Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

Switch to 14ply all steel tires?

Iíve got a Wolf Pack 325 pack 13 and finally had a Castle Rock tire blow out. Seriously considering going to Transeagle 235/80/16 load range G 14 ply all steel tires.
Any thoughts?

gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

Carlisle also offers an "All Steel" tire under the model designation of "CSL16".

TBC (Co I retired from) also has the Sailun S637T HD which is all steel.

Here's an article from Modern Tire Dealer (2105) that covers the all steel tire movement in ST trailer tires.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...rying-capacity

One important note, to get the extra load carrying capability wheels need to be upgraded. If conventional ST radial tires are capable of carrying the load there might not be any real benefit to the steel body construction unless one tends to abuse their tires.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

Great article! Thank you for the info!
The tires that came on the toy hauler are rated for dry shipping weight of the trailer with nothing in it. I’m close to max weight capacity including cargo (a SXS) in garage area hence why I’m contemplating the LRG tires. We have steel wheels on our trailer that have near same load rating as LRG tires.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #4

By a significant margin, the trailer tires I hear most people speak best about are GoodYear Endurance. Might give them a look before you make your decision. Best of luck in whichever way you go.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

Definitely do it!
I have run all manner and types of tires on my RV towables, going back and forth between ST and LT. Most of my RV group who run ST, run Maxxis or Endurance.
When replacing my tires this spring, my tire guy (who I trust and who supplies all our farm tires), suggested I try the all steel, 14 ply, G load range ST tires. Said he had been having excellent results with them, especially on RV towables. The cost was within $50 of the total cost I was going to spend anyway on LR E. Tire size is exactly same size as OEM.
What a difference in handling! I no longer feel ANY movement when around a semi, and movement during wind gusts is much reduced. The tire is much stouter and heavier than the LR E tires. I wish I could adequately describe the improved handling these tires provide.
I was concerned about my rims handling the PSI increase from 80psi max cold, to 110psi. He asked what I ran my LR E tires at now when loaded. 80 psi. He said since these tires are the same size, run them at 80psi also. He showed me the load/psi charts to convince me. We also checked the valve stems, and I was already running metal stems rated above what I needed. So it was an easy change, no hassle with new rims. I do run them at 85psi just for a little more load capacity. My rims don't have any psi rating stamped anywhere on them, but he said they would be fine for 80-90 psi.
I have been running them for 9 months in all conditions. Probably around 2500 miles. I can't be happier with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
Iíve got a Wolf Pack 325 pack 13 and finally had a Castle Rock tire blow out. Seriously considering going to Transeagle 235/80/16 load range G 14 ply all steel tires.
Any thoughts?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

Switch to 14ply all steel tires?

Perhaps I need to reduce the pressure in my LR-G tires. My 5er weighs just under 13,000 #ís fully loaded. I have been running them at 100psi. Perhaps 85psi would get me a little softer ride and yet still handle the weight.
Thoughts?

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Perhaps I need to reduce the pressure in my LR-G tires. My 5er weighs just under 13,000 #ís fully loaded. I have been running them at 100psi. Perhaps 85psi would get me a little softer ride and yet still handle the weight.
Thoughts?
Check the load charts for your size tires and actual weights. Takes the guess work out of it
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #8

NMWildcat, I am glad to hear that your 5th wheel is towing better. I wonder how much of the improvement is due to going from load range E to G, and how much is due to being all steel tires? Jay
Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #9

Those are the exact tires I switched to and have had no problems. I run 110 psi on factory wheels, just change the stems and you'll be good.

Steve.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, tire, tires