Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Upgraded the tires on my Cherokee Wolf Pack 27WP

After reading many tire threads on here and other forums, I had decided that when I replaced the tires on my TT. I was going to upgrade to a load range D to give myself an extra margin of safety. I had planned on waiting until June of next year and replace the tires right before our 2500 round trip that we have planned to Utah next July. Well that plan was ruined on our second trip to our favorite atv riding spot outside of Mena, AR. I picked up a large rock in the campground that punctured the tire. When I went to get the tire repaired, the tire shop showed me where the rock had broken one of the steel cords and there were strands of the metal cable sticking into the interior of the tire basically ruining that tire.

The tires that came on the trailer were 205/75r15, load range C. To get a load range D tire, I needed to go with a 225/75r15. I had decided on going with the Goodyear Marathon because I get national account pricing on all Goodyear tires and I have run Marathons on my flatbed car hauler for quite a few miles with no problems.

My reason for wanting to upgrade weight range was that just doing some simple math of adding up the dry weight of the trailer and the weight of the 2 atv's that I carry and adding a couple hundred pounds for options on the trailer and gear told me that I was close to the max weight rating of the tires even figuring a 10% hitch weight. I haven't had a chance to get the rig weighed loaded yet. That is on my to do list.

I replaced all 5 tires. I just could not see buying one tire in a size/rating that I was going to replace soon anyway. I was disappointed that my original spare was bias ply when the others were radial. So now I have 3 almost new 205/75r15 and one 205/75d15. I wish I had a matching set of 4, that would be easier to sell.

I admit that I may be a little anal about the tires on my TT but it only takes one instance of changing a trailer tire on the side of the road to decide that you don't want to that again.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. 5.7 Hemi, Helwig 2500lb springs, Bilstein shocks, Superchips Flashpaq.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote