Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #1

Toy Hauler for just dirt bikes? worth it?

I am really torn here. Caught the toy hauler bug and can't get it out of my mind, but I am wondering if it is really the right choice for me or am I just "toy struck" at the moment? I need some honest feedback.

Here is my quandary, my family doesn't have a big interest in camping and 85% of the time I use my camper for myself and friends at enduro/dirt bike race events. Up to now we just load the bikes in the truck bed, attach my travel trailer and were off with little fuss. It works.

I assume for folks that carry quads or side x sides, a toy hauler is a must, but should I spend the extra $$$$ on a toy hauler for just dirt bikes? I would be spending $15k in addition to my trade. I mean what do you really get vs just putting the bikes in the truck bed?

All I can see are two benefits (privacy and weather protection), as far as privacy, your already with the vehicle as you tow, and when you unload at the campground/race, you have to leave the bikes on the outside to sleep a group anyway. As far as weather, dirt bikes especially, are designed for mud/rain/dirt, so your not really hurting them if they are caught in a rain storm?

I am just nervous that I am being impulsive. It would be nice to upgrade to a larger trailer and get the benefit of toy storage, but am I wasting my money for just 2-3 dirt bikes?
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #2

I would say security is the biggest benefit. We moved to a big van to tow our TT and now load the bikes in the van. Leaving the bikes, generator, riding gear, chairs, etc... in the pickup became just to much stress.
We now get home and just park everything and then unload when convenient instead of the middle of the night. We also don't have to worry that things might disappear when we stop to eat or go sightseeing.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #3

First question coming to my mind is How much time do you spend at dirt bike events ?

My wife was into motorcycle racing for a few years. We spent about 1 weekend a month, thru summer months at the racetrack. We also enjoy camping. Her crotch rocket was my pride and joy and I kept it very nice. Enclosed transportation for the bike was very nice to have. Once at the track under the canopy it went.
So we used the TH at the track and for camping.
Now she has since given the racing up. Its not a matter of if your going to crash....its when. Sure you heard that before...lol.
Now our TH is not getting as much use....camping only. However there are times when we going camping that she takes her street bike in the TH to go exploring some twisty roads/sight seeing that might be near the campground.

We also have an atv. The TH has come in handy for the odd camping trip where ATVs are allowed

Just another thing that comes to mind is putting the mud covered dirt bikes into a TH. Without a separate garage more clean up will be required in the living area of the TH?
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

Security is nice, but the bikes are locked down in the truck bed and were only away for 10-15 minutes at the highway food stop eating. Not saying impossible, but not at all practical. Plus I have full coverage on my bike for $100 year...lol. So it is not the end of the world.

As far as time spent, probably 50% of my races are close to home and I do not use the trailer, the other races are maybe 6-7 a year. This includes destination trips for fun riding.

I think my quandary is do I want to spend the extra money? It would be nice to have a bigger trailer and fit more friends, as well as go to new destinations. I guess it comes down to my personal decision, and I would really like a toy hauler, but the frugal side tells me $15k is a lot to be able to put 2-3 bikes in an enclosed trailer.
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
AMG

I have a 35’ TH and I got it when all I had was a Ducati track bike. I wanted ease of loading as the bed is a hassle. Also wanted integrated generator for AC and my tire warmers. I wanted a lot of water on board as the tracks I went to had it but I didn’t wanna move and dump a lot. We camp in it too and it works fine

Sold the Duc. Now have a dirt bike and a quad but still same idea that I wanted the generator, gas station and water for the desert. Great having 160 gallons of fresh and 40g of gas so I can easily enjoy myself out there. No big toys but it’s worth it to me
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
I have a 35’ TH and I got it when all I had was a Ducati track bike. I wanted ease of loading as the bed is a hassle. Also wanted integrated generator for AC and my tire warmers. I wanted a lot of water on board as the tracks I went to had it but I didn’t wanna move and dump a lot. We camp in it too and it works fine

Sold the Duc. Now have a dirt bike and a quad but still same idea that I wanted the generator, gas station and water for the desert. Great having 160 gallons of fresh and 40g of gas so I can easily enjoy myself out there. No big toys but it’s worth it to me

I ride and wanted the TH for all reasons stated above plus make it easier to boondock but the wife had a floor plan she liked and I couldn’t justify to myself the added cost for just me so no TH however since we went from TT to 5th we enjoy our trips more being nicer might be a way to get family more involved as well
Old 03-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #7

I used to race quads in a cross-country racing series here in NC and SC. I had several friends who did the TT with bikes in the back of the truck and they were very happy with that.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #8

TRY THIS-Idaho Tote

I ordered this unit for my new Artic Wolf 5th and will carry our SXS. Check this site http://www.idahotote.com/wp-content/...ote_update.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDAHO TOTE#01.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	165154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDAHO TOTE#02.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	165155  
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

Idaho Tote

Just a note on the Idaho Tote-Since it Bolts directly to your RV as a three point attachment and has axles that rotate with your RV it is "NOT" considered a triple tow but considered by DOT an actual tag unit. You only need to put your RV tag on the rear of this unit as one.
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #10

A lot of toy haulers also come with the fueling station which is a huge convenience for the bikes, generator, etc. Not hauling gas cans in the back of the truck (where we had two stolen while in the grocery store) or in a sleeping area is a huge plus. We mostly use our toy hauler for cook-offs but have hauled the toys for the kids and grandkids. We also haul the golf cart a lot so again having the fueling station on board is a great. Plus having all the extra sleeping space when camping is really nice. Good luck with your decision.
CharlesHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesHerrera View Post
A lot of toy haulers also come with the fueling station which is a huge convenience for the bikes, generator, etc. Not hauling gas cans in the back of the truck (where we had two stolen while in the grocery store) or in a sleeping area is a huge plus. We mostly use our toy hauler for cook-offs but have hauled the toys for the kids and grandkids. We also haul the golf cart a lot so again having the fueling station on board is a great. Plus having all the extra sleeping space when camping is really nice. Good luck with your decision.
As I responded, I have 1 dirt bike and 1 quad and a 35' toy hauler. I love the 160 gallons of fresh in the desert and I love the integrated Onan and 40G gas station. I paid for all that though I'm sure But it really is more convenient for us than having a travel trailer and then having to bring all that in the bed of the truck (to which I couldnt realistically fit the quad, bike, generator, gas, etc.) and even if I could, id be way over payload.

Tags
bike, toy hauler