Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Toyhauler tires

Well seeing as the (ST235/80r16 E) Super Trails that came on my rig from the factory seems to be close to the end of their life already only after maybe 3k-4k miles I think im just going to ditch them and go with a whole new set, but leave my spare Super Trail for now. Any one have advice on a decent set of tires? Ive read what seems most people go with the Maxxis 8008 or the Goodyear Marathons. Anyone with Pros/Cons? Opinions about going to LT tires good/bad? We do a lot of desert trip that require us to go off-road for quite a few miles at times. Some beach/sand trips that require us to air down to get through the sand. Didnt really think about that until now but dont know if airing down an ST tire has any adverse effects on it or if its not recommended to.
Thanks in advance!
Ryan
Old 09-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Always Learning

For that size, I'd opt for one of 3 tires. If you're on 7,000 lbs. axles, pay attention to the maximum load carrying capacity of whatever you get.

I don't have a toy hauler, but I did have the same size tires and opted for the Maxxis m8008. They were good until I started maxing out my axles (year-long trip/rented out my house). That's when I came to the realization that my tires had 3,420 lbs. of carrying capacity individually but were on 7,000 lb. axles. I also paid for a weighing where they weigh each wheel individually and found that 2 of my tires were at 3,400 lbs. and a third was at 3,500 lbs. I upgraded to a higher rated tire.

The other thing you have to watch for is how much space you have between your wheels. For me, I had less than 2" of space. Which meant I had on wiggle room on tire size and couldn't increase the outer diameter at all. If I could, there were a lot of options in load range E with the higher carrying capacity. Just something to pay attention to.

So anyway, for recommendations:
1) Maxxis m8008 (max load of 3,420)
2) Goodyear Marathons (unsure of max load)
3) Goodyear G614 (max load of 3,750; but make sure your rims can handle 110psi)

I have also read quite a few recommendations for Saliun tires. They have a higher carrying capacity, but are also larger than my existing tire.

I opted for new rims + tires (17.5" commercial rims and Continental HTL Eco tires), but I'm not sure how they would handle being aired down.

My only issue with going to LT tires is that generally speaking, their carrying capacity is less than an equivalent ST tire in the same size.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #3

I may be dumb for assuming but im assuming the 2 axles are 6k seeing as the GVWR is 12,100lbs. Ill have to double check tomorrow but I thought the sidewall rating on these Super Trails said 3250 @ 80psi. I need to get to the scales but from hand calculating everything im getting close to the 12k when fully loaded down for a trip. I always forget to use google sometimes instead of the forums and found a helpful article that makes me sway towards staying with the ST tires since supossedly the sidewalls are built a little tougher. The clearance space should not be an issue seeing as this thing sits pretty high. I just hope I can get more than 3k-4k miles out of the next set. Thanks for the input, appreciate it!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanq55 View Post
I may be dumb for assuming but im assuming the 2 axles are 6k seeing as the GVWR is 12,100lbs.

The clearance space should not be an issue seeing as this thing sits pretty high.
You're probably right about the 6k axles. In that case, I think the Maxxis tires are a great choice.

I meant clearance between the two tires. They were snug.

As for ST vs. LT - this is hotly debated.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I meant clearance between the two tires. They were snug.
oh oh oh i see...yea im good on the clearance there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
As for ST vs. LT - this is hotly debated.
I realized after i posted! Oops...and i didnt know how to go back and delete either

I think itll be between the Marathons and the Maxxis...thanks again!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
I think itll be between the Marathons and the Maxxis...thanks again!
That's what it came around to for me the first time I replaced my tires. I think you won't be disappointed with either option.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

I am pleasantly surprised at how well our original Westlake Super ST tires have held up on our Work & Play. They're pushing around 8000 miles right now and still look very good. Plenty of tread left.

But I'm obsessive over them. Always 75-80 psi and they never see the sun except when we're camping or traveling.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Well seeing as the (ST235/80r16 E) Super Trails that came on my rig from the factory seems to be close to the end of their life already only after maybe 3k-4k miles I think im just going to ditch them and go with a whole new set, but leave my spare Super Trail for now. Any one have advice on a decent set of tires? Ive read what seems most people go with the Maxxis 8008 or the Goodyear Marathons. Anyone with Pros/Cons? Opinions about going to LT tires good/bad? We do a lot of desert trip that require us to go off-road for quite a few miles at times. Some beach/sand trips that require us to air down to get through the sand. Didnt really think about that until now but dont know if airing down an ST tire has any adverse effects on it or if its not recommended to.
Thanks in advance!
Ryan
It would help if we knew the actual measured load on each tire. This would let us know if you need greater load capacity or not.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #9

They are proud of the goodyear tires at 325 a piece! Worth it I guess, ill be buying 7 of them soon..
NickBoyer186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #10

I picked up a set of Samson st tires for my sabre.
G rated.
Those sidewalls are super thick!

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I picked up a set of Samson st tires for my sabre.
G rated.
Those sidewalls are super thick!

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Don't forget it's not the tire that carries the load but the air pressure.

If your tires do not have a Speed rating and are ST type they are rated for 65 mph Max not 65 average.

Lowering pressure in the sand may be OK as long as you re-inflate immediately as soon as you are off the sand or you need to cut your max speed to below 10 mph.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires