but the manual that came with your truck is a good guide but you need to know what equipment is in your truck. Payload and tow capacity are the first two things you need to know.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
This Spring I will take it down to the scale house and weigh. We actually had more weight on the rear of the trailer. I had about 15 gal in the fuel cell for the generator on our fall trip which sets behind the rear axles. I also was able to store all gear where it should be instead of the front of the trailer. Overall probably another 300 pounds extra on gear. It is night and day between the trucks. I can drive with one hand and be relaxed and keep up with the others in our group at 60 to 70 mph. The transmission in the new truck is amazing!
did you ever get any kind of weight numbers on your old setup?

also it looks like you went from a reg cab to an extended cab....the difference in wheel base make a big difference..

toy haulers can be a lil more tricky to set up becase you can shift a lot of weight by how you load things in the garage...(ie rzr fwd or back...fuel station full etc)

im planning on carrying my rzr everywhere too, (with a 5er hauler) and its going behind a f450

i think the other big lesson here is to adjust your bars based on REAL weights...wd bars need to be set loaded and based on weight transfer of the TV axles..and air bags can convolute adjustments as well if aired AFTER setting wd bars..on mine i have put in air after adjusting bars and the lift effect of the bag reduces weight transfer to the front axle....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #16

Yeah we got a wild hair and thought maybe we needed a bigger toy hauler. We can put 3 motorcycles in ours or a small car and 2 motorcycles. We thought maybe we'd like to take more toys but that ain't how it works. They build toy haulers with bigger and better living space but not bigger and better toy hauling area and capacity. I guess the only way we can do what we want is to buy a big motor home and pull a 30' cargo trailer. On second thought, we'll just stick with what we got.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

leadhead358
I can 100% understand and relate to your writing. I pulled our 27HFS with an F150 and had a lot of wiggle. Changed to a better WDH and improved it quite a bit but the ride still wasn't stable in the wind, just tolerable. Switched to a 2500 HD and the handling issues disappeared. Stiffer suspension and E rated tires are probably two of the main factors even though my 2500 isn't "rated" much higher in tow weight.

2013 XLR 27HFS
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #18

Sounds to me like you are light on TW and the WD hitch was moving even more weight off the rear axle and tongue. TH`s are picky when it comes to setup. I`ll bet with some time in the hitch setup and seeing what the TW is you could`ve got that TH to behave with no issues behind your 1/2 ton. BTW what kind of "expensive" hitch do you have?
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #19

I suppose I could have been light on TW although the scale didn't show it that way. I did not buy an "expensive" WDH, just a better one. I bought an Equal-i-zer 4 point which worked much better than the Curt round bar and friction anti-sway I had previously.

2013 XLR 27HFS
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
You said that when you and buddies stopped you checked the razor did not move and transferred weight to front of trailer, which is good for sway, but then you said you loaded up the bed of the truck?? That is not good, that is NOT loading the front of the trailer, if anything you may have made it worse doing that. There is a huge difference in trailer handling with weight moved forward in trailer over weight removed entirely from trailer and put in TV.
Since nobody else answered this, I'll take a guess. What I read was that he moved stuff to the 'bed' but didn't specify which bed. Since the bedroom is in the front of my TT, I assumed he meant he put his stuff on the bed in his bedroom, thereby adding weight as close to the tongue as possible, short of being outside the trailer or in the forward pass through.