Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Quads side-by-side

I'm looking to move up to a 5th wheel toy hauler in the next year or so. Right now I've got a Puma 27SBU, which we absolutely love because there are no slides (less maintenance), and it has almost 17' of garage length. I also love that the garage is NOT separate, and is just part of the living room. We have changed ATV vehicles around since I bought the 27SBU, and are at the upper end of extremely full. Also have a little girl who will be able to ride her own little quad in a few years, so I want to plan for that eventuality.

Because of our needs/wants, I've been looking more closely at the Work and Play 38FCR. The only problem is that for me to be able to fit all 3 of our current toys (RZR @ 103" long, 2 quads at 86" long, each), I need a garage area that is about 290" (24') long. That's next to impossible to find. Now, of course all my problems would be solved if I could just get the two quads side-by-side in the trailer, meaning the 38FCR would be a perfect fit for us.

The question is, knowing that the quads are 48" wide, and that the door opening is only 91" wide, am I going to have any chance of having 96" to be able to put the quads next to each other? Or better yet, Is there any way I could side-load them?

If I can't side-load or put the quads side-by side, I'm forced to get a 44FK, which is longer than I'd like, and has the garage separated, a much lower ceiling, and no option for a drop-down bed. I'm essentially reaching a point where I'm thinking I might be better off buying a 5th wheel camper that will tow my car hauler (20' flatbed @ 7k GVW), but that will make things even more difficult, as we like to get deep into the mountains, and would have to drop the trailer and come back for it after dropping the 5th wheel.

I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone can provide for fitting all the toys. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Hello,
I don't think any 5th wheel could haul 7000 lbs behind it safely. That is a lot of weight and at 20 ft long a sway issue aside from the fifth wheel being able to support that weight to start with.

What about getting a Toyhauler with lots of headroom and stack the toys on a lift one above each other?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

If you pull the first one all the way fwd and tight against the wall,you should be able tp wiggle the second one in.If yo have the bunks/seats that fold against the side walls they will have to be removed.We purposely wanted a separate,ventalated garage in ours to eliminate any gas or oil stink in the LQ.I went so far as to plug the hvac outlets back there to eliminate any air exchange.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
If you pull the first one all the way fwd and tight against the wall,you should be able tp wiggle the second one in.If yo have the bunks/seats that fold against the side walls they will have to be removed.We purposely wanted a separate,ventalated garage in ours to eliminate any gas or oil stink in the LQ.I went so far as to plug the hvac outlets back there to eliminate any air exchange.
I can totally understand not wanting that stink. In my current trailer, I have too much stuff on the walls to be able to fit the two side by side. I would guess that even pull-down bed tracks would keep me from getting 96" of width. Is there actually 96" worth of width in the work and play garages?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,
I don't think any 5th wheel could haul 7000 lbs behind it safely. That is a lot of weight and at 20 ft long a sway issue aside from the fifth wheel being able to support that weight to start with.

What about getting a Toyhauler with lots of headroom and stack the toys on a lift one above each other?
We wouldn't have 7k pounds back there. More like 5k. Trailer is around 2,200 lb, and toys are around 2,750. But yeah, I would be surprised if I could find anything that would allow me to pull that behind a 5er.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a near 800 lb quad sitting on top of another. Puts too much weight up high. I actually attempted to do something similar at home to give myself more garage floor space, and I ended up finding that it was more money/time than it was worth. The lift would have to be huge, adding more weight, and I would have had to devise or fab my own ramps longer than 7' in order to maintain an acceptable loading angle.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

FR makes the VENGEANCE which does not have the wheel wheels inside the trailer. Might check it out. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
FR makes the VENGEANCE which does not have the wheel wheels inside the trailer. Might check it out. Later RJD
Problem with Vengeance is the longest 5er is 39', and only has a 13' garage. I'd need 16' at an absolute minimum, and at that point the toys would be touching the front wall, back wall, and each other. The Vengeance Touring has a 14' garage in a 39' trailer, but again, too short. This is what has led me to the work and play being the only one I can find that will fit all our crap :/
Old 04-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Problem with Vengeance is the longest 5er is 39', and only has a 13' garage. I'd need 16' at an absolute minimum, and at that point the toys would be touching the front wall, back wall, and each other. The Vengeance Touring has a 14' garage in a 39' trailer, but again, too short. This is what has led me to the work and play being the only one I can find that will fit all our crap :/
What I see is your tt is only 30ft long now and has a cargo space of 14 ft so I'm little confused by your first post. Later RJD
Days camped in 2016 58
Old 04-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

The XLR Thunderbolt 417AMP has a 16' garage. If you go to the RVWholesalers web page their is a Build Your Own option on the top left where you can easily see all of the 5W toy hauler floor plans they offer.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
I'm looking to move up to a 5th wheel toy hauler in the next year or so. Right now I've got a Puma 27SBU, which we absolutely love because there are no slides (less maintenance), and it has almost 17' of garage length. I also love that the garage is NOT separate, and is just part of the living room. We have changed ATV vehicles around since I bought the 27SBU, and are at the upper end of extremely full. Also have a little girl who will be able to ride her own little quad in a few years, so I want to plan for that eventuality.

Because of our needs/wants, I've been looking more closely at the Work and Play 38FCR. The only problem is that for me to be able to fit all 3 of our current toys (RZR @ 103" long, 2 quads at 86" long, each), I need a garage area that is about 290" (24') long. That's next to impossible to find. Now, of course all my problems would be solved if I could just get the two quads side-by-side in the trailer, meaning the 38FCR would be a perfect fit for us.

The question is, knowing that the quads are 48" wide, and that the door opening is only 91" wide, am I going to have any chance of having 96" to be able to put the quads next to each other? Or better yet, Is there any way I could side-load them?

If I can't side-load or put the quads side-by side, I'm forced to get a 44FK, which is longer than I'd like, and has the garage separated, a much lower ceiling, and no option for a drop-down bed. I'm essentially reaching a point where I'm thinking I might be better off buying a 5th wheel camper that will tow my car hauler (20' flatbed @ 7k GVW), but that will make things even more difficult, as we like to get deep into the mountains, and would have to drop the trailer and come back for it after dropping the 5th wheel.

I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone can provide for fitting all the toys. Thanks!
Had me confused as you ran together and missed the new camper. Thanks for clarification. Later RJD

Days camped in 2016 58