Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Towing a Toy Hauler

I have owned several TT & a FW and I wanted to share some information.
I Just purchased a Work and Play 275ULSBS.
The Work and Play brochure says Ultra ˝ Ton Towable.

I have a F150 with a tow capacity of 11,300 LBS. with a maximum hitch weight of 1150 LBS.

I checked the specs and the brochure lists a base weight for the 275 of 7843 LBS. and a hitch weight of 1129 LBS.
Since I ordered some options, I knew this would change these specs. I have an on board generator mounted in the front of the camper. I also order an on board fuel station located behind the axels. I also ordered the queen bed in the cargo area. I thought these weights would balance out some and keep my hitch weight done close to the 1150 I needed.
If not I thought I could add a little weight in the cargo area to balance the load. The sticker on my 275 lists an unloaded weight real close to the 7843. I was surprised by that since the generator adds 180 LBS and the other options must add some weight. Any way we adjusted the hitch at the dealers lot and I pulled the TH home.

When I got home I weighed the tongue weight at the electric jack foot using a Sherline scale, the weight was 1450LBS!
I know the 1129 listed hitch weight is dry and I have two 30 LB. propane tanks up front. I also have two batteries up front and this will increase the tongue weight.
But I didn’t expect 1450 LBS.
So I pulled my ATV into the TH, added 650 LBS. to the back and my tongue weight dropped to 1300 LBS.
So I added 240 LBS of water in the back cargo area and the weight dropped to 1250 LBS.
So I added an additional 160 LBS to the back and the weight dropped to 1150 LBS.
I know the weight at the jack foot will be a little higher than at the ball, but this is easier to measure and close enough for my purposes.
Now when I add weight to the front storage area this TW will go back up.
My point to all of this is the Sherline scale at about $140.00 is a must have item for anyone with a TT or TH.
(I do not work for Sherline and I am not in the RV industry, I am a long time RV owner.)
My other point is someone could get into trouble believing the manufactures claimed hitch weight.

I do not want to always have 1050 LBS in the back of my TH and I like having more truck than I need, so I will be buying a F350.

GeoFish

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Not only do I imagine that you don't want to carry 1,000+ pounds at the rear of the rig- I'd worry about your overall hitch weight percentage and ending up too low and inducing sway.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

A good point for us all to remember: What weight we think we're carrying is NOT the weight we are carrying.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

"I will be buying a F350"
Bravo!
Our next TT has a dry tongue weight of 970 lbs. Almost all of the storage is in front of the axles.
My F350 has been built and is on it's way to it's new home.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

The key is to be sure your truck can haul it also. We originally planned on getting a toy box tow behind so in November I bought a 2013 left over brand new F350 single rear wheel with a 3.73 axel to have a tow capacity of 12500lbs.

I than made the mistake of taking wife for some input to the CT and NJ RV shows and she said "no way...no how are we getting a tow behind after walking into a few 5th wheels."

The 2014 Vengeance 312a we purchased is 10576 dry!! That leaves no room for much as my Harley is 900lbs and "we have to have her favorite cast iron cookware"....so I would be pretty much maxed out all of the time.

I made the decision to approach ford with my options to upgrade to a Dually with 4.3 axels to increase capacity.
Well the 2013 had 1800 miles on it ... they can't sell it as a used trade-in because used must be over 5000 miles to trade in. To my surprise they bought it back for what I paid!! I did loose the $1000 deposit, aftermarket window tinting, and a set of mud flaps but only made one payment so I basically rented it for just over month and a half.

I was able to get into a 2014 F350 Dually for a great cost, a little higher payment and was able to move the back rack & tonneau cover to the 2014. They also transferred my paint protection and 100,000 mile bumper to bumper over to the new truck.

The dealer now has it on the lot as a "Dealer Demo" vs. used so they can resell it at a higher price than used.

All in all it was a paperwork nightmare, $90,000 in debt with the camper, hitch, truck, window tint, mud flaps etc..... Let's just hope we have great weather this season to enjoy it all.
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

"The Work and Play brochure says Ultra ˝ Ton Towable."

doesn't mean all the models are towable by any 1/2 ton truck, especially the the heaviest one.
what it means is that it can be towed by a 1/2. but they don't tell you that it may not be a pleasant experience.
if you tow with a correctly-spec'd EMPTY 1/2 ton truck, it can tow it, in ideal conditions(like a flat highway).
but that's not real world as you found out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Key is to have a long wheel base also to help
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
"The Work and Play brochure says Ultra ˝ Ton Towable."

doesn't mean all the models are towable by any 1/2 ton truck, especially the the heaviest one.
what it means is that it can be towed by a 1/2. but they don't tell you that it may not be a pleasant experience.
if you tow with a correctly-spec'd EMPTY 1/2 ton truck, it can tow it, in ideal conditions(like a flat highway).
but that's not real world as you found out.
It has always been explained to me that many of these units may be able to be tow.
But does it have the capacity to stop the towed vehicle. Can the tow vehicle control the towed unit in a worst case scenario such as a blow out when hit by a severe cross wind on a slippery surface.
All things to consider when purchasing our trailers.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #9

Read and heed from experience!! It seems to be the best teacher.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-53124.html
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
It has always been explained to me that many of these units may be able to be tow.
But does it have the capacity to stop the towed vehicle. Can the tow vehicle control the towed unit in a worst case scenario such as a blow out when hit by a severe cross wind on a slippery surface.
All things to consider when purchasing our trailers.
i agree with a lot you're saying but remember the trailer has its own brakes so it's not all on the truck to stop everything.

this marketing ploy that RV manufacturers use, whether it's "1/2 ton towable or "towable by a minivan or CUV" are simply trying to draw in more customers on more expensive RV's.
since minivans are generally more appropriate for popups, if the manufacturers can sell minivan owners the more expensive TT or HTT, they make more money. same thing goes for the popular toyhaulers, if they can get everyone who owns a 1/2 ton to buy the bigger and more expensive TH's, they again make more money.

they could care less if it ends up that the customer finds out that their tow vehicle isn't up to the task and have to buy a bigger tow vehicle.
they'll say that it's up to the customer whether their vehicle is adequate.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, toy hauler