Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Single Axle TH hauling ATV?

Considering a single axle toy hauler (Forest River Wildwood X-Lite, 3,000 lb dry weight) with intent to haul a 4 wheeler (not yet purchased, possibly 500lbs?) but I'm concerned concentrating that much weight behind the single axle will not be a good setup in that kind of trailer, bad for weight dist. and tongue weight, etc. Perhaps it was meant for small dirt bikes or something. Would likely be using a Jeep GC or Durango to tow, not a big truck.

Any insights?

ChristFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

It is designed to haul toys yes??? The designers did not build it to haul bicycles.
Many come with D-rings installed on the floor to tie down full sized motorcycles.
500# should not be an issue.

cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #3

Would putting that much weight behind the axle create too little/negative tongue weight, which I wouldn't be able to fix/redistribute in this case?
ChristFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

It could. Depends on multiple factors:

1. How heavy is the quad?
2. Where exactly does it sit in the camper?
3. How heavy is the camper itself?
4. How heavy is the tongue weight without the quad?
Etc. etc. etc.

I'm assuming you'll have a WD hitch? If so, you could always allow an extra link or so on the chain when the quad is being hauled.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Looking at the floor plan and pics I found it looks like you can pull the ATV in far enough to put half the weight mostly on the axle instead of behind it. You may be able to pull it even further ahead. One deciding factor may be if it's a sports quad or jacked up utility 4x4 quad which may not fit at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vehicle-2018-New-Forest-River-Wildwood-X-Lite-FSX-Series-180RT-Toy-Hauler-in-Ohio-OH-122675612-5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	159997

Name:	5a4e590db314e968c370d900.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	159998
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

First, the dealer or manufacturer should respond to this question. You should clearly state your intentions and get the dealer to add a statement to the bill of sale that the unit will carry a toy of XXX number of pounds safely.

That said....
Since the unit has a load capacity of over 1600 pounds, it seems reasonable that a toy hauler with that much load capacity could easily handle a 500# toy. That, however, is a pretty light ATV. Be sure about the toy's weight. My big road bike weighs closer to 650#.

The floorplan suggests that the fresh, gray, and black tanks may well be forward of the axle. If that's the case, the fresh tank capacity is about 350 pounds of water, and that will help balance your toy load. Also consider that the pass-through storage under the front bed may be filled with several hundred pounds, including a 2K generator, and, perhaps fuel for the toy. You can check the location of the fresh/gray/black tanks. Bear in mind, however, if you drain the fresh tank boondocking, then you visit a dump station far from home, that ballast will be gone and it will alter the weight and balance considerably.

If you were to load nothing but an ATV in the trailer, you'd probably come close to reducing the tongue weight to zero. But if you think of a typical "balanced" load and the way the trailer encourages you to load up for a weekend, it's likely you'll balance the ATV with all the "stuff" you pack into the trailer in front of the axle.

It's also reasonable to expect that the trailer, designed as it is to carry a large toy, can handle the rear-biased weight reasonably well. The axle may be mounted with a rear bias in anticipation of a garage full of toys.

All up, you unit will put close to 5000# on that single axle....and more importantly on those two tires which are likely to be off-brand Chinese tires. I suggest you go to Harbor Freight and get an electronic infra-red thermometer and check them often when the trailer is loaded and traveling at highway speeds. What you're looking for is more or less equal temperatures for both tires. While you're at it, check the temp of the wheel bearings. A blow-out with a tail-heavy trailer could be the thrill of a lifetime.

You are wise to ask...and investigate. After you buy the trailer, I think it would be a good idea to hook up to your tow vehicle, load the trailer as you'd typically plan to (perhaps with a borrowed ATV), then go to a public scale. Check your weights while hooked up, then back the axle off the scale and disconnect so that only the tongue jack is on the scale. If you're in the 400# to 500# range for a typical trip, you'll be in good shape. (I think the factory spec tongue weight is a bit over 400#) And, with the other weights, you'll know for sure that your typical load is within the limits for the trailer's GVWR. Finally, you'll know if you're within the TV's GCVWR. A scale test will give you quite a bit of peace of mind.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #7

Single Axle TH hauling ATV?

I tow a forest river wolf pup 17rp toy hauler with a fj cruiser. My trailer weighs 2997 lbs dry. A couple things I learned real quick is that single axle trailers are more subject to sway and fish tailing than dual axles. They are also usually very light so when the wind from a passing truck hits it, it really moves which the tow vehicle feels. I usually carry 3 dirt bikes tied to a Bolt it on rack right by the back door and the rear wheels sit over the rear axle. I was so uncomfortable towing it with a friction anti sway setup on my fj cruiser that I had to figure something out. I ended up purchasing a Hensley arrow cub no sway system that eliminates sway before it begins. Now I can tow it anywhere and it tows like a fifth wheel. It doesnít matter how much tongue weight or where the cargo is positioned cause your trailer and tow vehicle basically become like a school bus. Through physics the tow vehicle can move the trailer but the trailer cannot move the tow vehicle. With your close wheelbase tow vehicles Iíd highly recommend you invest in a Hensley cub. Itís pricey at $1700 but how much is the safety of you and your family worth?

Anyways my wolf pup 17rp can has a 5200 lb axle, load range E tires and can carry 2553 lbs according the sticker on the trailer. It would easily carry a 500 lb quad. Just watch out for sway. Donít risk it, get a Hensley. They definitely live up to all the hype. The first pic shows the Hensley at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	160334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	160335  
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #8

I tow a forest river wolf pup 17rp toy hauler with a fj cruiser. My trailer weighs 2997 lbs dry. A couple things I learned real quick is that single axle trailers are more subject to sway and fish tailing than dual axles. They are also usually very light so when the wind from a passing truck hits it, it really moves which the tow vehicle feels. I usually carry 3 dirt bikes tied to a Bolt it on rack right by the back door and the rear wheels sit over the rear axle. I was so uncomfortable towing it with a friction anti sway setup on my fj cruiser that I had to figure something out. I ended up purchasing a Hensley arrow cub no sway system that eliminates sway before it begins. Now I can tow it anywhere and it tows like a fifth wheel. It doesnít matter how much tongue weight or where the cargo is positioned cause your trailer and tow vehicle basically become like a school bus. Through physics the tow vehicle can move the trailer but the trailer cannot move the tow vehicle. With your close wheelbase tow vehicles Iíd highly recommend you invest in a Hensley cub. Itís pricey at $1700 but how much is the safety of you and your family worth?

Anyways my wolf pup 17rp can has a 5200 lb axle, load range E tires and can carry 2553 lbs according the sticker on the trailer. It would easily carry a 500 lb quad. Just watch out for sway. Donít risk it, get a Hensley. They definitely live up to all the hype. The first pic shows the Hensley at the bottom.

???

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
It doesnít matter how much tongue weight or where the cargo is positioned cause your trailer and tow vehicle basically become like a school bus. Through physics the tow vehicle can move the trailer but the trailer cannot move the tow vehicle.
This statement is wrong, Tongue weight does matter. Tongue weight is 10 to 15 percent of the total weight trailer and cargo. With the generator mounted on the tongue is the cause of your sway problem, if you take the time to measure your axle weights loaded and unloaded you will find that you are pushing close to 900lbs on the tongue. This why you have added Load Leveling and Sway control to your trailer.

I have the same trailer and tow with a Ram 1500. Like you I have added a second group 24 battery to my tongue. I added only a Curtis Sway control kit and my tongue is 650 lbs loaded with a 750 lb motorcycle.
racenviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenviper View Post
This statement is wrong, Tongue weight does matter. Tongue weight is 10 to 15 percent of the total weight trailer and cargo. With the generator mounted on the tongue is the cause of your sway problem, if you take the time to measure your axle weights loaded and unloaded you will find that you are pushing close to 900lbs on the tongue. This why you have added Load Leveling and Sway control to your trailer.

I have the same trailer and tow with a Ram 1500. Like you I have added a second group 24 battery to my tongue. I added only a Curtis Sway control kit and my tongue is 650 lbs loaded with a 750 lb motorcycle.

I donít tow with the generator on the rack for what itís worth. There is also a big difference between sway elimination with sway control. Wheelbase plays a big role as well. Mine is much shorter than yours. Ever since I got the Hensley I no longer have any kind of sway issues. What tongue scale are you using to get your tongue weight numbers?

deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle