Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Side panels bulging out

We have a 2015 29V tt th. On our way to TX and last night the driver side panel started bulging out. It was late and we didn't notice it. It's on the slide side above the bedroom window. This morning we put it back together and added some painters tape to hold it in place. Does anyone know what could cause this. We plan to have the dealer look at it when we get to TX.
americasweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by americasweets View Post
We have a 2015 29V tt th. On our way to TX and last night the driver side panel started bulging out. It was late and we didn't notice it. It's on the slide side above the bedroom window. This morning we put it back together and added some painters tape to hold it in place. Does anyone know what could cause this. We plan to have the dealer look at it when we get to TX.
From your description its sounds like delamination. In the RV sides the outside panel, the alum framing, the foam between them and the interior wall surface are "laminated with adhesive and then pressure bonded with heat to fabricate one strong section. In your case could be the glue, heat or pressure was not correct in that area and have become loose. Huge job to change a sidewall, best left to the factory.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Thank you. Is this true for the aluminum siding. Because that's what we have. I would assume it's true for fiberglass model. That is why we went with the aluminum. Figured it be an easy fix to replace a section instead of the whole side.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you. Is this true for the aluminum siding. Because that's what we have. I would assume it's true for fiberglass model. That is why we went with the aluminum. Figured it be an easy fix to replace a section instead of the whole side.
Sure, if it's exposed seams and rivet's, otherwise it it will end up looking nasty. Should be repaired properly to keeps its appearance and value.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

help us help you. Just a bunch of guesses if we can't see what you see
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
help us help you. Just a bunch of guesses if we can't see what you see
Huh? If I helped a client 3000 miles away, via telecon, you throw guesses till it works.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #7

Alright thanks. I take a pic in the morning and post it.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

The duct tape is to help keep the rain out and keep it from catching the wind. It keeps popping out. I would screw it but I don't want it to rip the siding. Well take it to the dealer when we get to TX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444224184170.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	90868   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444224195704.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	90869  
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Looks like the lip of the upper panel didn't engage the boss of the lower panel. That isn't too hard a fix for the dealer. However, that duck tape is going to be a bear to get off if it stays on there more than a day or two.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

Ya it already is. Couldn't think of anything else to fix it.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Duck Brands has an adhesive remover that you could use to remove it. However, they also recommend using WD-40 to remove it.

Maybe the repair place has some experience with removing it as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

Duck tape? WD40 to the rescue!
Izzymovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
You have an aluminum panel that was not inserted into the S-Lock of the panel above it correctly before it was stapled at the bottom. Your dealer will have to remove the siding starting from the bottom and then re install so each panel is completely locked in. Its the only way to fix your problem. They will have a problem when it comes to fit around doors and windows when moving the panels up into position. Hopefully if its just a fraction of an inch all will be good.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #14

If its bulging from the nose and the first vertical stud its because there's on cross members and the nose flexes inware.
On mine I took a 3"X38"X1/4" aluminum beveled the edged, painted it white to match the trailer. Then screwed in to the nose stud and to the first stud back from there. That stopped the flex in the nose stud and the bulging. You won't notice the aluminum straps unless you are looking for them.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Cruces View Post
If its bulging from the nose and the first vertical stud its because there's on cross members and the nose flexes inware.
On mine I took a 3"X38"X1/4" aluminum beveled the edged, painted it white to match the trailer. Then screwed in to the nose stud and to the first stud back from there. That stopped the flex in the nose stud and the bulging. You won't notice the aluminum straps unless you are looking for them.

Do you have picture?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote