Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Thinking of a WIldwood Sport 32 SRV. Have questions!

Howdy all,

I have found a used camper I am thinking of buying. This will be our as first 5th wheel.
Camper is the Forest River Wildwood Sport 32 SRV. Went and viewed it yesterday and going back today to see everything hooked up.Everything looks new. Tags are still on several things. It has been used twice so is essentially new. He bought it 7 months ago and selling due to new kid.

Ordered it with special items, extra long awning that runs most of the length of the trailer, electric front jacks, larger 15k ducted AC, and lager tanks I believe. Stove/oven never been used. Still has the rubber tips on the tires even.

He has treated the roof twice with the recommended rubber roof protector/conditioner. It has several items he will throw in (2 tv's' (Samsung HD 120mhz 32" HDTV) satellite system for camper including the new Dish HD receiver, DVD player, camping mat, Reese pro 15k hitch, and all the necessary hookup items, cords, hoses, etc... Only negative I see is one ac unit and no generator (has generator prep though). He says AC keeps the unit cold on the 2 trips he took this year during the hottest part of our year (98-100 deg). He will sell for $24k.

Can anyone offer their experience with this camper or possibly Forest River in general?

Advice on one AC in a 32' camper? We are in Mississippi and the 2 times he used it he mentioned it keep the camper cool and would not run all the time. He was concerned at time of purchase so made sure he thought it would work.

What about generator. Camper has prep for it but no generator. I have a 5kw genset I use periodically for the house and could use. I would prefer a more permanent solution or possibly a quieter one (honda genset maybe?). Can Honda, other standalone gensets be mounted in the compartment if you route exhaust properly? What do you recommend?

He will sell for 24K. Not a smoking deal but decent considering the use and options/accessories he is throwing in.
Crawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

It's a good deal. This 32 SRV is actually 34' and the 15k A/C will work just fine. We have a Wolf Pack, which is similiar in size, and we did the same upgrade with the A/C and it cools it just fine.

As for your generator, does this come with a fuel station? We ordered ours with a Onan 5500, but use a Honda 2000 for everything when dry camping, unless using the A/C, then we use the Onan (saves on fuel). The Onan and the fuel station use the same fuel tank. As for installing the Genset in the compartment for the generator, I can't answer that one. I have always seen an Onan 4000 or a 5500 on these FR units. I have been told if you mess with the exhaust systems on some of these stand-alone generators, you can damage the head(s) from excessive heat.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

It does not have the fuel station. If I add an Onan then I would need to add the fuel station. Anyone know how much that would cost?

What other options do I have? If I get a portable genset then seem I have to worry how to secure it and how to keep fuel in it (plus carry spare fuel for it as well).
Old 11-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

I was wandering the same thing about the generator just purchased 2011 wildwood 32 without generator.has anyone tried the propane gen set or tri fuel gen set in this unit it has the 2 compartments in front for gen set and fuel station and prewired from there to power hook up would need start wiring to interior installed. About the price of yours i would say thats a pretty good deal with the extras mine is a 2011 new but was bought back from insurance company had some metal damage because of another umit being blown into it damage was minor and i paid 15000.00
CJB6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB6102 View Post
I was wandering the same thing about the generator just purchased 2011 wildwood 32 without generator.has anyone tried the propane gen set or tri fuel gen set in this unit it has the 2 compartments in front for gen set and fuel station and prewired from there to power hook up would need start wiring to interior installed. About the price of yours i would say thats a pretty good deal with the extras mine is a 2011 new but was bought back from insurance company had some metal damage because of another umit being blown into it damage was minor and i paid 15000.00
The fuel station is in the rear of the camper. A 4000 watt Onan retails for around $4300-5000. I've seen them on Ebay cheaper used but I am wary of a used unit. If you have the fuel station already then the gas lines are already there. The electrical cabling is there as well. I figured about $5200 to buy and have a genset installed. If you have to add the fuel station (I wold on this camper) its another $2000.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
05 Chev Duramax

Howdy folks, just reading through your info on the 32SRV and thought I would share my story with those of you that would like to hear a HORROR story that would be straight from Spielberg if he wrote tales like this. May 23 we went and bought a 2011 32SRV. We had done our research, checked comparable and different types and models. It is our first camper, first camping (since kids) and first Forest River product. We had to travel a couple hundred miles to get the exact model we wanted but it fit the bill perfect. May the 24th, 23 hours after getting it home is when the fun REALLY started. We were hit with a hail storm and 50mph winds. Three sides of the trailer, all of the doors on the entry side and the vent cover on the roof were damaged as well as various other smaller parts. The hail was so big that it broke the walk in doors. Insurance called and then it was taken to a repair facility for their estimate. (Forest River Dealer) They were told that we had already scheduled a vacation, they could estimate it, order the parts and when we got back we would bring it in for the repairs. Great no problem. I picked it up on a Thursday. Saturday the dealer was hit with another storm and it cost them a substantial amount of money. (Had I known then what I know now, I would have left mine there a little longer) We took the camper on a 500 mile trip. No big deal right? We were about halfway back and Istopped for fuel and as I got out of the truck I looked up and much to my surprise I noticed that all of the parts for the trailer were not in their assigned places! Now, when the hail hit, it damaged three sides of the trailer, front, rear and entry side. The side with the slide was OK. Now during my fuel stop, I had to climb onto the truck and get my roll of duct tape out to try and keep the front half of the left side (traffic side) from PEELING OFF! I finally got it home, unloaded it and took it back to the repair dealer (not where it was purchased) and showed them my new found use for duct tape. They did some checking and sure enough there was a manufacture defect in the construction of my trailer. Now I ddin't find this out for several weeks after this because I was told that the parts that had been ordered for my unit were wrong and they had to reorder. Next time I called I was told by their service manager that "They were having a hard time finding the graphics for my trailer because they didn't make them anymore" WHAT? This is a brand new trailer! HOW CAN THEY NOT MAKE THEM ANYMORE? A total of three months has now gone by and I keep getting the story of they can't get this or they can't get that and it finally boils down to they can't get the metal to re-side the trailer because of a shortage of materials and storm damage in other parts of the U.S.
Now after it was in the possession of the repair dealer for three months, I'm starting to get a little ticked off? Ya think? We now have the Warranty department of Forest River in Indiana involved. I told them that I am running short of time to schedule another vacation time at work and could the trailer be ready in the forseeable future for us to take it out again? (I mean I've now owned it for almost four months and got to actually see it in MY drive for almost four weeks! Fair trade huh?) So they told me that it would be and I could pick it up on a certain day. They then called me and asked if we would participate in the filming of a reality show documenting some of the problems of owning a RV. I'm like??? Yeah, I own one but haven't seen it in awhile!
So we go to the dealer and do this taping and while we are there we are to inspect the trailer prior to our picking it up and taking this next vacation time. Cool, Huh? When we got into their shop area where the tailer was parked under flourescent lights, we got the surprise of our life. (By the way under these types of light are the ONLY way to inspect any type of vehicle after having bodywork or panel work done on it. It shows EVERYTHING.) Our surprise was that we now had almost as many dents in it as it did when we sent it in???? But these were more democratic! Some were from the outside and some were from the inside. GREAT!!! We pointed all these things out and the film crew is taping the whole time. The service manager even had the audacity to tell me "Well, we really don't know the origin of these dents or if they occurred here." What? You're the only person that's had it! So fast forward another week and a half and we pick the trailer up to take one last excursion before the cold weather sets in. Oh, almost forgot! The day I was to pick it up, I was called and told by the service manager that the guy working on it had slipped and fell into the side of the trailer from a ladder and we now had some newer dents. OK, I can deal with that, accidents happen.
We take the trailer on about a 750 mile trip this time and had a good time----UNTIL----we were almost home (within 10 miles) when the right side peels off while we are passing a slower moving 18 wheeler, almost hits him in the windshield, wraps around the awning post and starts beating all of the panels that had just been replaced from the hail damage! I'm sure that the truck driver had to really, really tip his laundry person for the mess. Because I did and I wasn't in the path of the flying pieces.
And again it is in the hands of the repair dealer and with conversations between us, the dealer, our dealer and Forest River, their current answer is to ship it back to Indiana to the factory, put studs next to the studs that are already part of the walls so that the metal has more area to staple to, reskin the whole trailer and put a fiberglass nose cone on it that is their answer to this problem that they have know about for some time.
So now I've owned this trailer for over six months, had it in MY driveway for about a week and on vacation for four weeks and I'm making payments on it, so that it can be shipped off for another two, three or who knows how many weeks until it gets "fixed?".
I don't know maybe I'm just being too picky!
199ciofpurefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
05 Chev Duramax

Update-Update

Just to let everyone know the current state of affairs with our coach. It was picked up by Forest Rivers transport company on the 9th of Dec. I haven't heard from them since. It's now been three weeks and not a word from Forest River nor the dealership. I would figure (who said I could do math) that with all the issues we have had with this trailer SOMEONE would be keeping in touch with us. Either an email, phone call, messenger pigeon or hell at this point even mail a letter letting us know what is happening. Oh well, todays business environment. No wonder everybody buys Chinese. Now for those out there who are thinking--No way this guy could be having this much trouble with one coach. Surely he's making some of it up. Well let me put your mind at ease and look through the "punchlist" this dealer here sent with the trailer when they picked it up;
o Re-skin entire trailer, new molding, gutter rail, jwrap, new decals
o Reinforce and/or replace wood under siding and nose where siding has pulled off twice
o Install fiberglass nose cone
o Replace entry door (damaged from siding coming off)
o Replace refrigerator access panel
o Replace fender skirt
o New fresh water fills
o Inspect awning for damage from siding coming off and blowing against it
o Inspect roof for damages/possible re-skin
o Inspect/repair/replace wall in bedroom inside and out – bowed in and out
o Repair wall in cargo area – hole on passenger side.
o New door stops/holders, front and back
o Replace kitchen cabinet damaged from leak
o Replace key lock on propane door with non key lock
o Leak detected underneath from fresh water inlet – customer tightened but not sure it stopped leak
o Repair scratches around rear door ramp frame
o All new tires
You would think that at this point it should be cheaper just to replace the trailer huh? Nope they say they're going to fix it. (I've heard that one before) I KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO FIX IT. My only question is WHEN? Now Forest River, national company that they are have (graciously) offered the new tires (after they have to tow it 3 thousand miles to fix it) and a whole months payment for my inconvenience and the dealer has offered to waive the insurance deductible from the original claim. (Most places will do that anyway if they get a large job such as this). Well enough of my moaning and groaning about how much I wished I'd never seen this trailer to begin with. I just hope that someone can use this experience to keep it from happening to them. And remember what I always say; Everything's Chicken but the Gravy and it will work out! Happy Camping (for you that can).

P.S. In reference to the folks buying the used one without the fuel station;
I was told by one of the dealers we started talking to that the fuel station ran around 800.00 plus installation. They have to mount the tank, run the electric, cut a hole for the filler door and various other tasks to get it mounted. They also put a gauge inside so you know where your fuel is if you're running a generator off it. I didn't opt for the generator because I have a friend who has a diesel generator that I can get for pretty cheap. I just don't know if it is big enough. Can anyone tell me how to figure requirement vs output. This unit is a 4k.
11 Streetglide 12 Heritage[/SIGPIC] Softail
199ciofpurefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #8

I have a 2011 32SRVP which I am VERY happy with. The P model is about a $ 2000 option and includes the 25' awning, sliding glass door between cargo and living area and dual electrical QUEEN beds in the rear. I bought it for around $ 23,500 New with a 2 year warranty and the following options: heated tanks, Wallpaper Border (living room) / Kitchen,30# LP Bottles, Spare tire, skylight, cable tv, tub surround, gas and electric water heater, outside shower, rear jacks, tuff deck in rear, electric front jacks, and 15 AC from Jeff Couch RV Nation in Cincinnati, Ohio

I have two heated fresh water tanks, two heated grey tanks and 1 heated black tank.

I didn't get the fuel station or onan generator but they were $795, and $ 2995 respectively.

I ordered a Curt 20k hitch off amazon $ 500, and bought a Champion 4kw generator with RV plug at tractor supply $ 300 since I don't use it much. It is fairly quiet but not a Yamaha or Honda.

Call or email Brannon before you buy!!!
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Sorry for the font must have hit a button. Any way they have a few in stock.

XLR Toy Haulers | Forest River XLR | Toy Hauler XLR - Jeff Couch's RV Nation
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood