Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Tow Max STR blow out

I have a 2016 Primetime Fury with about 3000 miles. Gross weight about 8700 lbs. Had just checked tires for pressure and torqued lugs less than 100 miles previously. Usually do not tow over 60 mph. When the tire blew it did several hundred dollars in damage to the RV. When I checked the manufacturer brochure, it specifies ST 225/75R 15 load range E. Side of the tire indicates 5 ply tread /2 ply side Max 2200 lb @ 65 PSI. This looks like another instance where inferior undersized tires were factory approved. Of course I will now be replacing all 4 tires with true load range E tires. If you are running these on your RV you may want to consider the true costs of a blowout.

RogerWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Those don't sound like load range E specs including the 65 PSI. Sure they aren't D?

I had 2 blow outs with Tow Masters after only having them 3 years. My previous Towmasters were awesome but they were made in the US. The ones that blew out were Chinese.

babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #3

That is exactly what my opinion is. I believe they pushed this RV out of the factory with D's even though it is spec'd as E's. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to this until the blowout so I am screwed. Live and learn!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWo View Post
That is exactly what my opinion is. I believe they pushed this RV out of the factory with D's even though it is spec'd as E's. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to this until the blowout so I am screwed. Live and learn!
I would still contact the dealer and Forest River regarding this issue. If E rated tires are truly needed, cite the brochure and build sheet to see if it lists E rated tires.

The one thing they may be able to hang their hat on is that if the trailer is 88XX GVWR, even a set of D rated tires are rated for 10,160.

I do appreciate the post. I went to Les Scheab looking for tires and their "best" trailer tire was the Towmax STR. I promptly ordered a set of Maxxis M8008's from Discount Tire as they have much better reviews.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Does the tire say D or E on the side?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

Think you did good with the maxxis. They are one of the options I will be looking at.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

I didn't see a letter on the tire. I didn't give it much thought until I read what the brochure spec'd and then compared it with what was on the tire for pressure and load.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

I only use Maxxis on my 24' boat trailer and my travel trailer.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

I paid attention to what others have said on here about the cheap Chinese tires that all RV manufacturers put on their products. I removed those Chinese may pops before I put 500 miles on them and sold all four to a farmer. I installed the Maxxis 8008 and have been trouble and worry free since. I believe the term applied to this situation is called Preventive Maintenance.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Smile

"E" is only a ply rating not the load rating. There is a separate load rating code past the size number printed on the tire. "E" tires can vary 2000# in carrying capacity. Change to LT tires with the proper load rating. You don't have forums discussing their LT tires blowing up. I've been a victim of ST tires and the damage they cause on a previous 5th wheel. My current 2018 Rockwood 5th has about 3k miles on ST tires and I plan on replacing those soon before they explode.
L T ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L T ROSS View Post
"E" is only a ply rating not the load rating. There is a separate load rating code past the size number printed on the tire. "E" tires can vary 2000# in carrying capacity. Change to LT tires with the proper load rating. You don't have forums discussing their LT tires blowing up. I've been a victim of ST tires and the damage they cause on a previous 5th wheel. My current 2018 Rockwood 5th has about 3k miles on ST tires and I plan on replacing those soon before they explode.
Load rating is the exact same thing as ply rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=55

BTW...good luck finding a 225 75 15 tire or anything close to that size that has a 2800# load rating.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Load rating is the exact same thing as ply rating
I agree. To keep it simple, manufacturers use a load rating index to specify what their tires are able to carry. An E rated tire can carry 2800 or more. A D rated tire can carry 2500 or more and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
BTW...good luck finding a 225 75 15 tire or anything close to that size that has a 2800# load rating.
Doesn't seem too difficult as the Maxxis M8008 in 225/75/15 E is rated for 2830 and the Goodyear Endurance in the same size is rated for 2833 pounds.

What's the fuss?

My trailer's GVW is right at 7500 (scale verified) with 6800 on the tires. The 225/75/15 D rated tires are good for 2540 a piece. I figure 10,160 - 6,800 gives me a solid buffer of 3,360 for the set or 840 buffer for each tire.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Doesn't seem too difficult as the Maxxis M8008 in 225/75/15 E is rated for 2830 and the Goodyear Endurance in the same size is rated for 2833 pounds.

What's the fuss?
He thinks he can find an LT tire with that load rating in that size.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
I have a 2016 Primetime Fury with about 3000 miles. Gross weight about 8700 lbs. Had just checked tires for pressure and torqued lugs less than 100 miles previously. Usually do not tow over 60 mph. When the tire blew it did several hundred dollars in damage to the RV. When I checked the manufacturer brochure, it specifies ST 225/75R 15 load range E. Side of the tire indicates 5 ply tread /2 ply side Max 2200 lb @ 65 PSI. This looks like another instance where inferior undersized tires were factory approved. Of course I will now be replacing all 4 tires with true load range E tires. If you are running these on your RV you may want to consider the true costs of a blowout.
Did you buy this unit new or used ? if you bought it new and just now figuring out what load rated tire you have you've been overlooking a very important part of towing .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by L T ROSS View Post
E used to be 10 ply now they are 8 or 6 with a rating of 10 . also please point me to a LT tire with a 15" rim that has a E rating ? I would also like to see 2 E rated tires with a 2000lbs difference in capacity
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #16

I did buy this used. The point I was making was that when the blowout occurred I was well under the max weight of this trailer which is 9800 lbs. Given that the manufacturer specified these as load range E with a 2200 lb capacity seems questionable. I am considering replacement with ST Carlisle Trail HD's load range E. In regards to LT tires, it is my understanding that ST tires were developed for trailer weight carrying use and are preferable for RV use. Is there something that I am missing here?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #17

Quote:
I did buy this used. The point I was making was that when the blowout occurred I was well under the max weight of this trailer which is 9800 lbs. Given that the manufacturer specified these as load range E with a 2200 lb capacity seems questionable. I am considering replacement with ST Carlisle Trail HD's load range E. In regards to LT tires, it is my understanding that ST tires were developed for trailer weight carrying use and are preferable for RV use. Is there something that I am missing here?
You could use an LT tire if there was one that could support your load in the size tire you need but there isn't one.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
The Carlisle Trail HD's load range E is a great choice. I ran them on TTs for many years and never a problem! Ran them until my 1st 5er and changed to LR F on the same tire. Now I run Sailun LR G on my current 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #19

Yes ST tires are for trailers, but every forum has people complaining about blow outs. Light truck tires work better and last longer. Here is a tire that should work for you, about a 1/2" bigger in dia. https://www.performanceplustire.com/...ts:lt23575-15/
L T ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't blame the factory...

Quote:
If the sticker on the side of the trailer called for 'E' tires, then you can bet it came from the factory with 'E' tires.

My guess is that the dealer swapped them off of another RV and put them on.

Or, as you said in another post, you bought this used, so maybe the previous owner swapped them off of their new trailer for what was on this one.

I did that when I bought my 5'ver as I had just put a brand new set of the same size tire on my previous TT a week earlier from the day I traded it in.

And I had my dealership put the BlowMax tires that came on my new 5'ver on my trade-in and the new ones I just bought on my new 5'ver.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote