Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

The Dream Toy Hauler

This forum has been a HUGE blessing to us as we have worked through many issues!
Here is a recap of us newbies: Both are now 60 and are currently debt free (as of yesterday). We have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma, V-6, that pulls hubby's riding lawn mower from property to property (former business was managing our own real estate investments); a 2006 Hyundai Azura; and 2003 Ultra Classic Harley (anniversary edition.)
The dream was always a Class A (hauling the MC), but now I have dashed his dream. We are about to become grandparents (it wasn't looking good) so we plan to use whatever RV we get to park near the grandbaby. (Our guest room is now a nursery.) And I don't drive the MC.
So after GREAT advice, we are now thinking about a Toy Hauler RV we saw at a MC show at Daytona a few years ago and now we can't find it.
We would love a Class A RV Toy hauler that will park the MC in a "closet." It didn't take up all that "precious" comfort space. And then to haul the Tacoma. We will have to make the Tacoma tow-able, so that will be an expense.
We plan to visit EVERY state in the contiguous USA and Canada over the next decade. And spend a lot of time near the grand baby and eventually bring him along!
Anyone hear of such an RV?
Thanks a MILLION!
Best forum ever!
We're getting there!
Debbie for Bill
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

Not a FR product, but these are cool......

2014 Outlaw Garage Motorhomes: Class A Toy Hauler RV by Thor Motor Coach
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Just got off the phone with our closest Camping Workd Dealer,who just told us about these! Going to the web now to check it out!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Check out the toyhauler by Heartland, Cyclone CY 4000 Elite...beautiful & spacious rig!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

www.forestriverinc.com/XLR

Check out the Thunderbolt models - very comfortable and luxurious
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Phat Phrog

We own the XLR Thunderbolt to haul our Harley Road King Classic! We love this RV!!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
We own the XLR Thunderbolt to haul our Harley Road King Classic! We love this RV!!!
Gorgeous! What vehicle do you tow with? Our issue with the 5th wheel or a trailer is that we don't want to buy a truck. We have a small Toyota Tacoma (that is paid for) and we hate to trade it in and finance about $30,000 for a truck that we won't really want to use when we aren't towing! We still haven't figured out what we are going to do....
Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Phat Phrog

Oh I hear and feel your pain in those thoughts! Unfortunately you would need a bigger truck. We had to upgrade our truck to a new to us 2007, 3500, because neither my avalanche or my husbands GMC would have enough power to pull it, let alone to safely pull it. We paid right around that much for this truck, but it really was totally worth it, as we have taken our rig out several times already. It does an amazing job and tows like it is just out for a Sunday drive! We sold my avalanche to help pay for the Silverado, which was my dream truck, and I actually love to drive the 3500 all the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2843615652.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	36779  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

We want to enjoy being debt free! We are saving up for the rig -whatever that is...Bill would prefer the Class A and tow our truck or the MC...we'll have to pick or chose which one to take....but we have figured out no Class A until we can travel for a month or more at a time. We can just take one or two weeks at the most right now....so back to looking for a small trailer we can pull with the truck.
Thanks for the reply and knowing how painful it is!!!
But we know sunny and fun days are ahead!!!

Quote:
Oh I hear and feel your pain in those thoughts! Unfortunately you would need a bigger truck. We had to upgrade our truck to a new to us 2007, 3500, because neither my avalanche or my husbands GMC would have enough power to pull it, let alone to safely pull it. We paid right around that much for this truck, but it really was totally worth it, as we have taken our rig out several times already. It does an amazing job and tows like it is just out for a Sunday drive! We sold my avalanche to help pay for the Silverado, which was my dream truck, and I actually love to drive the 3500 all the time!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Phat Phrog

You are a smart person! We too saved up for our dream toy hauler! It was painful, but so worth it! Being debt free is an awesome feeling!! You should be so proud of the hard work that took! I hope we hear back from you as your search continues! Hang in there....you will find exactly what works, and I hope one day we meet along the way! We love our Harley and our XLR!!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #11

Red face

I now see you're driving a 3500 Silverado. What is your gas mileage with and without towing? Do you think a 2500 would pull it? We're now torn between this and class A.
Quote:
You are a smart person! We too saved up for our dream toy hauler! It was painful, but so worth it! Being debt free is an awesome feeling!! You should be so proud of the hard work that took! I hope we hear back from you as your search continues! Hang in there....you will find exactly what works, and I hope one day we meet along the way! We love our Harley and our XLR!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

I have a Dodge Cummins 3500 & pull a 356 QLB PUMA Unleashed toyhauler 36'
Get about 12 towing 18-20 Solo It does take more parking space.... A 3/4 ton would get about the same........ I opted for a used low milage truck but a new Puma....... This toyhauler is available at less than 30K (We got it out the door taxes & everything for under 30K last summer) ..... The truck was under 20K but I got real lucky on that.........

We went to a toyhauler to haul a golf car & to give our grow kids & now grandchild a private room of the own........

I am sure that there are many class A' s that are toyhaulers ....... CW is not the cheapest dealer around........

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
I now see you're driving a 3500 Silverado. What is your gas mileage with and without towing? Do you think a 2500 would pull it? We're now torn between this and class A.
3500 dually territory only with a Toyhauler (compare the payload & GVWR on each to understand why 1 ton the way to go)

Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

I saw a motorhome that looked like you could load a bike in the slideout. I have a picture of it somewhere that I'll try to find. It was cool.

Edit: The picture wasn't good but it was a Newmar All Star Cycle Hauler Edition Class A.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
Phat Phrog

Quote:
HarleyBill, they say a 2500 won't pull this...at least not without wearing it out. As for gas mileage, we get about 12 miles to the gallon, but on really hilly places like The Ozark Mountains, it does drop. However, it pulls like a dream!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Phat Phrog

On main reason we choose the 5th wheel toyhauler is so we would have our truck for transportation when camping. Like going to the grocery store, or places that the Harley won't go, or for bad weather rides. You can always pull your vehicle behind the class A too.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #17

Lightbulb Toad

My hubby loves our little Tacoma (although his brother said get a Tacoma-but he bought the little one so I won't wreck it parking!!! So now having a hard time convincing him I won't damage anew $40,000 Ford F2500! Just can't go bigger! But then, what's that difference? He just doesn't want to tow much! So he's back to wanting a Class A, add motorcycle lift to the rear and somehow pull the Toyota! But I have a feeling I may be just as happy to follow him in the truck!!!! We get along famously-except we don't like each others taste in music!!! We take turns and tolerate each others!!!
Wow! I think I've just solved a lot if issues!
Lol! Love this forum! Seems many of us solve our own problems just sharing!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Phat Phrog

Quote:
My hubby loves our little Tacoma (although his brother said get a Tacoma-but he bought the little one so I won't wreck it parking!!! So now having a hard time convincing him I won't damage anew $40,000 Ford F2500! Just can't go bigger! But then, what's that difference? He just doesn't want to tow much! So he's back to wanting a Class A, add motorcycle lift to the rear and somehow pull the Toyota! But I have a feeling I may be just as happy to follow him in the truck!!!! We get along famously-except we don't like each others taste in music!!! We take turns and tolerate each others!!!
Wow! I think I've just solved a lot if issues!
Lol! Love this forum! Seems many of us solve our own problems just sharing!
That is so awesome!!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #19

Uh oh....

Quote:
That is so awesome!!
So I told hubby of my plan...he said I might as well bring my own tent then!!!

Guess that idea is out! Today, we are looking at 5th wheel toy haulers!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
We want to enjoy being debt free! We are saving up for the rig -whatever that is...Bill would prefer the Class A and tow our truck or the MC...we'll have to pick or chose which one to take....but we have figured out no Class A until we can travel for a month or more at a time. We can just take one or two weeks at the most right now....so back to looking for a small trailer we can pull with the truck.
Thanks for the reply and knowing how painful it is!!!
But we know sunny and fun days are ahead!!!
Sounds like a great plan !
IMO you will probably be going the class A route. Mostly because the likelihood of finding a toy hauler, to fit HD, and you n dh, that can be towed by a tachoma, Not good. Bigger truck n nicer TH or class A with garage. Kind of sounds like a fun dilemma ! Enjoy !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, toy hauler