Old 11-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #1

Toy Hauler Weight Balancing

I recently bought the Vengeance 26FB13 toy hauler and have a General question. How do manufactures set up a trailer for weight distribution on a trailer that may or may not have a 1500-2000 lb toy loaded behind the axles?

Iíve not yet towed mine with the 1500 lb RZR in it, but when towing it empty it did seem like it had a lot of tongue weight. Are they designed with 25% tongue weight when empty to balance out the weight distribution when loaded? Just curious.

Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #2

By looking at a side view picture of your unit, it appears the axles are a good distance behind center. Add the propane, battery and tongue to the total front mass, you have a designed tongue heavy trailer that should tow well with your toy inside,

Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

There’s no blanket statement that can hold true for all. We have a fifth wheel toy hauler that dry is 15% pin weight. We don’t load toys, but we did put a significant amount of weight in furniture back there (300 lbs sofa bed, 75 lbs dresser + more for contents!, a craft cabinet, 200 lbs washer/dryer combo, school/book cabinet, and the all-mighty LEGOs!). We tend to run down the road at about 16% pin weight.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

Your trailer is very similar to mine and while I can't answer specifically for yours I can tell you a little about mine.

Due to the different loadings I have at various times (atv's/one motorcycle/two motorcycles/three motorcycles/no toys) I was concerned about the effect on the tongue so I purchased a scale to remove doubt.

My dry tongue starts at the same weight as yours...~950. At no time have I seen a weight less than that number and I have seen tongue weights up to about 1500.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

Towing a 23 foot trailer with an SUV, I need to be careful with tongue load.

The black tank is in the rear and the fresh tank is in the front, so I can make up to a 550 pound adjustment by filling or emptying one tank or the other.

Shifting heavier cargo also gives some latitude of adjustment.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoin721 View Post
I recently bought the Vengeance 26FB13 toy hauler and have a General question. How do manufactures set up a trailer for weight distribution on a trailer that may or may not have a 1500-2000 lb toy loaded behind the axles?

Iíve not yet towed mine with the 1500 lb RZR in it, but when towing it empty it did seem like it had a lot of tongue weight. Are they designed with 25% tongue weight when empty to balance out the weight distribution when loaded? Just curious.
Second toy hauler but seldom carry heavy toys. YES THE TONGUE IS HEAVY WITHOUT A LOAD. I'm not saying there is a formula, like 25%, but ours
Is heavy. Besure your tow vehicle can handle the weight.

Cat Scale, fully loaded for your trip. Load in back and with no toys on board.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

We bought a Graywolf 26RR this spring & I was concerned about the tongue weight with a 1000# Harley loaded in the back. The dealer assured us that it was engineered to properly handle the load. To reassure myself, I purchased a tongue weight scale & checked it out myself. With the Harley & associated gear loaded in the back, the tongue weight only decreased by 100lbs. Truck & camper handles very well with Harley loaded or unloaded. So, I guess they know what they are doing.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

We have a 35' Cherokee 294rr and the tongue weight only varies 200 pound with the 1000 pound UTV loaded.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
My First Toy Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
We bought a Graywolf 26RR this spring & I was concerned about the tongue weight with a 1000# Harley loaded in the back. The dealer assured us that it was engineered to properly handle the load. To reassure myself, I purchased a tongue weight scale & checked it out myself. With the Harley & associated gear loaded in the back, the tongue weight only decreased by 100lbs. Truck & camper handles very well with Harley loaded or unloaded. So, I guess they know what they are doing.
The tongue weight scales are worth the money! I used mine to set up the wheel chock (Condor) location the first time. I wanted all of the motorcycle weight on the axles and no weight OFF the hitch. I was still surprised at how far forward I had to move the bike to get it right. Naked, no load, tanks empty, 4400# according to the sticker the tongue weight is about 780#. Loaded and ready to roll with 1/2 tank of water the hitch is slightly over 900#. My little 18 footer grosses at 7800#, pretty hefty for such a small trailer but they "used" to build them like a tank.
USS Charleston LKA-113 1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
Rednight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

Hauled mine home from the dealer (80 mile trip) empty and drove like a charm. Highway, 70 mph, steady as a rock.

Loaded it up for camping and put the golf cart and genny in the garage along with everything from the old camper and hauled it with a full 100 lbs of water in the fresh tank, again drove like a charm. Drained the fresh water before coming home, just to see how she would do empty and no change in how it handled.

I know it's hard to believe (that's why I tested it out) but I think someone actually put some GOOD engineering into the axle placement/tongue weight/handling characteristics when they designed my toyhauler! Now if we can just get him to look at floor plan design of some of them, lol!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Hauled mine home from the dealer (80 mile trip) empty and drove like a charm. Highway, 70 mph, steady as a rock.

Loaded it up for camping and put the golf cart and genny in the garage along with everything from the old camper and hauled it with a full 100 lbs of water in the fresh tank, again drove like a charm. Drained the fresh water before coming home, just to see how she would do empty and no change in how it handled.

I know it's hard to believe (that's why I tested it out) but I think someone actually put some GOOD engineering into the axle placement/tongue weight/handling characteristics when they designed my toyhauler! Now if we can just get him to look at floor plan design of some of them, lol!
Have the same trailer and same experience empty. Then i loaded a 4 door rzr in it with the water tank empty. Swayed horribly. so bad it changed lanes once. obviously that was worst case possible. im going to be filling the tanks and trying my hardest to get that 1,800lbs as far forward as i can.
Toverbey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #12

A good investment, especially for toy haulers, is a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale.

I don't have a toy hauler but did buy the scale. After I've loaded the trailer for a trip (lately 3,000 miles or more each) I weigh the tongue. Two jackstands, one on each side of the coupler, with a 4X4 across them and scale on top in center. Lower tongue jack so coupler sits on scale. There it is, your actual tongue weight. No guesses, no arithmetic, just the weight right there on the gauge.

About $125 but considering the consequences of improper tongue weight it's a bargain. Especially for a toy hauler with a garage that can hold lots of stuff.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toverbey21 View Post
Have the same trailer and same experience empty. Then i loaded a 4 door rzr in it with the water tank empty. Swayed horribly. so bad it changed lanes once. obviously that was worst case possible. im going to be filling the tanks and trying my hardest to get that 1,800lbs as far forward as i can.
Hmmm. Might did great with empty tanks but likely because I'm hauling a much lighter golf cart and had it about as far forward as I could go with it (maybe a foot from the sink cabinets). I think if you do move it forward, it will be a pleasant and more balanced trip. Alo check and make sure you're completely level with the trailer and truck, not nose up any. If so, drop your hitch another notch. I've had that issue in the past with a TT.

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Hmmm. Might did great with empty tanks but likely because I'm hauling a much lighter golf cart and had it about as far forward as I could go with it (maybe a foot from the sink cabinets). I think if you do move it forward, it will be a pleasant and more balanced trip. Alo check and make sure you're completely level with the trailer and truck, not nose up any. If so, drop your hitch another notch. I've had that issue in the past with a TT.

Good Luck!
Yep 1500 + lbs on the last 3 feet of trailer makes for a white knuckle experience. we are going to try some better weight distribution before the next go around.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
RV There Yet?

have you tried loading your toys in the opposite direction? if you drive it in forwards/back it out, try backing it in next time. that might shift the weight just enough to make a difference.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toverbey21 View Post
What are you towing it with?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What are you towing it with?
05 F250 6.0L with air bags and WD hitch. im sure loading my toy in backwards will eliminate at least 70% of the problem. if im not happy after trying that i plan on upgrading the ply tires to 12 or possibly going to a 14 with a 16" wheel.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #18

You make a good point on the tires. First TT I bought was a swaying beast unless I just crushed the tongue weight loading full water tanks, empty black and gray, all coolers and water bottle in the bedroom up as far forward as I could get them along with any tools bags or anything over 30 lbs.

Had a couple flats after about 3 years on the crap tires that came on it and bought four new better rated tires and BINGO, my sway/loading issues were gone. So sidewall stiffness was the culprit in my eyes because after that, I didn't even have to haul water in the fresh tank and still had none of the previous problems.

Good tires and proper inflation are critical to a good safe ride.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #19

Don't overlook the tire pressures in the Tow Vehicle's tires. Especially the rears. Rear tires inflated to less than recommended can allow sway that originates in the tow vehicle.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #20

Our 26rr is a little tongue heavy without the Harley loaded. With the Harley loaded, its right at the 10 percent recommended tongue weight. With the Equalizer Hitch properly set up, all is good.

With the new GY Endurance tires stiffer sidewall, it tows perfect. Going down the Interstate I have to watch my speed, last time, I looked down at the speedo & I was going 80 mph. and couldn't even tell the camper was back there.

Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler, weight