Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Please read if you are buying a toyhauler !

This may be long to some, but after my experience it may save some of you some TIME, THOUGHTS, MONEY and HEADACHES ! To others it may be just a good laugh!

I purchased a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 with tow package about 6 months prior to us knowing that my wife and I were going to purchase a toy hauler for some trips into West Virginia and around Ohio taking our new Polaris RZR.

After discussing what we wanted we decided on the XLR27HFS Hyper Lite. Yes I spent a considerable amount of time on this Forum and some others trying to find out if the truck would be able to haul the trailer. The dealer (of course he would) said yes the Polaris ZRZ would fit in the 9 foot garage and the truck will pull it with no problem. Others told me it MIGHT pull the trailer, but you will have your hands full. Live and Learn !

We purchased the trailer and it had to be ordered. Now the fun starts. First off I asked a couple of my buddies that pulled work trailers and livestock trailers and they told me to definitely put airbags on the truck. So I did.

I get a call the trailer is in and also the new sway hitch that they will install when I get there.

A four hour trip one way to get the trailer, then do the walk through and put the hitch on. The gentleman that put the hitch on and did the walk through told me that the sway hitch is one of the best and after he has it set up I should never have to adjust it once the trailer is loaded especially with the airbags on the truck. He asked me what I was hauling in the garage and I told him a RZR 800 and he gave me a questionable look. He was under the impression I was hauling a golf cart or a motorcycle. With the look I asked if I was in trouble and he told me 1. the length of the RZR in the garage may be a problem 2. the sway hitch will work just fine 3. the trailer will haul the RZR ok as far as the weight and 4. I WILL HAVE MY HANDS FULL WITH THE 1/2 TON TRUCK WHEN LOADED but it WILL pull it.

So we left for our 4 hour journey back home. The truck did pull the trailer ok. I drove about 55 to 60 with about 80 % of the driving being interstate. The truck has a automatic 4 speed and I think a 4.7 litre engine. As a whole it did fine getting home and this was my first time at pulling a travel trailer. I have pulled boat and car trailers, but never anything this long or with a sway hitch so I did not know what to expect.

The OLD gang found out I have a RZR now and a toy hauler. Phone rings and I hear... HEY you are going with us to Hatfield and McCoy trails in May get your permits and we are going to the new trails down by Virginia.

OK !!! ROCK and ROLL first trip out. My buddy asked me about a week before we are ready to go... have you loaded up the RZR and pulled that rig any where or are you going as a virgin. I said a virgin. Now mind you all the times that I have been down South on Interstate 77, I always told myself there would be NO WAY IN HECK I would pull a trailer down through those mountains!

FUN TIME BEGINS I take the trailer home from my storage area and set it up to go over with the wife how everything works. HA HA problem is we both forgot half the things that we were told at the walk through. Break out the manuals!

I did measure before we bought the trailer the length of the RZR and the garage on the trailer (they had an RV Show by us) and I did know it would be a tight fit, but with a 1/2 ton truck this is as big as a garage as we could get and trailer. I pulled the RZR in and I do have front and rear brush guards on it and it fit, BUTTTTT the brush guard on the back will rub the woodwork to the bathroom door and the front brush guard will rub the toy hauler door! No problem although a HEADACHE I will have to pull the front brush guard off to give me about an inch of clearance on both ends.

Now the day is here we are loaded up and meet the gang at a local parking lot. All the guys look at my rig and say ... Wow the truck and trailer are setting level ... airbags helped out... looks good BUT YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL !!!! Na I said I will be OK I pulled it 4 hours from the dealer with no problem.

Off we go about 40 miles to get to the Interstate. Oh yea ... now loaded with RZR and gear going up and down small grades is a little bit of an issue now with the 1/2 ton, but it is bearable, just GAS consuming! The old tachometer would stay about 3200 rpm then with grades kick down a gear and we would be at 4800 rpm.

Getting on Interstate 77 we are doing ok for about the first half mile THEN at 60 MPH the trailer starts swaying and it is windy and MY HANDS ARE FULL . WOW I did not experience this bringing the trailer home! I backed down to between 50 to 55 mph and it helped, tapped the trailer brakes a few times to stop it from swaying. We went about 30 miles to the first rest stop. All the old gang was there for a FEW MINUTES and waiting on us to pull in. One buddy was on the ground laughing and all the others were snickering. Did you have YOUR HANDS FULL I was asked. Boy you should see your face, you look like you seen a ghost! I got out of the truck and ran back to the hitch to make sure I didn't forget to hitch the sway bars or tighten something. The sway bars were on the 7th link like the man said to put them in, the truck was setting level and the trailer also, so what gives ??? I even checked all the tire pressures again. My buddy said open the back up and lets see if the RZR is centered or shifted and we did. It was centered and strapped down tight. Well if she is swaying you need more tongue weight. Take all your gear and put to the front of the trailer. So I piled the bed with all our gear, took garage items and put up front. Believe me the only gear we had was the RZR, a couple cases water a small cooler with 2 bags of ice, 2 small paper bags of groceries and a suit case. It was not like we were overloaded. I did not fill the holding tanks or fuel cell. We were as light as we could get.

Buy this time I am really getting MAD, NERVOUS, POed AT THE WORLD and HAVE SORE HANDS! Off we go again. We get to the WVA Turnpike and the Mountains and by this time with the wind and the swaying going on I am ready to go home. YES MY HANDS ARE FULL!! At times the sway would be so bad I would have to get down to 40 mph plus tapping the trailer brakes to stop the swaying and was never able to get above 55 mph without it starting. I must say this is the first time in my life that I had felt like a drivers education student for the first time. Both hands on the wheel with a death grip for 7 hours NOT FUN! I am thinking to myself what did I get into? Am I going to have to go through this every time we want to go camping and riding?

Finally we arrived at the campgrounds. YES the truck pulled the trailer there and we made it, BUT now I have BLISTERS ON MY HANDS, I am MAD and not in a good mood. All my friends are laughing about it though and my rig gets named the Wiggle Wagon.

We did have fun riding all week and with some discussion for the trip home we decided to drop the links on the sway bars to the minimum which was 5 anything less than that would have no effect on the sway bars. The weight of the trailer was close to the same on the way home minus a couple bags of groceries and the RZR was loaded the same way. Coming home I was able to get to 60 mph sometimes and still had the swaying problems of the trailer and blisters . I am glad the wind was not blowing as hard.

MANY VALUABLE LESSONS LEARNED ON THIS TRIP AT MY EXPENSE !

Fall Season rolls around and I get a call... HEY are you taking the Wiggle Wagon with us back down to H & M to ride in October, we need a laugh. Yes I will be there! WELL AFTER SOME SERIOUS THOUGHT my wife and I made some changes for the fall trip.

1. I sold my SS Camaro and traded in the truck in on a Chevy 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 with tow package. I had measured hitch height from the 1/2 ton so I could be close when setting up the 3/4 ton hitch for they sway bars to the new truck. When I set the hitch up on the new truck I had to turn the hitch over to get to the right height because this truck sets about 2 inches higher. HEAVIER TRUCK SUSPENSION.

2. I took the trailer on a test run after loading up the RZR and some gear (a lot more than we took on first trip). We went on about a 60 mile trip up and down grades, county, state and Interstate roads.

No sway, 65 to 70 mph down the Interstate. Could this be that I finally made a good call ?

On the fall trip with the toy hauler there was no sway... wind or no wind... 65 to 70 mph down the road... a little bigger motor in the truck 5.0 litre-6 speed transmission. Gas mileage went from 6 1/2 on old truck to almost 8 with the new truck and high rpms on the tachometer was about 3600 and traveling rpms were about 2800. Trailer towed straight as an arrow (buddies followed me).

So in short yes a 1/2 ton truck may pull it, BUT you will regret it and be MAD, GROUCHY, and HAVE NO FUN. Do not believe all the trailer brochures you read! Even though both trucks had the tow package and snow packages the heavier suspension on the 3/4 ton made the difference. It was not the trailer, hitch problems, or tongue weight problems ( IT WAS THE 1/2 TON TRUCK). In fact I put the sway bar back up to the 7th link like the gentleman told me at the trailer dealer on the 3/4 ton.

I have included, so you can see for yourself, my set ups and the RZR in the toy hauler (when I was looking on this forum I could find no pictures of the RZR in the garage). By the way the toy haulers extra rear bed will set above the RZR's top just fine (we have one but not in pic). You will not be able to get a RZR 900 or 1000 in this garage! The black truck is the 1/2 ton and the silver truck is the 3/4 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old tr.jpg
Views:	3417
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	44682   Click image for larger version

Name:	set up 1.jpg
Views:	3653
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	44683   Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr.jpg
Views:	6278
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	44684   Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr back.jpg
Views:	1903
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	44685   Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr front.jpg
Views:	2180
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	44686  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr height.jpg
Views:	2593
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	44687   Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr side 2.jpg
Views:	2061
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	44688   Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr side 1.jpg
Views:	2417
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	44689   Click image for larger version

Name:	new leave.jpg
Views:	1994
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	44690  
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Always Learning

What a read! Pretty amazing that the bigger truck made such a difference.

Have you been to a scale with the camper to find out where you're at with weights (overall, tongue weight and tongue weight percentage)?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Been there, done that, learned that lesson!
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

This Spring I will take it down to the scale house and weigh. We actually had more weight on the rear of the trailer. I had about 15 gal in the fuel cell for the generator on our fall trip which sets behind the rear axles. I also was able to store all gear where it should be instead of the front of the trailer. Overall probably another 300 pounds extra on gear. It is night and day between the trucks. I can drive with one hand and be relaxed and keep up with the others in our group at 60 to 70 mph. The transmission in the new truck is amazing!
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Site Team

There can be so many factors involved with towing. I think you were wise to make some adjustments even if it meant a new truck. Since you no longer have the swaying problem I can't help but grin when I think of "Wiggle Wagon".

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Been there, done that, learned that lesson!
X2

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Great story. I'm sorry you had to go though all that. I think that particular half ton and that trailer is a bad match. I have a half ton, a toy hauler and a sidexside and don't have those problems. But everything I have is different than yours so must have just been a bad combo. Glad everything worked out.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
There can be so many factors involved with towing. I think you were wise to make some adjustments even if it meant a new truck. Since you no longer have the swaying problem I can't help but grin when I think of "Wiggle Wagon".
Ditto. I laughed out loud at "Wiggle Wagon" (then looked around to see if anyone saw me laughing at my computer!).
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

Please read if your are buying a toyhauler !

Be sure your truck can haul it also. We originally planned on getting a toy box tow behind so in November I bought a 2013 left over brand new F350 single rear wheel with a 3.73 axel to have a tow capacity of 12500lbs.

I than made the mistake of taking wife for some input to the CT and NJ RV shows and she said "no way...no how are we getting a tow behind after walking into a few 5th wheels."

The 2014 Vengeance 312a we purchased is 10576 dry!! That leaves no room for much as my Harley is 900lbs and "we have to have her favorite cast iron cookware"....so I would be pretty much maxed out all of the time.

I made the decision to approach ford with my options to upgrade to a Dually with 4.3 axels to increase capacity.
Well the 2013 had 1800 miles on it ... they can't sell it as a used trade-in because used must be over 5000 miles to trade in. To my surprise they bought it back for what I paid!! I did loose the $1000 deposit, aftermarket window tinting, and a set of mud flaps but only made one payment so I basically rented it for just over month and a half.

I was able to get into a 2014 F350 Dually for a great cost, a little higher payment and was able to move the back rack & tonneau cover to the 2014. They also transferred my paint protection and 100,000 mile bumper to bumper over to the new truck.

The dealer now has it on the lot as a "Dealer Demo" vs. used so they can resell it at a higher price than used.

All in all it was a paperwork nightmare, $90,000 in debt with the camper, hitch, truck, window tint, mud flaps etc..... Let's just hope we have great weather this season to enjoy it all.
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Team

it's stories like this one, that make it worth being called a member of the "Weight Police"!

ESPECIALLY for a toyhauler.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Lolol... I want to be safe and didn't want to get stopped so I upgraded to the dually
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Infractee

Heck of a good read, leadhead!

Two things I am curious about.

You said that when you and buddies stopped you checked the razor did not move and transferred weight to front of trailer, which is good for sway, but then you said you loaded up the bed of the truck?? That is not good, that is NOT loading the front of the trailer, if anything you may have made it worse doing that. There is a huge difference in trailer handling with weight moved forward in trailer over weight removed entirely from trailer and put in TV.

Secondly, did you ever actually re-do the WDH hitch setup? I am hoping you actually opened the owners manual that tells you how to adjust it and set it up, with the trailer loaded BTW, and do a ground up set up? Trusting some dude at at the dealer is the last thing you should do when it comes to your life and property. I am not familiar with the the one you are talking about but if it was an actual WDH W/sway control it may have been rendered ineffective due to the air bags.
The reason I am curious, My buddy has a 28' toy hauler that is a wide body unit(102" wide, holds his Razor 1000 no problem) and he tows it everywhere with a 2002 Chevy 1500 2WD with a 5.7 in it and has no problems keeping up with me doing 70 down the interstate and zero sway.

Now all that said, I am a huge proponent of 3/4 tons over 1/2 tons and I am glad you made the switch but I can not help but think your setup was incorrectly adjusted or just plain old incorrect all together as I know it can be done, I have seen it many times.
I sure would hate for weight police types to use this story, while entertaining and informative as it is, as iron clad proof that 1/2 tons can do nothing but haul a pop up when in reality, it may be nothing more than anecdotal at best due to something as simple as an improper setup.
Again, glad you are in a 3/4 ton truck, it is a wise choice but not always the best choice for everybody.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #13

Agreed With RHO. In the end you made a. Great call going to 3/4 truck but there is obviously some confusion in your set up and helps prove multiple points. The first is the point of your story which is buy a HD truck, but the second is understand your hitch. Many times in your story you refer to the WD bars as the sway bars. These are not sway bars. These help distribute weight and while correct weight distribution really does help with sway, it sounds like you were either missing some sway control or that it was not set up correctly. I have a 33' travel trailer that I used to tow we a half to and it towed fine. I went to a 3/4 and it was worse because my entire hitch setup needed adjustment. Now it is much better than the old truck. Good storyt hough and glad you are now happy with your trailer!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

I like a 3/4 ton to two with as well, however I tow with a1/2 ton, but the differences between your and mine is that I have a 6.0 gas engine, heavy duty 4 speed transmission and a 4:10 rear, and it has the heavy duty tow package and factory installed brake controller. It is rated to tow 10,500 lbs, it's a 2008 Vortec Max heavy duty 1/2 ton.
The only thing I did was change out was the tires, I installed 10 ply (E) rated.

I towed a 2006 Forest River Rockwood 8314 SS and use a Reese Duel Cam Weight Distribution And Sway Control hitch with 1,200 lbs Spring Bars and never had one problem with this set up.
Now with the same truck I now tow a 2013 light 5TH wheel minus the hitch system.
I am sure you had factory installed tires on your truck and they may not be LT's, this can make a differences with sway control and the other thing is that you can but the best hitch in the world, but if it is not installed correctly you will have sway problems....I know I have been there with a 3/4 ton GMC Suburban the very same hitch I used on this truck. With the GMC I was just about out of control at 51 mph on the PA Turnpike.
I do realize that a toy hauler is heavier and your load is more so in the rear.
The engine and the rear make a big differences, a3/4 ton comes with. 4:10 rear your truck if I had to guess has either 3:73 which is the minuim tow rear you can get or you have a high speed rear for fuel economy.
The dealers will tell you....yes you can tow everything on our lot......they want a sale but the manual that came with your truck is a good guide but you need to know what equipment is in your truck. Payload and tow capacity are the first two things you need to know.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
This Spring I will take it down to the scale house and weigh. We actually had more weight on the rear of the trailer. I had about 15 gal in the fuel cell for the generator on our fall trip which sets behind the rear axles. I also was able to store all gear where it should be instead of the front of the trailer. Overall probably another 300 pounds extra on gear. It is night and day between the trucks. I can drive with one hand and be relaxed and keep up with the others in our group at 60 to 70 mph. The transmission in the new truck is amazing!
did you ever get any kind of weight numbers on your old setup?

also it looks like you went from a reg cab to an extended cab....the difference in wheel base make a big difference..

toy haulers can be a lil more tricky to set up becase you can shift a lot of weight by how you load things in the garage...(ie rzr fwd or back...fuel station full etc)

im planning on carrying my rzr everywhere too, (with a 5er hauler) and its going behind a f450

i think the other big lesson here is to adjust your bars based on REAL weights...wd bars need to be set loaded and based on weight transfer of the TV axles..and air bags can convolute adjustments as well if aired AFTER setting wd bars..on mine i have put in air after adjusting bars and the lift effect of the bag reduces weight transfer to the front axle....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #16

Yeah we got a wild hair and thought maybe we needed a bigger toy hauler. We can put 3 motorcycles in ours or a small car and 2 motorcycles. We thought maybe we'd like to take more toys but that ain't how it works. They build toy haulers with bigger and better living space but not bigger and better toy hauling area and capacity. I guess the only way we can do what we want is to buy a big motor home and pull a 30' cargo trailer. On second thought, we'll just stick with what we got.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

leadhead358
I can 100% understand and relate to your writing. I pulled our 27HFS with an F150 and had a lot of wiggle. Changed to a better WDH and improved it quite a bit but the ride still wasn't stable in the wind, just tolerable. Switched to a 2500 HD and the handling issues disappeared. Stiffer suspension and E rated tires are probably two of the main factors even though my 2500 isn't "rated" much higher in tow weight.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #18

Sounds to me like you are light on TW and the WD hitch was moving even more weight off the rear axle and tongue. TH`s are picky when it comes to setup. I`ll bet with some time in the hitch setup and seeing what the TW is you could`ve got that TH to behave with no issues behind your 1/2 ton. BTW what kind of "expensive" hitch do you have?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #19

I suppose I could have been light on TW although the scale didn't show it that way. I did not buy an "expensive" WDH, just a better one. I bought an Equal-i-zer 4 point which worked much better than the Curt round bar and friction anti-sway I had previously.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
You said that when you and buddies stopped you checked the razor did not move and transferred weight to front of trailer, which is good for sway, but then you said you loaded up the bed of the truck?? That is not good, that is NOT loading the front of the trailer, if anything you may have made it worse doing that. There is a huge difference in trailer handling with weight moved forward in trailer over weight removed entirely from trailer and put in TV.
Since nobody else answered this, I'll take a guess. What I read was that he moved stuff to the 'bed' but didn't specify which bed. Since the bedroom is in the front of my TT, I assumed he meant he put his stuff on the bed in his bedroom, thereby adding weight as close to the tongue as possible, short of being outside the trailer or in the forward pass through.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote