Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
RLW

Toyhauler Ramp Porch Cover ??

I have a 2018 Model 242 Sandstorm Toyhauler, 28'. Trying to make/adapt a porch cover for the ramp (see photo). Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar before and how it turned out (what was used)? Still need to make mine more permanent with sewing four canvas patch squares on the roof and installing brass grommets to tie to.

Also, any ideas how to attach a screen mesh to the sides - like maybe some flat screen rectangle pieces which could clip on to the top edges of the cover and hang down to keep the bugs out? TKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porchcover.jpg
Views:	4758
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	178126  
Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #2

For what it's worth, I had a Dutchmen Voltage toyhauler. It had a Carefree awning over the rear deck. I'm sure you could buy the whole assembly, as I bought parts when mine became damaged.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Even with a cover over the deck, it want to be careful, a lot of those decks are weather resistant but not weather proof, you don't want to leave water sitting on them. There are a few discussions out there about TH decks being warped and delaminating due to water sitting on them.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Good point wildcatter. I took silicone over every bolt and flange as well as every other possible point of entry. Three 6 month seasons of wintering in Florida and maybe one small spot of delaminiation before I sold it. I saw a lot of others that had good sized bubbles when they folded up their decks.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
RLW

Thanks all for the tips. Didn't know that about the deck not being weather proof.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

A friend of mine has a toy hauler with the deck. We have a mutual friend who is an RV tech guy and together they figured out a way to install a regular RV awning, non-electric, to the back of the TH. They made mounting brackets, upper and lower, for the awning arms to mount to. When he opens the awning he takes the lower part of the awning arm off and moves them to what he calls the "carport" position. When closed the arms are only a couple of inches wider than the box of the TH. He had concerns as to water damage to the deck so he coated the deck with the material you buy to coat the inside of a pick-up truck bed. A Rustoleum product if I remember right. His idea of protection from bugs is to have another beer.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
A friend of mine has a toy hauler with the deck. We have a mutual friend who is an RV tech guy and together they figured out a way to install a regular RV awning, non-electric, to the back of the TH. They made mounting brackets, upper and lower, for the awning arms to mount to. When he opens the awning he takes the lower part of the awning arm off and moves them to what he calls the "carport" position. When closed the arms are only a couple of inches wider than the box of the TH. He had concerns as to water damage to the deck so he coated the deck with the material you buy to coat the inside of a pick-up truck bed. A Rustoleum product if I remember right. His idea of protection from bugs is to have another beer.
Thanks. I just ordered a Rustoleum product, its a flexible rubber spray on. Will give it a try. Stocked up on beer, should be good now!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
Always Learning

Any reason why you can’t just put a screen canopy out on the porch?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #9
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Any reason why you can’t just put a screen canopy out on the porch?
I haven't found any screen that would be the correct size and shape. Saw some which were peaked in the middle like to go over a sleeping bag or bed. If I could find a rectangular one long enough to wrap around the 3 sides (all one piece) and be around 6 feet high, that would work. Or 3 individual pieces which would hang on each side. But even without the screened in sides, its good for shade and rain cover. I have the canvas patches sewed on and the grommets installed so it all tightened up pretty nice.

Tags
cover, toyhauler